Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'6" Addvance or 6'6" Potatonator

Howdy,

Been on a 6'10" Addvance for several years and it's a great board! Interested in going shorter but keeping the same characteristics of good float, easy paddling good performance. Since I have a lot of experience with the Addvance I was thinking of going down to the 6'6 but saw the 6'6' Potatonator. Which model would be a better choice?

Also, I'm 42 5'8" 205 and surf South of Brownsville, Texas which is mostly windblown dumpy surf.

Thank you for any feedback

Hey Tex,
    My opinion is that you go with the addvance here. I think if you are liking the Addvance and want just a little more control and performance, a smaller version of the same board would do the trick. You can get great float from the Potatonator and a different kind of ride, but it may not feel as versatile as the Addvance. On the days where there is a little more size/punch, the Potatonator becomes a little more difficult to surf while the Addvance will excel.

I suppose if you are planning on keeping the Addvance, you could make the argument that a Potatonator would open your quiver up a bit more, but its kind of a preference call...

Comment

Thanks for the information Chris.

I've been a thruster rider for a long time and never have experimented with a quad set up. Currently run the Futures Solus fins and enjoy them. What quad fins have worked on the Addvance and maybe some different thruster options that I might try.

Thanks

Comment

Gudday Tex,

If you are playing around with fins sounds like you enjoy experimenting a bit. The Addvance is a great board and Chris is far more informed than me to make a recommendation, but don't be hold back if you want to try something else. Just don't sell the Addvance !!

The Pnator is a whole different feel and has the potential to reignite the stoke which it is what it is all about. I have found that Firewires have really good resale value so if it is not your cup of tea, you can move it on.

Comment

It would be interesting to hear which of these 2 boards paddle easier.

The Addvance has slightly less volume but a wider nose.

The Pnator has slightly more volume but its all in the tail with a narrower nose.

Comment

man that is a tough call there.

Going to put my stock in the addvance paddling a touch better though...

Comment

Hey Chris,

Just got a hold of a 6'6" Addvance and I am so stoked! We have a little swell headed to South Texas so I'm going to jump on it. I have a question regarding sticker residue. The shop I purchased the Addvance from did a tremendous job in packing the board but their was packing tape residue left throughout the bottom of the board. I understand that their is a coating applied to the bottom and wondered if goof off or rubbing alcohol would damage the coating? What would you recommend to clean off the packing tape residue. Thanks

Comment

Way to go Tex, I'm keen to hear you thoughts on the difference between the 2 lengths.

After trying many models in the FireWire range, a process that I think was initiated by some sadness in my personal life and has taken a lot of time and research, bringing much enjoyment, I'm starting to settle down and now got a 6'10 ADDvance to back up the Potatonator as an every day go to board.

Stoked
                Last edited by STC67; 09-02-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

A sensible move for you.
                  You're buying the El feugo had me rolling my eyes at the ceiling.
                  Of course I'd been reading your posts for a long time and so just knew it was an experiment but you're an Addvance devotee and should always have one in your quiver.
                  I'm sure the 6'10" and you are going to get along just fine.

Comment

Hey Tex, you would be ok to clean it like that. Then you can just re apply nano tech to it once it gets to retail...

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                      A sensible move for you.
                      You're buying the El feugo had me rolling my eyes at the ceiling.
                      Of course I'd been reading your posts for a long time and so just knew it was an experiment but you're an Addvance devotee and should always have one in your quiver.
                      I'm sure the 6'10" and you are going to get along just fine.
                      And we are :)

Comment

Do tell...how about your thoughts on the 6'10" vs the 7'2"?
                        I'd be willing to bet you a large sum of money you'll want to buy a 6'6" Addvance next.
                        :-)
                        Last edited by cuttlefish; 09-23-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

White Spirit is what I use to clean off sticker, deckgrip, wax crap from my boards - cheap and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                            Do tell...how about your thoughts on the 6'10" vs the 7'2"?
                            I'd be willing to bet you a large sum of money you'll want to buy a 6'6" Addvance next.
                            :-)
                            I am still playing around with fins and want to try a set of controllers as I remember SamtheMan saying they went well. I would have thought the tail a bit narrow for a quad but I have some controllers so will give it a go for fun. Might offer a bit more drive in the bigger stuff.

The 6'10 is a bit more manouverable than the 7'2 as expected but still so easy to catch waves. It doesn't quite have traditional shortboard performance but these Addvances stick take offs like no bodies business, makes me look a heck of alot better than I really am. A pitching beachie, if I can nail the take off, the rest is a bonus :)

Yes I have given some very serious thought to a 6'6 !! Might have to demo one but I thoght at 95 kgs I might be pushing it a bit too far!!

Comment

Bet the AMT Robbers would work really well.
                              Spied your El feugo at Beachbeat?
                              The 6'6" will handle 95 kgs well.
                              Much better than the El feugo for me.
                              I demoed the 6'5" in sucky, 2-3'ers at Byron main beach and it wasn't long before I paddled in and switched back to the trusty 6'6" Addvance.

Comment

Working...
                              X