X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next board - ADDvance 6.10 vs McCoy Nugget vs 7S Superfish XL

Guys looking for opinions on board choice - I am 42yo 6'2" tall 87kg, reasonable fitness.
    Been surfing 12years, but only 20-30 days per year, so intermediate at best. Mostly on a 9'6" performance longboard.
    Standard now is really just cruising on faces, not any wild turns, but looking to improve, if only to keep ahead of my kids!
    Last 12 months been mostly riding a 7S Superfish XL 7'3", which I've enjoyed getting into turns more after the longboard (and easier to travel with than the log!), and still pretty easy to paddle into waves.
    I mostly surf smallish point breaks, and some beachies round west coast Vic in Aus, and Noosa Qld.
    Going on a trip to Maldives in couple of months and looking for my next board before the trip. Will take the long board plus one shorter option.
    I've been told about the ADDvance as a good option by some who dont rate the 7S.
    I note the ADDvance 6'10" while shorter than the 7S 7'3", it is wider, thicker and has more volume.
    Other option I'm considering is McCoy Nugget 7'2 - recommended by mates.

Any opinions or recommendations welcome - thanks

That's the magic of it, the board packs the same flotation as bigger boards in a smaller package.
    More surface area for the same volume and yet more maneuverable. More curve towards the tail, wider point pulled more towards the nose, makes for this board a great cruiser but yet a quite a fun performer. The whole board has no straight rail line.
    Can't upload pics at this point in time but just google a pic of the nugget and one of the Addvance and you'll see what I'm talking about
    Hope this helps

Comment

I agree to forget about the 7s.

I have a huge soft spot for McCoy. I surfed his boards from the late 70's up to and including early versions of the Zap in the early eighties, until moving on to standard thrusters. Then when resuming my love of surfing in the mid 90's I found Geoff McCoy was the only person putting any volume in boards. I've had one McCoy in my quiver pretty much since. My current is a 6'6" single fin interchange nugget. Super loose but also very neutral. More volume than you can imagine. Not as much drive as a thruster. Less speed. I find it much better backhand than forehand. A piece of history from one of the most influential shapers ever.

The Addvance I'd imagine has all the use ability of the McCoy but without the weight. It'd probably be faster. More drive. Probably less loose. A piece of history in the making perhaps.

Personally, I'd get both the McCoy and the Addvance, but get the McCoy in a single fin set up.

Comment

Hi, My advice born from experience is go for the Addvance. I've had the 7S and while it was OK the Addvance surfs rings around it. I've also had a 6'8" McCoy and altho' I know alot of guys really rate the Nugget (and rip on them too) I just couldn't get the hang of it. Too much area and float in the tail for me. I've also surfed the Dominator extensively in all types of surf up to well over head high, it really is a great board. But from reading your post I would suggest the Addvance, maybe even consider going down to the 6'10". I had a 7'2" addvance and loved it so much that it became my go to board. Unless the surf was pumping I would ride it in almost any thing, from small to well overhead, it handles it all. I'm 95kg and 60yrs young and I enjoy the Addvance as an alternative to a longboard, so much so that I bought the 6'10". You say you have friends with Nuggets I suggest you ask one of them to let you try one, see if you like it. As you can see I'm endorsing the Addvance, believe me you wont regret it.

Comment

Hi MeeMushMee,

The Superfish and the ADDvance are 2 very different boards IMHO. I have surfed both and this is my interpretation on them.

The superfish has a lot of volume thanks to the stepped rails but also is a vary flat rocker board. I found it paddles well and surfs fast, faster than the ADDvance. I did find it a quite stiff but I was on an 8 footer so maybe the 7 footer is better.

I think the ADDvance has a lot more rocker but still lot of volume. Usually I would think more rocker equals less paddle but this does not seem to be the case with the ADDvance. It has an amazing ability to pick up waves early. I also find the extra rocker allows much later takeoffs on steeper waves, I don't think it has ever let met down taking a drop whereas the super fish won't give you that leniency. The ADDvance is also a very maneuverable board given the rocker. At the moment it is my go to board for beach breaks and if I can only take 1 board, this is it.

I plan to go to Indo this year and will take the HP longboard, the ADDvance. I would be quite happy to take a super fish but you need to surf a little further out on the face, rather than in the pocket, my ability doesn't warrant much more than any of these boards. Like you my surfing is not radical but my priority is wave count. Whatever boards you take, make sure you have the fins sorted before you go. I find on the higher volume boards like the ADDvance and SF, fin selection makes a big difference.

I hope this helps. Have fun.

Comment

PS. I have a lot of mates who surf the SF and rave about it. Yet to see one with a decent glass job but the epoxy's might be ok. Also I note the new 2012 model has a little more rocker than the old version.

Comment

thanks guys for your input - really useful.
              Reckon I will try a demo of the ADDvance, sounds like the go
              cheers

Comment

Attachment Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

I suppose its not suprising there's no love for McCoy on a Firewire forum (myself excluded)! I have to say though I reckon as a thruster they are a perfect board for an older intermediate gent looking for a shortboard (in the sense it's not long, not in the HPSB sense), and as a single fin are a delight for us McCoy afficianados. Not steering you away from the Addvance by the way which is an equally valid choice for much the same user, and is probably more mainstream in design thinking.

Comment

I think the nuggets suit back foot surfers.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely agree with that.

Comment

yeah both good boards and shapes. I personally don't know the McCoy board, but I do know the addvance has had people raving on it in places that were steep and fast like the maldives, but then go home and have a blast back home in more average surf. I think you would happily cover the bases on a 6'10 Addvance!!

Cheers

Comment

PPPPPPS I've demoed one of the Surftech McCoys some time ago and they feel all wrong. I think with McCoys the density of the trad foam and the heavy glass jobs work. Not sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by samtheman View Post
                            I'm 95kg and 60yrs young and I enjoy the Addvance as an alternative to a longboard, so much so that I bought the 6'10". .
                            Hey Sam, not sure if your still checking in but how did you find the difference between the 702 and 610 Addvance. Did the 610 offer more performance, particularly in bigger better waves?

Cheers

Comment

Hi,
                              Yes definitely, the 6 10 Addvance has now become my go to board in virtually all surf,
                              really easy to throw around and definitely handles both big and small stuff.
                              All in all a really versatile board.
                              Currently riding it with Futures Controller Quads and love them, mind you the big AM 2's worked well as a thruster too!
                              Seriously I'd take this board anywhere,

Samtheman
                              Last edited by samtheman; 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X