X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7'2 what's next?

First post, but reading this forum helped me in buying my first addvance. I stepped down from a 9'1 bear beau young to a 7'2 addvance and I am looking for some advice for my next board. I am 36, 5'9 and 165 pounds. I ride all winter here on Vancouver Island which has a mixture of breaks, but most are rocky reefs, and I need something for the larger winter swells. I love the ride of the addvance and I am wondering if I should step down to the 6'10 or 6'6 or something completely different. I am intermediate surfer and feel comfortable from 1 to 6 foot waves.

Do you feel ready for something like the Hellfire, Alternator etc or looking to stay with quite a bit of volume?

Comment

I like the the stability of the addvance. The volume is nice, but a reduction would be Ok.

Comment

could just drop down to the 6'6 then?

Comment

That's what I am thinking. Any other models comparable to the 6'6?

Comment

Only if you grossly oversized them which would limit their performance.

For instance a 6'6" Dominator would be very clumsy to surf at your size when you'd ideally be on a 5'10 or even 5'8, but the way the Addvance is designed it works very with with a higher volume.
            I think you'd be stoked on the 6'6". It's have everything you like about the 7'2" but it'd be a little lighter, more responsive and manoeuvrable but still stable and a great paddler.
            All the other higher volume boards are typical designed for smaller conditions so if you're looking for something for when the waves have some more size then I think the Addvance is the way to go.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

"what's next?"

Sell me your 7' 2" :)

Comment

What about a dominator for me? I think expanding my quiver would be also ideal.

Comment

Dominator isn't ideal for larger winter waves. More of a small to medium, fun wave board. You'd also be looking at the 510 - 600 Dominator so it depends whether or not you're willing to drop so much length. Maybe a 600 Hellfire or 601 or 603 Hellrazor?

Comment

I use to ride a 6'4 pumpkin seed, but I found the tail to thin. Do you think I would see a big length difference between 6'4 and 5'10. I do understand that they would ride completely different.
                      Last edited by Fouquette; 09-29-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Fouquette, how did you find the initial step down (longboard to Addvance)? Was there anything in particular that took a while to adjust to? (assuming here that you had only surfed the longboard before making the step to the Addvance - if you previously surfed short boards then probably it was not much of an issue).

I am going to do exactly this (longboard to 702 Addvance) - havent bought the board yet - so was wondering if there was something for me to start thinking about/concentrating on to help with the transition.

thanks

Comment

It'll just take some adjustment. If you're surfing often it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Comment

dtc02,
                            I found the transition very easy. The volume and stable riding platform made it almost effortless. It also helped that I was in Kauai:) I don't even use the longboard anymore, in fact I am selling it. The Addvance does so many things well, especially dropping in on steeper beach breaks. You will have so much fun transitioning that it won't feel like work. The only advice I would give would be not to get to far forward on it. I was used to having my feet just off the end of the longboard and this was the only adjustment. My wave count tripled when I started riding the addvance. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks mate - obviously I know there will be some adjustment, but if (for example) I knew I would have to change this or that technique or approach, then it would speed things up to know in advance. But sounds like nothing specific, which is good news- although guess I'll have to focus on popping up without using my toes - I try not to but sometimes it just seems to happen!

I am mainly getting the board to help out with the steep beach breaks, so glad to know its strong on that point (I expected it would be but still good to have first hand experience).

Comment

Working...
                              X