X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Board 6'10" AdVance

So I was looking for a new board to buy on Craigslist, as I do every Christmas, and this came up. It is 6'10" tons of volume (47) and is super fun. I took it out tonight for its maiden voyage as it paddles great, can go anywhere you want on the wave and is just a fun all around board. I had one wave that went all the way down the beach, made the sections no problem. The waves were 3-4 foot and the only problem I had was duck diving. Little tough to get that big log under those waves so I went with the turtle move.

Anyone have some fin recommendations as it came with some white medium sized future fins. Seemed to go alright, but I am sure some of you have done wayy more research than me.

Brent
    Last edited by hwork50; 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM.

Hey Brent,

Welcome to the World according to Vance (and Nev) I love my 6'10 Addvance. It is the most easy and fun board to surf.

I am a fan of Pancho Sullivan fins in mine and also like the PS sides and an AM2 rear. I have tried the AM2 quads and on't mind these on a faster hollow wave. I am just about to go to PNG and have packed the Addvance.

Have fun & Merry Christmas.

Comment

Thanks STC67 I guess you like big fins. Does the ADDvance go better with the bigger fins? Should I throw a smaller trailer fin in just for kicks? I like to throw the board around and go all over the place, so yes I like it loose. What do you think?

Comment

Yes definitely the bigger side fins I found gave me more drive and feel for the wave and a smaller trailer loosened it up a bit. Half the fun is playing around with fins. If it came with the plastic fins get rid of those and the board does change remarkably.

Comment

Sounds good as it still has the plastic fins it came with. I think they are no namers. Can't wait to play around with the fins a bit.

Comment

How much do you weigh Brent? The bigger fins work well for me but that might be because I'm on the heavy side at 95kgs.

Comment

Merry christmas Hwork,
              Is it a 6'6" or a 6'10"?
              The 6'6" is 48L and the 6'10" is 56L.
              I've wanted a 6'10" forever since I sold my 6'6" a few years back.
              There was a used one in exc cond at my local surfshop I spied last week but bad time right before Christmas (when one has 3 kids).
              I used to run Blackstix EA sides and an SB1 trailer as a centre and it was fine in a wide range of wave sizes (suprisingly enough).
              Tried a wide range of fins in mine including TP1's (too stiff) and even Rasta keels as a twinny (fun in point surf).
              Have fun OS STC67.
              How's your potatonator/addvance quiver going?

Comment

Cuttlefish, I got the 6'10" and am pretty stoked with it as I took it out on its maiden voyage yesterday. Had the stock fins in and it went really well, hit the top, cutbacks into whitewash with no problem. It paddled really well and caught almost everything I paddled for. I am 185 lbs and 6'3" so I like longer boards which is why I sold my SP and got this. I have 2 fin choice to choose from AM1's or AM2's PC. I do happen to have a small trailer fin that would work as well. Any recommendations? I think the AM1's would be best to try first and go bigger if i need too. Merry Christmas as I have 3 kids as well. Should be fun tomorrow with the little ones.

Brent

Comment

Hi guys,
                  I've had an Addvance for over 2 yrs now
                  The first was a 7.02 fcs thruster set up, the best thing I did was to get rid of the plastics it arrived with and replaced them with fiberglass AM2,s. I couldn't believe the improvement.
                  Enjoyed the 7.02 so much that I then got a 6.10 with 5boxes in futures
                  Have tried a number of combinations and absolutely LOVE the Controller Quads
                  Cheers
                  Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam, will be taking it out today and seeing how it goes with some different fins. How much do you weigh? Did you try the AM1's?

Comment

Hi Hwork,
                      Hope the kids had a fun christmas.
                      I was suprised with my addvance (6'6") how I could run just the Blackstix EA sides and the SB1 trailer as a centre and it would hold in so well with so little fin area.
                      So the longer 6'10" with controllers must be a drive monster.
                      If you don't happen to have a set of controllers I know JAM71 (forum handle) is selling some on Ebay right now.

Comment

cuttlefish,

I am all taped out financially so I will have to wait and go with the AM2's or AM1's that I already have. This beast only has 3 fins as I surfed it with the 458's I believe which were very similar to the Am1's. Either way I am stoked and unfortunately have to wait to surf it again. The wind and rain came up again, total bummer.

The kids had a great time as everybody was happy, even the wife!! How about you and your family?

Brent

Comment

Hi
                          I weight in at 95 kg (60yrs young)
                          No I have only tried the AM 2's but if you have the option I suggest you try the quad option
                          For the Addvance I'm sold on it
                          Cheers
                          Sam

Comment

Hi Guys
                            Just saw cuttlefish's response and yes that would have been my assumption that it would be a " drive monster"
                            However the controllers are a contradiction, they hold great when needed ( I've pushed them real hard in well overhead surf and they've never hinted at letting go ) but they seem really loose when you want.
                            As I said I'm sold on them
                            Thanks
                            Sam

Comment

Only problem is that my board is a thruster set-up only. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X