Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb... should I give the Addvance a go? if so, what size?

Hey everyone,

I've been a lidder for 15yrs + and last year decided to give surfing a go. I bought a 7'9" BIC mini-mal, but I hate it. I can't get used to the sheer length of it and it just makes it feel really cumbersome in the water. I pretty much got sick of it after 2 surfs, so I went out and bought a Chilli Red Peppa being a board suited to small surf, I thought it would be easier to learn on.... not so. I'm not sure if it's the volume of the Chilli 6'2" x 21 1/2 x 2 9/16 = 37.65L, but I can't seem to get it into waves, and spend most of my time paddling and exhausting myself. By comparison, the mini-mal was super easy, just too big. I broke my knee on the snowboard about 3 weeks after buying the chilli, and didn't really take it back out until last weekend when I was reminded of how difficult it was.

I've got plenty of ocean experience, but none when it comes to stand-up surfing. Just wondering if the Addvance would be the way to go? I'd like something smaller than the mini-mal, but easier to paddle and more stable than the 6'2" chilli. It doesn't need to be a do it all board, as I can use the chilli when it gets to chest/head high once I get comfortable enough surfing.. so I'll basically use it for chest high or below surf just to learn on, or for flatter days when there's not much else to do.

I'm 5'9" and 174 lbs and have average+ fitness.

Do you think an Addvance would be that board? If so, what size?

I was also considering a sweet potato, but I think the flat nose rocker might be a little unforgiving for a newb.

Addvance sounds spot on to me.
    If you feel comfortable with the 6'6 dims go with that. If you want to go bigger go 6'10 but no bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Addvance sounds spot on to me.
      If you feel comfortable with the 6'6 dims go with that. If you want to go bigger go 6'10 but no bigger.
      Thanks for the reply!

I'm not actually sure which dimensions would suit better. I usually get pretty frustrated with not being able to get waves on the chilli, but maybe the 6'6" addvance with it's additional volume will be enough..? not sure..

Comment

i dig ur screen name
        Attachment

the ADD is a big board wether its a 6'6 or 6'10. it may be shorter than ur mini mal, but might actually b bigger. I'm not saying not to buy it, but will say that u shud give ur mini mal some more sessions. get ur timing and paddling down to catching waves and the rest will follow. b more patient w ur learning curve. if ur looking for more performance, there r other boards w lots of volume like the DOM, ACT, or JK that might b stable enuff for u to go with.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
          i dig ur screen name

the ADD is a big board wether its a 6'6 or 6'10. it may be shorter than ur mini mal, but might actually b bigger. I'm not saying not to buy it, but will say that u shud give ur mini mal some more sessions. get ur timing and paddling down to catching waves and the rest will follow. b more patient w ur learning curve. if ur looking for more performance, there r other boards w lots of volume like the DOM, ACT, or JK that might b stable enuff for u to go with.
          haha thanks re the screen name, just had to think of something quick and it's the first that came to mind.

I'm not looking for a performance board for this one, as the chilli (that I can't get up on) can kind of bridge that gap, and I need to learn to walk before I can run. I'm more or less looking for something to replace the mini-mal, as coming from a bodyboard, it just seems like way too much board to be moving around in the lineup. It paddles easy (impossible to duckdive though) and I can catch waves with it easy (staying up is another story), but I just hate trying to spin it around in the lineup. Also, where I surf the beachies tend to pitch a little if you delay the take off, and I find with the mini-mal that it's not big enough to get into the wave as early as a 9ft mal, but still big enough to be really difficult to takeoff on when the wave hollows out (I'm talking sub-3ft here) and I tend to nosedive it.

If the addvance is the board for a beginner in terms of volume and volume placement, which would effectively be more of a replacement for the mini-mal.. a 6'6" or a 6'10"?
          Is there any downside to getting a 6'10" for the extra stability?

Comment

cool. theres no downside to the 6'10. i ride it. u cud even go 6'6, but by the time u master the 6'10 u will b looking for another type of board cus u'll always know what u can do w the ADD

Comment

Working...
            X