Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvance 7'6"?

Hello,
    Please can I have some advice/help.
    I'm 55 approx 180lbs average fitness for my age! And have been surfing a longboard for ages. I would not describe my competence as intermediate by any means though watching other surfers. I would say just competent. I do often struggle catching waves even with my 9'4" 23.5" wide surftech.
    Right now my problem. I know I should stick with the longboard but would like to have a shortboard while I'm still able. Our local waves are normally rather slow and I don't go out in much above 4-5ft (british -shoulder to head high), normally about 3-4ft.. Duck diving would be nice but not the be all.
    I've been offered a good deal on a 7'6" addvance. I've set myself a bugget, so 2nd hand it must be.
    I know it is very chunky but i like the thought of the wave catching ability and user friendliness of the wider board.
    Should I go for this board, use it and possibly change if I find its to big, of wait for a smaller one.
    Advice much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Anthony
    Last edited by anthony.d; 08-02-2013, 03:07 AM.

Hey Anthony,

I can't speak for the 7-6 Addvance, but it sounds like you're not comfortable surfing your 9-4.
    I would think you'd want to be before transitioning to a smaller board.

Any ideas why you're struggling to catch waves?
    Is it the paddling into the wave part or the pop up while on the wave or both?

At your take-off spot, are there other surfers easily taking off?
    The reason I ask is that you can have a 3-4ft wave that's just to mushy to easily take-off on.
    What type of break: point, reef or beach?

Thanks

Comment

For sure the addance is a good choice transitioning from longboard to shortboard. The addvance catches waves pretty nicely but a longboard will always have the addvantage in this dept. What are you biggest issues right now with your current board?

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks for the replies. Sorry for being vague.
        I suppose I'm trying to say Ihaven't got the wave catching power of a lot of surfers and never will. Also I can't see my ability icreasing either.

What I want is to ride a smaller board and enjoy surfing a bit faster with easier, faster turns, nothing dramatic.

Would the 7'6" be too big for this.

I have no issues with my longboard, I like it. I just want a new toy and have fun with it before i'm too old.

Thanks,
        Anthony

Comment

Hi Anthony,

I saw your post on MSW.

I have the 6' 10", I weigh the same as you and a 39, I would say I'm a beginner but towards the intermediate end. I don't think i'd want anything bigger.

The 7' 6" might be too big, but what do you have to lose really? If it's a good deal them buy it and try it out, you can always sell it if you don't get on with it, Firewires hold their price well. Life's too short...

To compare I've seen Addvances go for around 300 on eBay. There's a water damaged 6' 10" on there at the moment but not sure about that.

I'm the same username over at MSW, feel free to PM me any questions, or price / condition of the 7' 6", I know the 2nd hand market fairly well.

Best of luck!

Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich,

Yes I think its too big but as you say it will hold its value. As you say life's too short. The ebay one is too expensive cinsidering the damage.

It's just that a couple of local shops have recommended shorter boards, I'm not sure if this is just sales talk. Then i've seen the Walden mega magic, very wide and thick, they say designed to be ridden shorter. The addvance seems to be along the same lines but not as extreme. A couple of years ago I remember looking at the Bruce Jones boards, he was making big wide fat fish, and thinking I wouldn't mind one of those.

Anyway further advice much appreciated, but I think I'll go for the 7'6 and see what happens. I know really I should go for the 7'2 but a new one is 300 more, the wife would kill me!

Thanks,

Anthony

Comment

I would never talk someone out of getting the 706 as their 1st step down from a longboard. You will not regret you purchase and I dont kno who you are buying it from, but he/she may wish that they hadn't sold it! The board will blow your mind the 1st time you pop up on it. I know it! Good Luck

Comment

• SFRJUDD
                SFRJUDD commented
                Editing a comment
                Is it safe to assume you have a 7'06"

Thanks for the encouragement KidK. The decision has been made. I'll let you all know how I get on. From what I've read there have been others in the same boat as me.

Comment

Hi Anthony,

Any news about surfing the 7'6 ?

Thanks

Comment

I saw that Anthony had posted on MSW asking to trade the 7' 6" in for a 7' 2" as he felt the 7' 6" was too big for him.

Comment

do it... a 7'6 ADD is comparable to any longboard for sure.

Comment

Hello Folks,
                      Sorry about no posts regarding board, its a long story.
                      Anyway, I got the 7'6 and love it. Easy to catch waves, faster and easier to turn than my longboard. Basically more fun and very user friendly!. I have't used the longboard since.
                      There are a couple of problems though. First as I new would happen, theirs no way I can push it under to duckdive, and second I can only just get my arm around it to carry. I'm 5'9" and again new this would probably be a problem. Hence my decision to try to swap for a 7'2. As I said I do love the board, if no-one wants to swap I've got no problem hanging on to it until a 7'2 appears.
                      I'm even planning eventually to try out a sweet potato(a big one), now that is ambitious! It could all end in tears, its the fault of the addvance getting my confidence up. Any opinions?

Comment

Hey Anthony,

I doubt very much you would be able to duck dive the 7' 2", I have the 6' 10" and it's still massive, I think you could easily look at the 6' 10", I could ride the 6' 6" easy at the same weight as you and I'm not much more than a beginner.

I'll be honest and say it sounds like you're nervous about under sizing, I've seen your posts looking for a > 6ft Sweet Potato, from all the advice here that would be WAY too big!

I'd see if you can try our a Sweet Potato on demo before you buy one.

Rich

Comment

Hi Rich,
                          You're spot on saying nervous about undersizing. In my defence I have had a longboard for 20+ years, my age and only intermediate-ish (barely) ability is making me err on the side of caution. I did think I was being over-ambitious thinking about a potato. The fact is i've been having such fun on the new board that I'm surfing now at every opportunity. I was thinking of a 6'2 SP or a 6'3 BP any coments folks?
                          Anthony

Comment

Working...
                          X