X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume - does it create problems?

There are some great people on this forum - I wouldnít mind any thoughts people are prepared to give to the following queries about board volume and hopefully they arenít too confusing or too simplistic.

Obviously a higher volume board (such as the Addvance) makes paddling easier and catching waves easier. But what is the downside to having more volume, in particular having the volume in a 'shorter' board such as the Addvance (by way of comparison, my 9'2" long board has approximately the same volume as a 706 Addvance)

For example:

- will having that much volume in a shorter board create problems? For example, will it cause me to 'plane' over the wave, because the buoyancy prevents the rails from holding onto the wave (whereas, with a long board, because the volume is more spread out, it isnít so 'corky')?

- Will the volume combined cause the board to 'overpower' me in larger waves so I won't be able to properly control it? (What would constitute a 'larger wave' here anyway)?

- Do I need to be heavier for the Addvance to get the benefits or control the downsides (heavier than I need to be for a long board, because the buoyancy for a long board is spread out)?

- do you surf the Addvance in a 'different' way to other 706 boards without the volume?

Having now progressed from learner stage to about kindergarten stage, I am thinking of moving down in board size. For various reasons (such as poor paddling ability, the fact that I mostly surf in smallish and not very powerful beach breaks and don't get to surf with any regularity), the larger volume mid sized boards (such as the Addvance) look good. But I'm wondering whether that much volume creates its own issues (so, perhaps, a smaller volume but equal length board might be more appropriate). I'm past the 'catch and stand' stage, but not up to the 'can surf on anything stage' - my aim is to catch lots of waves (more than I can catch with the long board, because the waves I surf are a bit steep for a long board), have fun and hopefully now learn to turn.

I should add that stepping down from a 9'2" board at my skill level I am hesitant to go smaller than a 7'6" board. I think a 1'7" drop is probably about my limit. I am 6'3" and 185 lbs (190cm/83kg) and taking into account my height a 706 isn't that long, although for my weight perhaps a 702 is more appropriate (but a 2ft drop seems a bit excessive - I dont surf enough to want to spend 6 months learning how to surf a new board). I should add that I am not particularly concerned about outgrowing a 706 - if in a few years time I have advanced enough to want to try an even shorter board, then I am happy to buy one then.

Thanks for any thoughts and for reading.

yeah generally speaking, the bigger you go, "precise volume management" becomes less critical. If yo have a board, say 7' plus, at over 50L, then 2-4 liters isn't NEARLY as important as that much volume might be in a 600 shortboard with 28L. ITs a percentage consideration.

In my opinion, everyone has an ideal volume range based on a lot of factors, age, experience, fitness, are just 3 major factors. So based on things like that its important to try to gauge where you fall. Then, at that point, you want to kind of keep the volume lower on your good wave, performance boards, and higher on your smaller wave boards. So thinking of it that way, volume works against you more noticeably when you are in the performance board range.

Making that first step to a shorter board, its important to consider how big of a step you want to make. There are all kinds of ways to transition down, but a smart way is to consider a user-friendly, midsize board, such as an Addvance or a larger dominator...

cheers and hope this helps you get started...

Comment

100% agree with all Chris said.

To some degree increased volume reduces control, but extra volume will often create. More forgiving board. A pro will mostly ride a more refined board and average surfers need extra chunk. IMHO.

Comment

Hi dtc, I'm pretty sure I know where your coming from and I have had a lot of experience surfing the Addvance in a wide range of conditions. So here is my take on your queries.

The difference in volume between an Addvance and a longboard is distribution. A longer board can still maintain a thin high performance tail which on waves of higher quality, I believe can provide a more "connected" to the wave feel. In saying that the performance of a board is limited by the ability of the rider. I came down from a longboard to a 702 ADDvance at 95kgs. I found I caught as many waves as my longboard, managed steeper and later drops better and had far more turning ability and what I would consider fun. The only negative difference was that the ADDvance has a thicker tail to help manage all the volume and on waves of "consequence" (over head high and steep) I felt there was too much volume in the tail and I lost a bit feel for the waves at high speeds.

You will notice the drop in length but it is compensated by the width of the ADDvance and you will only find it enjoyable and not challenging at all. For your level of surfing I think you are over complicating volume and you should just go shorter as long as you have enough volume, it will give you a whole new level of stoke. Until you are ready to surf larger (over head and half) steeper waves, I really don't think extra volume will hold you back or you will even notice it.

I think an ADDvance would be a perfect board for you at your stage, although I would recommend a 702 not 706. You will overcome the length difference in the first half hour of you first surf.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys, very useful and sensible advice. I have to admit I didnt think about the fact that the percentage difference between a 706 and 702 is really fairly marginal; and I think STC67 cut to the heart of the matter, having waded through my waffle. And, yes, I was over complicating things; at my level the volume difference is not even something I would have noticed had I not read about it.

I usually surf beach breaks, which are fairly steep and sort of large (chest/head high is common, although there are plenty of smaller days), but not very strong or thick - smallish swells hit the sandbanks and rise up steeply and are fairly pitchy (if that is the right term). I would love to have a nice crumbling point break... Anyway, the longboard works on this most of the time, but at other times I am just getting pitched forward (have done a few complete somersaults). As I understand it a shorter board should help on these waves, which STC67 has also pointed out. I dont live on the coast so my surfing is periodic - I get 10 surfs over 2 weeks then nothing for 3 months. I currently get more happiness catching waves than frustration at the long board issues, but in the past few months have noticed the frustrations which I never used to. I guess thats progress! Anyway, this is why a larger volume board tempts me over just a shorter board.

I actually noticed that my current board has almost the same dimensions to the Firewire TJ Pro (my board is 1 inch longer but other dimensions are identical) - I know that comparing volume just based on dimensions is a bit dangerous because the shape, thickness etc will be different; but using it as a rough guide my board is probably somewhere between 60 - 65L volume; which is actually less than the Addvance 706 and more or less the same as the 702.

I havent actually seen the Addvance in the flesh since no one in my town nor in the town where I surf stocks it. I keep pulling out 702 and 706 boards of other brands and thinking 'which length looks rideable for me' and 'which length do I think I would be confident in using'. The things we do over 4 inches! Back in the pre internet days you just wandered into the nearest store and bought the one that looked about right and got on with it! Which STC67 is pretty much telling me to do, in a nice way, and I agree.

So thanks again guys. I will be keeping an eye on the sales and if nothing comes up, then when winter is over (I am in Australia) I will pick up an Addvance of some kind and perhaps overcome my fear of a 10kg long board crashing down on my head.

Comment

Hi,

Absolutly agree with STC67.
            I came from a 901 tuflite longboard and after I have tested a 706 ADDvance i bought the 610 and i feel perfect so i would recomended max 702.

Cheers

Comment

great stuff everyone!!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X