Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alternator or Hellfire?

Hey guys,

I am looking at adding a third board to my quiver (6'4" Dom, 5'6" Sweet Pot) and I am tossing up between a 6'4" Hellfire or a 6'6" Alternator. I would consider myself an intermediate surfer, 40 years old, 6'2" and weigh in at about 83 kgs. My fitness is pretty good but time on the water fairly slim in the last 6 months. The new board is coming with me on a Maldives boat trip so will be used (hopefully) in some fairly clean fun waves.

Does anyone have any opinions either way? Is the Hellfire too close to the Dom?

Cheers,

Pablo

I personally think the Alt and Dom are well matched boards. I think it'd be perfect at the length you have in mind. It's basically your classic all round, every day shortboard for everyday mortals.

The Hellfire has fans no doubt but I like the Alt.

Comment

Buzzy, one day you have to try the HF, I swear you'll be a convert!

Comment

True, true. Indeed I might demo one this weekend. But I do like my boards uncomplicated. The Alt remains for me probably the best board I've surfed.

Comment

I've ridden both and would actually go hellrazor, refined rails of the alt in a more modern zippier design with quad option, be brilliant for maldives. Just back from fiji on mine - cant fault it.

Comment

There are definitely a lot of FireWire boards that cross over in that area. Hell razor, Quadrafive, Alt, the Michel Bourez for a touch more performance, and then the more hybrid boards like the Hellfire, Futura, and Mini Driver. I tend to be drawn to the cleaner shapes with less aggressive bottom contours and traditional rails, and others prefer different designs. It's not really a right and wrong equation. Most people of average to better surfing ability could blindly choose any of these boards at a volume appropriate to their weight and they'd perform fantastically. Just they all give a slightly different feel and might prefer slight different wave shapes. Because of the flex mainly, but also durability, in my view any of these would perform better than virtually all traditionally constructed boards.

Comment

I had the same dilemma and ended up going with the 6'4 HF. Awesome fast, loose board and I love it. I think whatever you choose HF, Alt or HZ you are going to be stoked.

Comment

Think I have made a decision on this...Hell Fire it is. Thanks everyone for the input...appreciate it.

Comment

6/4 Hellfire, boat trip, Maldives-----match made in heaven. Riptides, May 2012. Have fun Pablo.Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attachment The alternator will handle the bigger more powerful surf better, makes taking big drops easier. Had my 6'6 out yesterday in solid double over head (pic above). It handled it with ease, Its very sure footed and reliable in the bigger surf the extra length on my alternator also makes it a real easy board to paddle, long and "quite" narrow,
                    Attached Files

Comment

i know that wave. safe to say it gets pretty big out there??

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                        Attachment The alternator will handle the bigger more powerful surf better, makes taking big drops easier. Had my 6'6 out yesterday in solid double over head (pic above). It handled it with ease, Its very sure footed and reliable in the bigger surf the extra length on my alternator also makes it a real easy board to paddle, long and "quite" narrow,
                        Hey Ireland, is the right off that peak any good?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                          I would Defo go my 6"2 round Pin Alt at the peak on a day like that. Sick.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pablo,

I am the same size as you and have had all the boards you were referring too. The DOM was great but limited when waves get good, the SP was just for the little stuff and the Alternator may be for when it gets bigger. I personally have loved the HF, I ride it from 3-overhead and it goes amazing! I love this board as it paddles great, duck dives great and handles everything with ease. Even when the beach breaks get a little steeper it goes amazing. I am totally sold and think you should consider the 6-2 or if you want the extra foam and are not concerned about duck diving go for the 6-4.

Another great option would be for the El Fuego as it goes amazingly well and handles bigger surf than the DOM, but with the 5 fin option can be set up however you would like. I would say that those 2 boards are my current favorites.

Good luck and it sounds like you have an amazing trip planned.
                            Last edited by hwork50; 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Piha What fins do you like on your Alternator? aloha, gkekoa

Comment

Working...
                              X