X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'6 or 6'10

I am a relative beginner with one year's experience mostly on mini mals and more recently a 9' long board. I am 6'1, 165 and looking for a step down board for a wide variety of conditions. I tried a 6'4 Dominator recently, but to be honest struggled quite a bit, especially if the waves were smaller. A friend loved it and I've sold it to him. I'm pretty sure the Addvance is the right board, just not sure if I should go straight to the 6'6? Any advice?

if u struggled on a 6'4, u'd probably want to go w/ a 6'10. the 6'10 ADD can handle big and small stuff, but works best chest high+. i've ridden mine for a while now and wud only get a 6'6 if the waves r pumping and i wudnt have to deal w/ a lot of big boards. the 6'10 paddles like a 9'0 to me, but is very versatile in different conditions, crowds, performance, etc...

Comment

I'm pretty much a beginner moving to intermediate and I have the 6' 10" (only taken it out once).

Wondering what would be the benefits of going 6' 6"? As far as I know it's tough to duck dive the 6' 6" anyways, seems like it's better to go a little bigger if anything rather than too small.

So my feeling is the 6' 10" too, however I'm not the most experienced surfer so feel free to disregard this advice!

Comment

@reserves, if you can paddle, catch waves, and surf decent, get a Potato, Pnator, or dominator...a lot more fun! :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

• reserves
          reserves commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure if this is meant for me or dinarobin, I'm not good enough to make the most of my Addvance at the mo, but would love to get a Potato sometime in the future

Thanks for the replies. 6'10 seems the best option. Only reason I considered the 6'6 was to be be able to duck dive and make more manageable in bigger conditions, but as reserves points out duck diving 48 liters at 165 pounds is going to be tricky anyway. The extra float of the 6'10 will also help paddling against longboards and surfing smaller, mushy stuff. Pity there's not a 6'8 option as the gap between 6'6 at 21,5" wide and the 6'10 at 22,5" wide is pretty big. Thanks again

Comment

@hawaii_boi... cnon now. u know i have a lot of fun on my ADD. no worry, i'll remind u over the next couple weeks. getting hyped already.

Comment

@fokaiHI haha yea I see you catching all the waves with the ADD. However, i'm sure you have way more fun on the Baked! Just save me a wave or two! haha! see you in the water!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by reserves View Post
              I'm pretty much a beginner moving to intermediate and I have the 6' 10" (only taken it out once).

Wondering what would be the benefits of going 6' 6"? As far as I know it's tough to duck dive the 6' 6" anyways, seems like it's better to go a little bigger if anything rather than too small.

So my feeling is the 6' 10" too, however I'm not the most experienced surfer so feel free to disregard this advice!
              You'll probably have to turtle instead of duck dive with that much float. I have a hard time duck diving head high+ with my Sweet Potato (35.7L).

ALOHA!!

Comment

Is it crazy to buy a 7'6" Addvance for a 165 lb longboarder that surfs mostly in SoCal beach breaks but is going to Indo for 2 weeks? I love my 9'8 log but can also catch waves on a 7'2 pug on 1-3 ft days. I love the flotation and stability of longer board when going down steeper drops...kind of Greg Noll style.

Comment

Working...
                X