Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any feedback yet what fins are going to work in the ACTIVATOR? Will it prefer quads or thruster?

Anything From Dan Man?

Thanks

Comment

Just paid my money and ordered my new Activator. Should be here next week as I think they are in OZ now.

I feel like I am taking a bit of a punt as I haven't seen one and no real reviews on it yet but I have faith in FW to produce a good design. I went 6'11 and at 52 litres it is right in the middle of the recommended range of the new volume calculator based on my age , intermediate ability and weight. I am hoping for a bit more performance than the Addvance without losing too much paddle power.

Firewire have such a diverse range it is so hard to make a decision. I looked closely at both the Dominator and Spitfire but just liked the look of the Activators slightly narrower tail. I intend to surf this board in waist high to my max of 1&1/2 head high (maybe slightly bigger if they are fat old man waves).

Now for Fins !! I will try some MR TFX with varying size trailers for a start. I dont have any quads to try yet.

See you in the water.

Comment

stoked STC!!! let us know how it goes!

Comment

Byron beachies today glass head high a bit uneven a bit full but nice if your not to fussy. board paddled like my old Dom picked up waves the same. Once up and moving I could feel the difference in tail its responsive as Nev said once you get the speed up it is no effort to turn the board back into the pocket(suited the wave) and drive back out, straight up to the top, up down, super fast then straight back perfect. Did this a few times to get the feel then i started to really drive hard off the bottom up hard snap with small fan of water off the top then gracefully down. Played on about 15 waves and thats what this board is it feels like a board you go out and have fun on play on and I think it's a positive step and a alternate version of the Dom, never tried a spit so don't ask. It's not better then the Dom it's just different. I will post more over next week interested in anyone else's thought and it looks great also set up thruster I think the tail is to narrow for a quad but will try it out fire wire is always a surprise take the spud first time I saw that I thought it was a piss take now it's one of my favorite boards all time

Comment

sounds good! i reckon it looks like a great board for smaller days at breaks where you still have a bit of push and quality to the wave. i bet on the points when it's chesthigh and fairly clean with a good pocket, but not firing by any means, that board would be so much fun. i bet it'd hold it's own when it's firing too though.

Comment

BUMMER !!!

Ordered my 6'11 Activator on the weekend. I called the shop today hoping I could pick it up and head to Byron for some of that Seabass beachie action (after the Dawn Service) as the forecast is looking good. WONT BE HERE UNTIL LATE JUNE. And then they tried to sell me a McTavish Bobsled. I was feeling comfortable about the 52 litres of volume being right for me. Should I drop down to the smaller 6'9 at 46.8 litres, or maybe go a 6'8 Dom at 50 litres. I really wanted this board to compliment my Addvance, particularly when the waves were nice, including a trip to PNG later this year.

Comment

MMMMM Bobsled. Now thats a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                  MMMMM Bobsled. Now thats a thought.
                  Nah, I have 3 mates with them. 2 sold them as couldn't do a bottom turn. The 3rd loves it. "one mans trash" I guess. The Carver on the other hand is a seriously good mid size board for head high and above. I could have used one at Greeny this morning for the bigger sets that were coming thru fast. Easily 1 1/2 head high and the ADDvance felt a bit corky. I think with surf like that I don't quite need all that paddle, I end up taking them late anyway. Making the drop and a bit of width/length for stability combined with a bit of rocker helps cover up any lack of ability.

Comment

Ah yes. You don't hear too many bad words about the Carver. I have a Mctacish Original and absolutely love it to bits. It is a great beach break board that can be nose riden as well. It is blowing a gale from the west here, so the surf is almost dead flat.......spose I will have to mow the lawns. Ha. Good luck with the search. I am trying a few boards, there atre no Addvances around here. The El Fuego looks interesting as well.
                    Last edited by terry; 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Secret spot this morning well not really secret but uncroweded with good banks for a change and i don't want those Queerlanders turning up spoiling it. Activator went like a champion a phar lap after a good sleep. I have got my feet in the right spot i think and this board flys. It paddles onto waves super easy and once your up it just wants to go. I am finding a bit of a problem coming off the top hard finding i have to really push it and it feels the design doesn't want to do it. saying that to float off the top or just do a nice cut back it loves its easy. This board loves to cut back then power back out again. Its really stable in a foam ball if taking off in one or you end up in one while cutting back it seems to stay balanced and just cruises out of it. had it on some bigger sets up to half over head no worries and grovelled inside to see how it would go a and same still went good picked up waves and powered down the line. I am not a aerial man but it feels it wants to take off and it feels like you could do tricks etc. I got a an amazing long ride yesterday on a 5ft wall super clean super crowede but this board just allowed me to zip through the crowd and maintain the speed over those flat spots you have to take to avoid some board house wife on a mini mal, i had a ball. STZ67 hold off mate its worth the wait.

Comment

Hey STC i told the AUS crew to chime in if there is anything they can do to expedite. I am not sure there is though as I am in the states...

Comment

Set it up as quad.........fast

Comment

PHOTOS SEABASS please PHOTOS

Comment

Hi STC

Looking at the volumes of what you are currently riding i think you could get away with the 6'9" and possibly get more performance out of this, as its is almost 6L less than the 6'11" and still 2.1L more than you El Fuego. Just checked our stock holdings and unfortunately there is no 6'11" available until June but the 6'9" is available now (whilst stock lasts). Hope this helps a little

Comment

Originally posted by naturallines View Post
                                Hi STC

Looking at the volumes of what you are currently riding i think you could get away with the 6'9" and possibly get more performance out of this, as its is almost 6L less than the 6'11" and still 2.1L more than you El Fuego. Just checked our stock holdings and unfortunately there is no 6'11" available until June but the 6'9" is available now (whilst stock lasts). Hope this helps a little
                                Thanks Raz, I am going to have a play with the Elf for a month or two. More of an experiment that anything to see if I can surf a board with such a dramatic drop in volue from the Addvance. I am also going to use it as a guage for what size my next board will be. Sounds like the bigger sizes have been popular or was it just lower no.s of bigger boards you got in.

Raz, if you are from the Currumbin factory I would like to thank you for the service the staff from Currumbin gave me. Much better than the local shop I had been dealing with.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X