X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Addvance right for me?

I'm here because I like the look of this board alot! But I'm not entirely sure what board is right for me so I was hoping to get some advice from the experts.

What I want a surfboard for:
    Crusing and having fun of waist to chest height waves. As soon as the surf gets above chest height I'll be cracking out the bodyboard. I have no desire to use shorter boards in the future for bigger waves. I just want the board for playing around when its small and or mushy (basically when it absoutly sucks for bodyboarding!).

What is my skill level:
    I'm 28 about 6'2" and 185 - 190lb. I'm comfortable in the surf (been bodyboarding all my life and done wave riding on a stand-up jetski), not athletic but fit enough, and I did play around on a surfboard for one summer when I was a teenager.

What my local surf spot is like:
    A beach break (sandy bottom) and its often small and mushy. There is a point break near by that is often small and rolling with a stony bottom (although it is a fairly forgiving 'stony bottom').

What I am thinking:
    I'm thinking either the 7'6" or the 7'2" Addvance. Plenty of volume and to be a 'learner board'. Easy to catch waves and stay on those small ones.

Why don't I buy a longboard your\ say?
    I have nothing against longboards, and I don't care about looking 'cool' in the line-up anymore but I don't have the space for it in my flat or in my car. I want something that is easier to maneuver and something that will move around a bit more on the waves.

So what are your thoughts? Am I right about the board? Am I right about the size?

Thanks!

Sounds perfect to me

Comment

Do you think the 7'6" is too much volume for my needs or do you think the more the better for what I plan to use it for?

Thanks

Comment

7'2 should be plenty but if you're only looking to cruise it's not going to make or break things by going too big.

Comment

Originally posted by Merkinz View Post
          ...Crusing and having fun of waist to chest height waves. As soon as the surf gets above chest height I'll be cracking out the bodyboard. I have no desire to use shorter boards in the future for bigger waves. I just want the board for playing around when its small and or mushy (basically when it absoutly sucks for bodyboarding!).'
          @Merkinz, you sound like me when I first wanted to transition from bodyboarding to longboarding and now shortboarding. I bodyboarded for over 15 years. I used to dropknee and stand on my bodyboard. I'm not sure what your experience level and fitness is but I would recommend a Sweet or Baked Potato for those weak and mushy waist to chest high.

I came down from a 9' Takayama ITP to a Potato. I didn't think I would be able to catch that much waves let alone paddle on it but I could! It paddles really well and flies through weak waves like crazy. Riding a longboard or a bigger board is fun, but it is more fun with a potato! If you dropknee or standup on your bodyboard, the potato is for you! Hopefully I didn't confuse you. haha!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the comments, I'll check out the Potato boards, I don't dropknee that often but when thewaves aren't that great I often fool around standing on my bodyboard :D ... actually the main reason I though "maybe I should grab a surfboard"

Comment

@Merkinz, you should definitely check out the Potato line. It will outperform a shortboard and longboard in those mushy conditions you talk about anyday!

ALOHA!!

Comment

What about compared to the Addvance? Which out of the Addvance and the Sweet Potato could catch the smaller waves easier? Also would the 6'4" Sweet Potato not be too small to 'learn' on?

Thanks for the suggestion, checking it out now and it looks awesome!

Comment

@Merkinz,
                  The Addvance is a great board but very meaty. The biggest difference between the two boards would be the size (length). Also, the Potato line is much easier to carry and transport.

When riding a potato, you want to go as small as possible. I would recommend a 5'6 no bigger than 5'8 for you since you are a "beginner." Those sizes should give more than enough float. If you are a strong paddler and advanced level, a 5'4 would be good too. The 6'4" Sweet is way too big.

I'm 5'8 and 170-175 lbs. I can ride a 5'2 to 5'4 sweet. I can ride a 5'1 to 5'3 baked. I ride knee to chest high with my spud :D

If you can demo the Addvance and potato, I would highly recommend it.

ALOHA!!
                  Last edited by hawaii_boi; 04-16-2013, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, very helpful! ... now I'm tied between the two. Both boards look awesome and I actually think the SP looks like my kinda thing, just not sure I'm biting off more than I can chew with something that small!

Comment

Can you catch knee high waves on an oversized addvance?

Comment

@hawaii_boi, how old r u? i also started bodyboarding from sandys to pipe as kid until i was 20-22yrs and longboarded since until this past winter. im wondering if we ever crossed. i came up w cavin yap, jk hanoa, shiggy, bonga, reynold and all.

anyways, i will say this due to being kicked out at 20 by my mom (who btw is awesome), i started riding longboards in Waikiki. once u get barreled on a big board. u'll never go back to bodyboarding. Potato or ADD, u'll b stoked. if u go bigger than a 6'10, u might as well get a 9'0. the 6'10 is huge.

Comment

@fokaiHI, I think I was in middle or high school when those guys were pros.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merkinz View Post
                            Can you catch knee high waves on an oversized addvance?
                            Yes, most definitely. However, it will probably just ride like a longboard at that point.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                            X