X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvance or Sweet potato?

What's going to catch small wave easier and plane better over dead sections...a 6'10" Addvance or a 6' Sweet potato?
    Fair comparison because even though there's a litreage difference there is a also a difference in length, rocker and outlines which factor in.
    The Addvance was hailed as a longboard alternative by using foam rather than outright length to even the playing field.
    Now we have the newer kid on the block with the Sweet potato which again uses uber foam but with more parrallel rails and lower rocker to achieve easy planing speed.
    Some discussion on the differences/merits of both may be useful since there will be those trying to decide inbetween the two styles of getting ones fair share in smaller and/or crowded conditions.
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM.

I would say that the 6'6" Addvance will be easier to move than the 6'0"potato. As you well mentioned, the board was designed to pack the max amount of volume on the shortes length possible..You got to go short but need to be carefull, cause going too small will defeat the original purpose of the board.
    They are two completely different ride styles, with the potato (at the right lenght) being more maneuverable than the Addvance. Not to take away the maneuverability of the Addvance which is quite impressive.
    For a beginner I would definitely go for the Addvance as well as for somebody coming out of longboards. I would put the potato for people with a little more "water time" on them who wants to increase their days out despite the conditions keeping it fun no matter waht size it is
    Last edited by iggy; 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I have both boards.

I find the ADDvance catches waves easier and has a far more forgiving rocker than the SP. In fact there is no comparison they are so different. I use mine in waist high to my max of 1 1/2 overhead and will handle the sucky stuff with ease.

The SP to me is a mucher more difficult board to surf, it can catch you on a take off and accelerate out from under your feet. However, in a smaller, full wave it is a much more exciting board to surf with way more speed.

I'm still trying to find the board that can fit in the middle for me, probably a Dom or EF.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by STC67 View Post
        I have both boards.

I find the ADDvance catches waves easier and has a far more forgiving rocker than the SP. In fact there is no comparison they are so different. I use mine in waist high to my max of 1 1/2 overhead and will handle the sucky stuff with ease.

The SP to me is a mucher more difficult board to surf, it can catch you on a take off and accelerate out from under your feet. However, in a smaller, full wave it is a much more exciting board to surf with way more speed.

I'm still trying to find the board that can fit in the middle for me, probably a Dom or EF.

Cheers
        You're on the right track over there!!

Comment

Hope you were talking about the 6'10" STC67 when saying you have the Addvance.
          Iggy...you've got the 6'6" in your reply mate.
          I've had a 6'6" Addvance and it was almost a 1 board quiver. The only place it didn't excel was on high tide banks which would break and then fill up before going into a shorebreak.
          Always though maybe the little bit of extra length and a fairly substantial chunk of extra foam carried in the 6'10" would get the job done there.
          Then the sweet potato has come on the scene.
          I've got the suckier waves covered by my P'nator and still want a mega section connector just because I can spy a little gap in my quiver.

Comment

Sorry Cuttle!!! my bad

Comment

Hi Cuttle, I have the 702 ADDvance as it was my first board coming back off longboards. I should be on a 610 I know and I have thought about getting one but won't ever sell the 702 it has been such fun. I have even considered a 606 ADDvance but at 95 kgs might be a bit to much to ask of it.

The SP for me is a board I take on very surf check but only use it 1 out of 10 times. I have trouble with taking drops on waves and often after kooking a few, run back to the car and change over to the ADDvance. I think I have gone to big on the SP at 602 and that is causing a problem. On the occasional time it is 1 to 2 ft it excels. I'm looling forward to this winter:)

The Activator has got me a bit excited as I like the narrower tail. !!

Comment

Thanks STC67,
                The plot thickens...
                I'm assuming you're able to get into the waves earlier on the 7'2" as its planing earlier than the 6'2" and its got a more forgiving rocker for your takeoffs.
                So does the 7'2" really catch waves as easily as a conventional 9'er?
                I've ridden a 7'6" Addvance at pumping 4-5' Boiling pot Noosa and found it's shear volume a handful whereas my old 6'6" would have been in its element.
                I did demo a 5'10" sweet potato and while it was fun I know I would be happier on the 6'er as it would be easier to catch small waves and that's the whole idea in a groveller...catch waves that are small, gutless and even worse, crowded to boot with others with more paddle power (ie longboards).
                So which board would run across a full spot inbetween out the back and the shorey?
                The 7'2" Addvance or the 6'2" sweet potato?
                Thanks.
                Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-11-2012, 04:07 AM.

Comment

My take is both will do it in a different manner. The addvance you are going to cruise using momentum, the potato you are going to be able to hop and pump more easily. In the end, I think it depends on your own ability and style. I personally can connect the outside and shore break a bi more easily on shorter flatter boards, but that is me.

Comment

Thats a good way to put it Chris. If I was trying to make fat sections or connect to an inside bank, I would much rather be on the SP.

Comment

yeah I will emphasize though that its a function of ability and preference as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X