Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One board quiver

Hey guys,

I have a mate who's threatening to give up his short board & start riding logs cause he does not catch heaps of waves anymore on his shorty & is getting that frustrating point of not enjoying the surf!

For as long as I have known him he insists on only having one board, he likes the familiar & is not real good at changing his ways!

I'm trying to introduce him to the wonders of Firewire be it hybrid or performance & would like to know what the lads/girls on here think would be the best one board quiver?

I know one boards not going to do it all, just need ideas on versatility he usually surfs between 2'-6' from sloppy/full to clean/fast hollow waves.

Currently he rides a 6'2" rusty tufflite, he is much lighter than me so its pointless me letting his lend my Firewires as they are way over volumed for him!

I was thinking the Activator might do the trick for starters.

What do you reckon???????????????????????????????????????????

I reckon the Hellfire or Spitfire or the model you mentioned would all be ideal. If it was me and I could only choose on board it'd be an Alternator, Hellfire or Futura, slightly edging toward the latter two for their better suitability in small waves. I just have a feeling your mate is agree a board favouring paddle which brings the Spit and Dom etc into frame.

Comment

Activator ordered in RapidFire and Futures for a good groveler and good Hybred performance for ok to good/average+ waves. Probably the 6-1 or the 5-11 for him. use the AM-2 fins as a tri or with combo the Rusty quad rears. I am getting a few more waves than I was with the dominator, due to confident late drops as well. My Hellfire reacts best in good to excellant waves. Hellfire not forgiving enough to grovel in less than desireable surf.

Comment

Thanks Fritzkat that was my feeling but not having riden one (no demos out here yet) I'm looking for someone whos had a go!

Can't wait for your Activating report once you get that newbee out & put it through its paces.

Especially want to know if it grovels as good as the dom & can perform nearly as well as the Hellfire once it gets a bit of juice!

Comment

The FUEGO hands down is the ultimate one board quiver .
          Surfed it from 2ft slop to 8ft grinders , the board loves it all .

Comment

yeah Rusty!

Comment

So Chris, if you had to choose only one Firewire board ( thats like some horrid sick form of torture I know) would you choose the EFL for versitility & performance in the wave range I mentioned at the start of this thread?

Comment

I would like to know that as well, give us your thoughts Chris.

Brent

Comment

Hey all,
                  so to me, if you have a stubborn surfer, it would be incredibly important to identify whether he or she even wants a hybrid. To me if I could only have one board, i would want a shortboard because its TERRIBLE to be in great surf with an over matched hybrid and the fact that he is riding shortboard leads me to think that he isn't going to be too psyched to be caught on a hollow day without a shortboard. Knowing that, you might want to push him towards the Alternator line.

If, however, he is interested in a do-it-all hybrid, then the El Fuego and Dominator/Spitfire would be at the top of my list.

Hope this helps!

Comment

*cough* Hell Razor *cough*

Comment

Thanks for your insight Chris, I know its an impossible question with so many variables but really appreciate your thoughts!

Prj, hope that Hell *cough* you have clears up soon! Thanks as well all!

I'll take my mate for a trip to the Firewire demo shop next flat spell!

Comment

So Chris would that be the board you would recommend based on this thread or would that be the one board you would have based on your surf preferences. If you could have just one board for you would it be the Alternator and why?

Just curious.

Brent

Comment

I think I would go for the Hellfire on this one

Comment

Yeah Alternator most likely. Its the most well rounded shape and a majority of days you can grovel with it, its just more work. Then when its decent, you are covered. nothing worse than good waves and a hybrid.....

Comment

Yeah I figured that is what you would say.

Comment

Working...
                              X