X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from 6'10 to what?

So I have had my 6'10 addvance for about a year and a half now and have really enjoyed it. I only get to surf on trips at the moment 2-3 a year maybe 4-5 weeks total. the downside is a lack of regular surfing but the upside is quality waves when I do get the chance. Last time was two weeks in Indo, nowhere too heavy but lots of fun. Moral of the story by the end of a trip I am feeling pretty good about my surfing and start to wonder about downsizing my board. My main goal in this is to gain a bit more maneuverability and speed perhaps even the opportunity to duck dive. At the same time I don't want to end up with something that I can't catch waves on. I'm 176lb about 6 foot with decent fitness and I'd put myself as an early intermediate in terms of ability. Boards that have caught my eye and fit me according to the volume calculator are the 6'6 Spitfire and I am also rather partial to the idea of 6'6 addvance as I have enjoyed the 6'10. The Dominator is in there but not too sure about it. I am not looking to build a quiver so much as have something that will go well in most conditions. I know this is not the most original post but I am interested in what you guys think, is it even worth it to go from the 6'10 to the 6'6?

i seem to always fall back on the 6'10 due to the fact that i always have tons of waves and fun. my 6'6 SF is not nearly as fun and oversized. i do have a large quiver tho, but i wud really like a 6'6 ADD. i pretty much ride 3-4 different boards a week, but if i had to choose between a 6'6 ADD vs any other 6'6, it wud b the ADD. i do have pretty sic 6'6 now, but when i break it, i will replace it w the ADD

Comment

The Spitfire would be a logical progression off the Addvance if you want to gain more maneuverability like you said. If you like the volume of the ADD, however, you might also like the Potatonator. You will ride the PN much shorter than your ADD, but you will still maintain the ability to catch many waves. The PN is also a very good board if you want speed. You should be able to duck-dive both the SF and PN just fine. Personally, I believe in trying out different boards rather than owning the same board twice (even if in a different dimension), so it can't hurt to go for something different from what you are used to.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Sorry about the delay, I've been away for the interent for a wee while. What do you guys think about the idea of boards being designed to be surfed at certain sizes? fokaihi, you said your 6'6 SF is oversized? When I look at all the recommendations for SF, DOM and PN they are all stated as being designed to be surfed shorter than you standard surfboard, when I am looking at a 6'6 SF that seems to be outside what it is designed for. Is keeping the 6'10 ADD and adding something like a 6'2 or 6'4 HF an idea to be played with? I really like the idea of a board that won't let me down when the Swell does pick up? I've linked a couple of short GoPro clips from my last trip.
        Vimeo is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Vimeo is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Links don't work? (like most of this new forum....)

Comment

Originally posted by reserves View Post
              Links don't work? (like most of this new forum....)
              Have edited the videos hopefully they work now

Comment

I'm no expert but you look like you're doing well to me! I have the 6' 10" Addvance but don't get too surf much, jealous of those waves. Be interested to what fins you're using?

Looks like you're ready for a smaller board, the advice here seems to be for a SF or PN, as far as I can tell the SF is a more advance board than the Dom.

Let us know what you go for, be good for you to demo some if you can as the Addvance is designed to be ridden at high volume, whereas the others sizing seems to be key.
                Last edited by reserves; 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I have the PC-7's in a thruster at the moment, got the bigger fins to match the bigger board, I haven't tinkered with fins too much but I'm going to go with a quad set up for a maldives trip in oct in an effort to gain a hint more speed. Demoing is the toughest thing for me as we spend 9 months a year living in the middle east, in Doha Qatar, so no surf at all and no chance to demo. My way of thinking has shifted towards the Hellfire or potentially the V4 around 6'4, both seem to be designed as boards that can go in anything from waist high to overhead + I figure I'll keep the Addvance as a little insurance until I know I can manage on the others!

Comment

@qatarkiwi what did you decide on?

Comment

After going back and forth, I ended up getting two boards, I went with the 6'6 ADD but also the 6'2 VG. The ADD is just so user friendly, as I said I only get to surf on trips, so I often go months at a time between sessions. With the ADD I know exactly how it's going to go. The VG was more of a gamble, having not demoed it I bought it based on wave range, pretty much anything, and volume. the 6'2 comes in at 43.7L so isn't a massive drop from the ADD. I've found it paddles super well and as advertised is fast! Because i am still very much an intermediate (at best) I was initially a little self conscious of the being out there with the strange shape, but i got over that! Pretty happy with my choices, I was lucky enough to spend almost 8 weeks through Java, Bali and a few other parts of Indo this summer and spent plenty of time on both boards. I thought I might i might out grow the ADD a bit quickly but it was awesome esp when the swell picked up a couple of times. Attached are a couple of photos of both boards in use.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X