X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator v Hellfire for Indo

Hi I'm considering a new board for an upcoming trip to Indo. Over the past 12 mths I have come back from Shoulder operations from SUP to longboards now I'm on a 702 Addvance. At 45yrs 5'10 my paddle power is not what it once was but at 95kgs I'm not having any problems catching waves. I was happy to take the ADDvance but after some nice waves I'm thinking something with a thinner tail and nose and considering either a 702 Alternator or 702 Hellfire.

I would be interested in feedback on how these will be different to the ADDvance and how they would go at Indo. I won't be surfing anything too hairy.

Thanks

Hey STC67,
    They are both good options that I think will excel in smaller to mid-sized Indo surf. I think the final choice has to be a personal one and should be rooted in whether you want to be on a hybrid or a traditional shortboard.

My Suggestion for you based all you told us in your post, would be to go for the hellfire because it still has a bit of hybrid in it. By this I mean it is going to be easier to paddle, easier to catch waves, but it still has enough "performance" woven into its DNA to be ridden aggressively. the Alternator is a traditional shortboard, with a little more rocker and a narrower nose and is by far a greater departure from what you are used to.

Again the final call is in your hands, but i think the next logical step for someone in your position is to go after a high performance hybrid, which is exactly what the Hellfire is.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Chris, yes I was a bit worried the Alt was too big a step down from the ADDvance. The ADDvance has been great, after many years on 8ft plus boards, it has allowed me to rediscover short board surfing, and has been the most fun I have had for a long time. It takes a drop OK but it has been on some sucky head high waves that I have felt maybe it had a bit too much volume. Maybe I'm just being greedy! The 700 HF is a 15% drop in volume which is about all I would want to do in one hit. I see your point on the narrow nose of the Alt as the Board Compare feature on the website is good.

It won't be a one board quiver,

602 Sweet Potato for mush up to waist high, this has replaced my Log. I could probably go shorter on this board but it was my first FireWire.

702 Addvance for waist to head high. I have had some feedback from others that it is a bit corky but I love it and is a keeper for me.

???? Probably 700 Hellfire for sucky chest to just overhead.
      Last edited by STC67; 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I reckon the 6'10" would be ample at your weight coming off a shoulder injury. I went a 6'8" Alternator when returning to the surf after injury and illness at 98kg. It was a tad small. 6'10" would have been perfect. 6'8" or 6'10" in the Hellfire would also work.

One obvious caveat is there will be a big volume drop from your current board but you'd adjust after a few surfs.

Comment

Yeha STC i think you are on the right path. 608 - 700 Hellfire seems to be a good call given your situation....i would encourage you to go smaller but you have to make the call on what is the smallest you want to go.

Kind of have to trust your gut a little bit...

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks. I'll report back with a result. Cheers.

Comment

I am in a similar position..age slightly older..weight only slightly less...riding a 6'4" dom...and looking to supplement the quiver...the trip I am going on is Panaitan and heard the waves do get hairy there depending on conditions...would a 6'8" or even 6'10" in either alternator or Hellfire be a good choice to supplement the Dom..This board I want for the larger, faster waves..the stats for the time we are going indicate swell could be up in 2-3 m range so want something as fast as possible to make the sections. BTW..loving the Dominator.

Comment

hey beat,
                stoked for you and your trip. are you thinking you would prefer a hybrid type board or would you rather the performance and riding style of a shortboard?

Cheers!

Comment

I think if your going to surf the juice in Panaitan ie One Palm, Napalms or Apocalypse you need a board that will ride the barrel Spmeting with extra length and super strong

Comment

Hi Chris
                    As the last poster said something fast and lots of drive...to be honest I basically missed the "fun oard" scene a few years back so my only experience is short boards. Mals and hybrids...went for 6'8" Alt based on some research and must admit price ($326 for a virtually new board)

Comment

there you go!! happy camper.

Cheers!

Comment

stc...check my signature specs and fw quiver...since we're drinking mostly the same kool-aid apparently. i've always had best luck w/my fw products by paying close attention to their volumes. i agree w/the recommendations of not getting too aggressive in drastic volume drops w/o swimming those seas personally i.e. a demo ctr [which prob won't have larger sizes ur looking at testing anyhow]. my general rule has been not to go much outside a 15% max volume drop w/my fw's. that being said...the range off 44 L of my 6.10 ALT to my 6.0 POTATO @ 51 L. assuming all conditions are equal here. we could generate all sorts of tangents on wave sizes, power, rider abilities, etc. long story short i think ur tracking appropriately:

ur 7.2 AARDVARK = 62 L
                        ur 6.2 POTATO (-5 L) = 57 L [8% vol reduction from ur 7.2]
                        projected new 7.0 hellfire (-5 L) = 52 L [9% vol reduction from ur potato]...
                        and ur total vol reduction from fat to skinny = 62 L - 52 L = drop in 10 L or 16% total vol drop.

again it's all in what ur used to...and more importantly what u wanna deal with trade-off wise. could u ride leaner product? sure! would ur shoulders appreciate it right now...? prob not :) hope this little blurb helped!

Comment

three board quiver???

Hi Chris,

I want to build a three board quiver!
                          I currently have a SF 5'10 and a SP 5'6 (might change it for a 5"4).
                          I want a third board for bigger more powerfull waves the ones that my SF can not handle!!!
                          Until know it was only a choise between alternator or hellfire!!
                          But know it's more complicated with MB and hellrazor.
                          I'm a low intermediate surfer,I can catch waves and maybe do some bottom turns and some weak cutbacks...I'm 5'9 and 177lbs.
                          The waves I want to use the board are shoulder to well overhead but usually not barreling.
                          I want my third board to keep it and not sell it after a year.By this I mean I want the board to keep it like my normal shortboard and
                          not have to change it because I will be a better surfer(hope so)!

I would really appreciate your opinion!
                          thanks.

Comment

Buy a 6'4 or 6'6 Alternator it will cope with anything overhead and will not overlap with the other 2 boards,. I have a 5'10 and a 5'4 SP (awesome) and a 6'6 board for the big juicy stuff - perfect 3 board quiver - Ive ridden the 6'6 Alternator and its great and exactly for what you describe. Dont get hung up on fancy new models (the hellrazor in a 6'5 is also a potential), you have 2 great boards already, the MB isnt designed as a big wave board, and the hellfire is still a hybrid. Thats my 10 p

Comment

Thanks surfireland,

I agree with you the alternator is a great choise,but I'm considering the 6'2 squash tail.The 6'4 I think is too long for my height and it has a lot of volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X