Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activator as step down from longboard?

Looking for a board to make the step down to shorter boards, coming from an 8'0" longboard. I demo'd a 6'6" Spitfire that the shop guy recommended as a good transition 'funboard' size for me. I am pretty small at 5'8" 155lbs. I had a blast on it and was able to catch almost everything I paddled for, very similar to my longboard.

So in looking at my other options I have the 6'6" Addvance, but I thought that would be too much volume for me. Then I Saw the Activator and noticed the rocker was very similar to the Addvance, as well as the tail pulled in slightly compared to the Spitffire. So do you guys think a 6'5" or 6'7" might be a good transition and still allow me to progress to a more short board based surfing style? If not what else might you recommend?

If you found the Spitfire easy to surf I'd push yourself and go smaller on the activator. You'll get more out of it in the long run.

Comment

Thanks PRJ. I was thinking of keeping volume in order to compete with the longboards and SUPs in my area. With the
      spit I was able to paddle in from where they were and not have to drop in on them on the inside.

Comment

Hi Chris, on the 6'6 Spit how did you find it's performance and what sort of waves are you surfing.

Thanks

Comment

Chris i think Potatonator is also a good option paddle and ride excellent.
          Cheers...

Comment

STC keep in mind that I'm a beginner short boarder coming down from a longboard. I took it out in 1-2 foot mush, where everyone had their logs out. Paddled like a longboard and I got up on my first try, can't complain about anything there. I only demo'd it for 1 session so I don't think I learned much about it other than that size and volume can definitely replace a longboard for me, which is why I'm looking at a similar length Activator.

Custom, thought about the Nator, but was turned off by the fat tail, plus I'm actually thinking of getting a Baked Potato which I recently tried and had a blast with, but I obviously caught a lot less waves. I'm really looking for something with length and volume, but with a little bit of rocker plus the pulled in tail which the Activator fits perfectly.

Comment

Always trust your gut feeling but most probably you'll outgrow the board in no time. @155lbs the 6'5" is waaaayy more volume than you need but if you really liked the demo... then go for it.
              Are you looking to cruise on the board or really get into the more technical/radical part of it?. Cause if what you are looking for is just the wave count and glide then you are ok, but for sure you'll be sacrificing the technical potential of the board by oversizing it.
              I would go for a larger baked and a shorter spit so you could get more out of every board. The potato will be closer to the longboard than the spit/activator.
              But the true intermediate between the longboard and shortboard will be the Addvace. Try a potato if you can before commit to the larger activator.

Comment

Iggy, I actually tried a 5'5" Baked Potato and loved it, I think I'm going to get that first then my longboard replacement next. For the larger board, I really am looking for something to cruise and glide with, but with a little bit of performance if needed. I keep going back and forth with an oversized Activator or the Addvance. This would compliment the Baked that I would be planning on using for anything less than head high. Then eventually I'll get a regular Dom, hellfire/Spit as my skill improves.

Comment

Addvance!! suprisingly performant despite its dims, that board was designed to covr what you are looking for

Comment

I am coming from a similar place as you, but I now call my Baked Potato (601) my longboard and my HellFire (700) my short board. LOL
                    BP for small days, HF for juicy days.
                    Last edited by Tescot; 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

yeah to each his own, but that whole domiantor family (Dom, Spit, Act, Potnat) all are great options when stepping down from a high volume, longer board in pursuit of more of a shortboard ride...

Comment

What Chris said. My activator is perfect for smaller-medium sized waves because of its ability to paddle, catch waves easily, and coast over flat sections. At 155 though, I would go a lot smaller than 6'5, I'm 165ish and ride a 6'3, and even that feels plenty big. Though it's a lot of fun, the activator's a good board if you want something a lot easier to paddle than a standard shortboard, but want the ability to turn like one. Best of both worlds, and one of my favs :)

Activator is a fun one even when you get more advanced. Hell it's still my choice of board for anything up to head high (and depending on the wave, overhead as well).

Comment

Working...
                        X