X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvance shape

I've been looking for a 7'2" addvance for quite a while and finally found a 2nd hand one, looks to be in good condition & I believe 1 - 1/12 yrs old. Does anyone know if the bottom shape of these boards has change in that time. ie is there more design/construction in the latest addvance than one over 1 yr old.

As far as I know the shape hasn't changed, I believe the only change was from 3 fin set up to 5.

They are fairly rare 2nd hand so go for it!

Comment

Reserves is correct, the shape has not changed, and yes they have added the 5 fin option.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

unclethirsty doesn't look like it. it's a hefty board though. I'm curious about the submoon that will come out soon.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks guys, missed the deal, last i heard guy got offered $150 less than a newie!! Think ill wait for the submoon.

Comment

A few Submoons have trickled their way through Southern California, but the exact date for when they are coming out has not yet been set. However, if you have an exact size in mind, we may be able to special order one.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

can a custom be done? i'd like a 6'2 if it was possible.

Comment

Soon fokaiHI, soon. They're not quite ready yet.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• fokaiHI
                  fokaiHI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  patiently waiting, but hurry up. lol

Guys, just wondering, when you say the addvance 'paddles" as good as a longboard does it get you on to a wave earlier like a longboard or,trying to think of the right way to describe this, more like a thicker shortboard which makes it easier to pick a wave up. I suppose the question is will it get me on a wave "earlier" which would give me more time to get up, or will it pick the wave 'up" quicker than a shortboard of the same lenght?. There I muddled that pretty good didn't I !.Any comments much appreciated.

Comment

• reserves
                  reserves commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey,

I have the 6' 10" Addvance. I'm a beginner, moving towards intermediate, 180lbs, 39 yrs old.

Personally I don't believe any of this 'paddles like a long board' I mean it paddles well and I have no problems catching waves on it (way easier than my 7' 6" Mini Mal), but I'd argue that it's as easy to catch waves on as a longboard, I'm sure the length of a longboard has something to do with it, saying that it's way easier to handle than a longboard.

To me it's a thicker shortboard, it's stable and picks up waves quickly, for comparison I have a 6' 8" Superfish, another 'paddles like a longboard board' The Addvance is WAY easier to catch waves on, more stable and picks up waves better.

The board isn't holding me back in terms of learning turns so I'm as happy as I can be with it.

Rich

• fokaiHI
                  fokaiHI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the ADD is just a very well rounded board. paddles easy, catches waves, surfs small to big. granted my paddling is fairly strong, but i can sit w the longboards and get my share. the board definitely is user friendly. i'm pretty sure if there was a 6'2 model, i wudnt surf anything else, except for the BP, cus that board is fun too

Its doesn't glide like a longboard will, when you paddle it... so I'd say is doesn't paddle like a Longboard... but it will catch a wave just as easily as a Longboard... I think the difference is, you have to pop sooner on the Addvance you have to have better timing....

On a Longboard you can paddle and arch your back and take your sweet time getting to your feet. And that is a problem if you want to transition to Shortboards... I'm a Longboarder and I had a hard time catching waves with my Sweet Potato I didn't have the timing down to pop at the right moment so I could setup for the bottom turn... then I bought a Addvance... used it for a few months when i went back to the sweet potato I no longer had a problem setting up for a bottom turn...

I also think the Addvance is easier to surf than a Longboard once you are on your feet... you don't have to cross-step to get the board to plane then cross-step back to do a cutback... and the turned up sharp nose makes it, really easy to make steep drops...

Comment

Thanks guys good feedback there. Yeah I'm trying to decide to eithger go with a 7'6' ADD or longboard the old body,(I'm 60 & been surfing 50 of those), is starting to get slower on the popup & i also am undecided how I want to surf now, either shortboard or longboard style. What I really should do is get one of each i suppose!!

Comment

Working...
                  X