Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvance for newish female surfer

Looking for some board advice -

I have been surfing for 1.5 years and own a 9'0 longboard. I surf mainly in one week blocks (about once a month) and am able to catch most any wave on my longboard and have been working on turning. I recently rode a 8'0 board in San Diego and had no problems catching waves and really liked the feel of a shorter board. I am 5'6, 135lb and am really active.

After reading about various firewire boards I think the Aadvance sounds about right for me (not ready for a true short board yet but want to start heading in that direction). The other board I looked at was the sub moon. My main question has to do with sizing - I've been thinking the 7'6 would be right for me although most comments on here seem to always suggest going shorter - so maybe a 7'2? I don't mind having to overcome a learning curve but do want to be able to enjoy my surf trips. Some other factors I am thinking about - I have to always fly to get to waves so my board will gets lots of airline abuse. I also feel like my pop-up is slow - I think this may be a laziness thing on my part (not a strength issue) - I feel like I have all the time in the world on my longboard to catch my wave (could be a timing thing too)…not sure how a shorter board will affect that.

Any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

hi dmw27, I'm no expert on addvance's, but based on your small size I would suggest you go for the smallest option of addvance at 6'6". I'm contemplating an addvance myself at 6'3" and 220lb and would go for either a 610 or a 608 (new size). With you at almost half my weight a 702 would just be massive and difficult to maneuver around the wave or even paddling in a congested line up.

if you have a demo center near by you should try one out.

Comment

Defo the 6' 6" the Addvance is HUGE!

My girlfriend is about your height / weight. She rides my 6' 10" with no problems but could go smaller, maybe 6' 8" if you're really worried.

I've tried a friends 7' 2" Addvance, and honestly it's like a SUP :)

Comment

Thanks for the replies….I sort of expected to hear "go smaller". I think it is more mental thing for me at this point - I don't want to get a board that I can't catch a wave with or ride. Thinking now the 6'8 is the best option for me.

Again thanks for all your help.

Comment

I would recommend the 6'6". At 53 years, 6'2", 180 lb, and a very average surfer, I find the 6'6" to be very buoyant. It is a board with a lot of floatation and even though it might sound a bit daunting to drop to that length,you will adapt very quickly. It is a very stable board. I would love to see this shape at around 6'2" and 39 litres. If you can test ride one that would be the go.

Comment

Thanks for the advice….now looking at the 6'6"!

Comment

another vote for the 6'6. I have one and i've loaned it to ladies who really like it...actually everyone likes it but i'd say bigger surfers appreciate the buoyancy most

Comment

a lot is in the mind and also ignoring the "kooking out" of the first few surfs on something that much different..going shorter can actually make things easier for you.. ride it and no other board for a little while and your muscle memory will forget your old board. being shorter you can take off later and steeper more easily not scared of catching the nose or rails, and once on your feet you will control and turn it so much easier.(less falling off) . they resell easily so if you get the bigger one you can always sell it and downsize. once you feel the freedom a shorter curvier board you wont want a long straight longboard again. the addvance is the perfect crossover board. still paddles well and is stable to get up on but can turn with so much less strength required than a mal.

Comment

I'm 6'6" 215lbs and I got the 7'6" as a step down board from a 10'2". It was perfect for me, you will be fine on the smallest addvance you can get. :)

Comment

Just an update - I went ahead and got the 6'6" Addvance - very excited to get in the water! Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Think that was a good choice. The board has a lot of volume, I use it as my ''longboard'. Let us know how it goes and have fun

Comment

Congrats! Let us know how you get on :)

Comment

enjoy it..and remember if you kook out on it that its only temporary.. DONT go back on your old board... you will click with it and then will be doing turns all over the place.!!

Comment

The new board arrives today!!! I'm planning on heading over to South Carolina/North Carolina next week to get it in the water!

I do have one more question for you all - what would you advise my initial fin setup to be? I bought a board with Futures system (this is what I have on my long board so I stayed with what was familiar to me). My long board has Proteck fins in it and I have been happy with those thus far.

At my level, I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in the different set-ups so basically just looking for the most stable/common setup to start.

Thanks!

Comment

I've been using the futures AM1 in honeycomb tech as a thruster. I played around with a quad setup but prefer the thruster

Comment

Working...
                              X