Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board advice

Hi guys
    Just after some board advice from the experts. I am 55 years old, 5 ft 10 and 75 kilos. I am pretty fit. I live on the south coast of New South Wales and surf most days. I mostly ride HP longboards, logs and a Surftech 6 ft 10 Soulfish, which is coming to the end of its life. I was thinking about getting a 6 ft 10 Addvance. Any thoughts on this? I could go a smaller board, but I am not getting any younger.
    Thanks for your ideas,

Terry

For the description you are giving you could perfectly be ion the 6'6" Addvance. It alll depends on what you want to get out of the board.
    But seems like you will profit of the extra length when it comes to paddle so probably the 6'10" is the right call in your case

Comment

Hey Terry, get on up the road to Natural Necessities Surf shop - they have a lot of Firewire demo boards to ride then you'll know for sure

Comment

Thanks Goanna

Comment

Yep, 6'6" or 6'10" Addvance sounds perfect, probably the former, and demoing is the best bet.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will get along to the local and have a look. Yeah it is either the Addvance or perhaps some thing like a Surftech nugget.

Comment

Definitely 6'6.

Comment

I can't rate this board highly enough for the Fellas like me who don't want to flounder on a HP shortboard. I have already plugged the Addvances ability to handle the steeper sucker stuff but yesterday I was surfing waist high weak waves and the ADDvance was the only option as I didn't bring the Sweet Potato. I was surprised at the speed I could generate and fun I had. Take a step forward and the board accelerates but does not become stiff as a plank.

Well done guys on this design. This board could easy be a one board quiver.

Comment

Those new Activators look pretty sexy too.

Comment

Terry,
                    Get the Addvance, you wont regret it. I got the 702 and loved it, a really versatile board, from knee high to well overhead.
                    I enjoyed it so much that I moved down to the 610 and it's my go to board.
                    I've also ridden the 606 and it floated me fine, but I like the wave catching advantage the 610 gives me.
                    I can still compete with the young groms and hotties!
                    Definitely a far superior board to the surftech mccoy.
                    Oh yes for your info I'm 60 yrs young and 98kg

Comment

Sexy indeed!!! the tail pretty intriguing

Comment

yeah terry i cam to the same conclusion in one of your other threads, that the Addvance may be a good route to go.

Comment

Thanks again Chris. A 6'10" Addvance will do the job well I reckon. Thanks also to all involved for this amazing forum. It is a wonderful entertaining resource that I enjoy so much.

Terry
                          Last edited by terry; 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks samtheman. Wise advise indeed. The Addvance 6'10 sounds like the board for me. You are only as old as you feel. We still got years ahead of us with boards like this.
                            Last edited by terry; 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

This may be completely dumb and not really something anyone here can answer, but I wonder how much difference there is between a 606 Addvance and my 610 Surftech Soulfish. Both are wide in the chest area, have a pulled in nose and narrowish tail. If anyone can shed some light, then thanks.
                              http://surf.surftech.com/featured-bo...ite-soul-fish/
                              Last edited by terry; 04-13-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X