X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different dimensions

I'm assuming they are just older boards but it's worth checking. I'm seeing a fair number of FST Alternators on EBay in Oz with all the current stock dimensions except the thickness is 1/8th thinner. So I'm seeing a 6'8" x 20.25" x 2 5/8" rather than 2 3/4" thick, and 6'6" x 19.75" x 2.5" instead if 2 5/8". Is this a case if the current stock boards being 1/8" thicker, or are the dimensions unchanged and simply the way they're reported is changed?

Older models, those with black pin lines mainly (but not always) were 1/8 thinner.

Comment

I also found a FST Alternator for sale with different dimensions that I am wondering someone could tell me more about. It is 6' x 18'1/4" x 2'1/4" with a swallowtail and is shaded yellow on the outer edges of the bottom of the board. Can anyone tell me more about this board? It is at a reasonable price and I am considering picking it up.

I am 5'9", 150 lbs, beginner/intermediate, and I surf mainly Southern California beach breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hucko View Post
        I also found a FST Alternator for sale with different dimensions that I am wondering someone could tell me more about. It is 6' x 18'1/4" x 2'1/4" with a swallowtail and is shaded yellow on the outer edges of the bottom of the board. Can anyone tell me more about this board? It is at a reasonable price and I am considering picking it up.

I am 5'9", 150 lbs, beginner/intermediate, and I surf mainly Southern California beach breaks.
        That yellow shading on the outer edges is the balsa parabolic stringer...did you notice there is no centre stringer? It's a different method of construction giving the board more flex going into a turn and more spring coming out of the turn. Check the product site out for info on that. Never seen them in a swallow tail, but I've only been riding FW for less than 12 months, it's probably an older model, hence why it is at a good price - they want to move it. Others might be able to tell you more on how it goes. I have a rounded square. Where the site says Alt is the work horse I'd say it gives a workman like performance, to me nothing special but nothing wrong either. Though that is only on the basis of once surf. For your current level it is probably an OK board and will go OK in SoCal waves.

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
        Older models, those with black pin lines mainly (but not always) were 1/8 thinner.
        Just picked one up on Gumtree a tad beaten up but for $150 lets me see whether I like them or not. After the one surf with H3 fins I didn't really like it much it seemed a little stiff and really slowed down quickly on fuller sections of waves. Seems to go pretty well in the pocket of sucky waves though and takes off nicely. Doesn't seem to paddle as well as the HF but probably just wasn't right on the sweet spot for paddling.

Comment

yeah older models...that is the way it rolls...

Comment

Working...
          X