Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'6 Addvance v 6'10 addvance

Hi all,

I am 40 and been surfing for 25 years, 6 foot and weigh 98kgs. I have moved to Norway and only get back to Oz once a year with the kids for a month. I surf as much as I can during this time.
    Last time I was back I borrowed a mates 6'6 Addvance and I laughed. It felt like a boat, but I was very surprised how manuverable it was. I was doing cutbacks like I would on my 6'8 thin board.

After I surfed this, I struggled on the short board again. I also have a 6'8 swallow fish which is a great board but I would also like to have an addvance.

As I only get in the water once a year for a month I was wondering if I should order the 6'6 or go for the 6'10. Is the 6'10 as manuverable as the 6'6? Easy to do a cutback on the 6'10?
    Is it a lot easier to catch waves with the 6'10? The 6'6 was difficult to duck dive, although I did manage. Dont think I would have any luck duck diving the 6'10.

Appreciate the feedback (will be ordering one asap before I get back to Oz again).

Cheers.

Ive only ever surfed the 702 so can't comment on what difference the smaller Addvances are, although they seem to drop alot in volume between sizes. I was able to duck dive my 702 Addvance with a bit bit of timing, obviously not as well as I can my 6'10 Hellfire.

Comment

If I was only surfing a month a year @ 97kg I'd get the 6'10" for sure. It'd still be manoevreable, but would make everything a touch easier. Duck diving will take work, sure. But getting into waves will be much easier and it'll be plenty manoevreable at your weight.

Comment

What about the Dominator??? have consider going that way?

Comment

If you do a custom dom, wider all down the line but same thickness, you pretty much end up with a 610 Addvance but with a different tail... well, at least in size and looks. No idea if this is a reasonable idea, was just playing around.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Addvance has more rocker than the Dom, which makes it a more versatile board.

Comment

The ADDvance has a big nose kick which makes it easy to take a later drop. It also has a narrower tail than the Dom which makes it reasonably loose as well. I haven't ridden Dom so can't compare. The Addvance is a great board for what you need. Of all the Firewires I have surfed it has the most fun factor.

Comment

Thanks guys. I havent looked at the Dominator because the Addvance was so much fun to surf. I used it on my first day back in the water after 2 years and got up straight away and surfed it like I hadnt left the water. So I guess maybe I answered the question myself right there. Maybe the 6'6 will do the job, although as I am getting older the fitness is taking a hammering! I guess the main point is - if it is a lot easier to catch waves with it, then it could be a good option...

Comment

Working...
                X