X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addvance; the right fit?

Talofa guys! I've been in a fix lately because I'm in need of a new board, I've been riding my rusty mini mal it's a 8 footer, but I've been getting bored with the casual cruise. I've been lookin for something a lot smaller and a loser feel, a few causual cutbacks, something I can get funky on, but still has that nice longboard paddle, and glide. I'm 18yrs old 5'8 155 lbs. Is the Addvance board a good fit for me and if so what dimensions.

The 6'6" addvance would be an easy pick for an easy paddle and more performance but I'd also consider something like a 5'10" Dominator. At your size it will still be an easy paddler but I think it will give you a bigger performance window whilst still retaining the ease of use.

Comment

Thanks @prjwebb I also have been researching on the dominator and the EF , I still want the longboard feel would the dominator give me that? Also I surf in Pacifica California where it's small and choppy, and mostly unpredictable does the dominator give me a wider range than the Addvance

Comment

I would have guessed the Addvance would have a broader performance window than a Dom, and be an easier transition from a mid length. The Addvance is positioned though as an older guys board. Where would you like to see your surfing going? Do you want to be a shortboarder? To be honest, 18 seems quite young to be looking for longboard glide. Maybe get a log for small days and a dedicated shortboard/hybrid like the Dom. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Comment

I don't know if ur familiar with Alex knost but that's the type of style I'm into and it's the way I surf, no airs just cruise cutbacks and style. I rode a 5'8 retro fish and hated it maybe becuz it was a bit worn down and a lot of pressure dents, I also have the rusty dozer in my quiver but I just don't enjoy that short board feel as much as I would with my mini mal. In essence I don't look to be a short boarder but I just want a smaller longboard with more manueverabi

Comment

Lity thanks @buzzy sorry don't mean to sound picky at all

Comment

Yeah, the Dominator does like a wave with some shape. If the waves never really get very good then the Addvance is a better bet, but if you want a board that will excel when conditions are waist to head high with some good shape then the Dom is a great pick. I'd keep the mal for the poor days though where it'll probably be a little easier than the Dom, at least until you master generating speed and linking sections in junky conditions.

Comment

Just read your last post. Maybe not the Dominator then, although its a great cruisey, carving board because of its nice curved outline.
                The El Fuego could be an option for that more fishy feel, of the FW Quadfishes are great little boards. Or you could even think about the Taylor Jensen Everyday model if you want a lighter longboard that's going to perform well.

Or the Addvance is always going to be a fun board but not 100% it's going to be quite what you're after.

Have you looked at the Sweet Potato also? Very lively, fast and carves well but much smaller than a mal.

Comment

great stuff Prj. All hail.

Comment

Ha just listing everything that isn't in the HP category!

Comment

Much alofas for the input prj! I'm starting to narrow things down but still have a couple more questions, now that you've opened my eyes to the sweet potato, how does the float feel, and the paddle power? I also like that it has 3" thickness on the 6", if am purchasing the sweet potato should I be getting a 600?

Comment

I reckon based on what you're saying that the El Fuego would be perfect. Match that up with a longboard/log and you're done. A Sweet Potato would also work, but it'd work in pretty much the same waves as you'd use a longboard in. So I reckon an EF would be a better pick.

Comment

Working...
                        X