X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aadvances easy to turn?

Guys I'm 60yo,100kg & about 182cm, been surfing for 50 yrs & I still go ok, on a good day.I mainly surf Sydney, OZ & east coast also get overseas occasionally. I'm looking at getting an AAdvance 7'2" to test but I don't like my chances. I was wondering how some of the older heavier guys found them to ride, do they ride like a short board or like a long board, are they stable on takeoff, do they turn easily. thanks.

hey Uncle, see the other thread you posted. I responded there.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Uncle T. I am 95kgs and starting riding an ADDvance coming down from longboards. Been surfing for 30 years so no quite as long as you:). The ADDvance will catch waves just about as easily as my 9'2 HP longboard, it has a wide nose and forgiving rocker so makes takeoff incredibly easy. It wont have as much glide as the longboard but has way better performance. Since I got the ADDvance, I haven't been back on the longboard.

On a wave it can turn much better and I can complete a roundhouse and have even hit the odd lip. The bevels under the rail are forgiving and i have never caught a rail. Much more fun than the longboard as I am not really into the whole style thing of longboards of walking the board and nose riding.

It has never let me down on a take off, even in some sucky beach breaks. It still won't surf as good as a short board but a lot of fun with high wave count and very forgiving. Once you get much above head high you will start to notice the volume and will want to go to a more performance orientated board, particularly if you reasonable competent.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, Stc67. Sorry about the double post. What is the idea behind the ridge running down the rails, I was looking at a dark deck bamboo aadvance on the weekend & noticed the ridge & I cannot rememember if i'd noticed it on other ones that I've seen I've never seen this on a board before. Thanks

Comment

lowers the rails volume and increases the sensitivity whilst still keeping a lot of foam in the centre of the board.

Here's Chris' explanation from the old forum.

"So a couple things are going on. Lets talk fist about the rail thickness. maneuverability comes, in part, from having the ability to tilt your board from side to side, a process that i will call submerging the rails. Think of watching a guy like Taj or Kelly or Joel tudor wrap a full arching turn. The addvance has a relatively thick rails. Such rails are sometimes difficult to submerge when moving quickly. The step rails alleviate some of the force required to tilt the deck of the board by reducing rail volume and by slightly reducing the planing area between the two rails. Because the addvance is a higher volume board, this subtle tweak, along with the board template, gives the surfer high performance command of a the high volume board.

so why not just use a standard step rail? In my opinion, a standard step rail on this stye of a board makes it better for SMALLER surf. it maximizes planing area and resists rail-to-rail transitions a bit more. the addvance can handle small waves because of its volume, but it has these rails, added entry rocker and a pulled in tail to enable the surfer to to push the limits.

Hope this helps."

Comment

The chine works beautifully on the addvance with no transitional feel in turns.
            I also ride Dick Van Straalen eps boards with chine rails and they work just as well.
            Chines have been around for a long time but using them on thicker eps boards really shows their worth.
            Last edited by cuttlefish; 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STC67 View Post
              Hi Uncle T. I am 95kgs and starting riding an ADDvance coming down from longboards. Been surfing for 30 years so no quite as long as you:). The ADDvance will catch waves just about as easily as my 9'2 HP longboard, it has a wide nose and forgiving rocker so makes takeoff incredibly easy. It wont have as much glide as the longboard but has way better performance. Since I got the ADDvance, I haven't been back on the longboard.

On a wave it can turn much better and I can complete a roundhouse and have even hit the odd lip. The bevels under the rail are forgiving and i have never caught a rail. Much more fun than the longboard as I am not really into the whole style thing of longboards of walking the board and nose riding.

It has never let me down on a take off, even in some sucky beach breaks. It still won't surf as good as a short board but a lot of fun with high wave count and very forgiving. Once you get much above head high you will start to notice the volume and will want to go to a more performance orientated board, particularly if you reasonable competent.

Hope this helps.
              What? Don't tel me the Addvance ha been retired???

Comment

Yes Terry, I had a guy come to buy another surfboard and he was a complete beginner. The other board was not suited to him and I wouldn't sell it to him. What else could I do, he seemed to be a good bloke so I sold him the Advance 702. It was perfect for him and he was stoked. That's what it is all about isn't it? I was wanting a 610 anyway.

In the meantime I have got an El Fuego to see how it goes. I am working towards a 2 board quiver for a trip OS later this year so want to experiement with a few boards. So far the El Fuego is looking not bad and maybe a Hellfire or Activator to back it up. I can always go a 610 Addvance and I know it would go great.

Comment

I am keen to follow up on your findings. The El Fuego looks like a great board, and heaps of fun, but I know when I first got my Soulfish after only surfing long boards, I found it a bit frustrating not being able to compete for waves as much as on a bigger board. This is one of the reasons why I was thinking about the 6 10 addvance, but that El Fuego looks it will be worth the effort. You can always get the 6 10 for conditions that suit it.

Comment

Working...
                  X