X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt. future fins for big guy?

Just got my 6'8 Alt fst , does anyone know wat futures work good with them for hawaiian surf? anywhere head high and over head high. using as my medium size waves 3-4 HI size. hows da EAs, AM2,any others etc… i curently have SA4, Rusty 5 fin, WCTs. i like WCT for quick cuts, SA4 seem too big unless i use it for 4-5 ft(but at that pt im bussing out my round pin). my rustys seem too small. aloha 5'10, 195lb

Howzit gkekoa,
    I dont have an Alt, but I have one on order. Been riding a 6 6 HF. I am actually heavier than you, 200+ and ride mostly Futures. I personally like the Simon Anderson setup. Probably my favorite fins, I also like the Ponchos, though I bust those out when the surf is cranking. A lot of guys like the AM 2, but I didnt care for them. Being that your on Oahu, there are a lot of surf shops there that have the future fin tree. Thats the best way to figure out what works for you. Want to try out the Jordy Fins, those look sick!!

Aloha

Comment

Panchos thrusters and SA4 quads... i want to try the Jordys, but i only use thrusters when the waves get real good, the Panchos r real stable and predictable.

Comment

yeah pancho's and sa's...tip area works well with that board

Comment

I use PC7's and GAM's (FCS) on my 6'8" Alt. In Futures I reckon the Kinetic Racing Occy's would be pretty close to PC7's, and the AM2 Futures is the equivalent of the GAM.

Comment

oh, just read you dont like the sa3's in it...if you go bigger.. eg am2, then dont go techflex as you may feel similar restriction to the sa's.. the hex may be a little free-er...but maybe not..try and test them... the ea's are a medium fin...i get more hold in a medium from the jc template in a 604 alt..slightly smaller base than the ea but more tip... hold, drive and still turns.. even though you find the sa's to big, you may try them, or the am2's etc with a smaller rear...say the wct rear..?? mix it up and see

Comment

Mahalos for all da help, gonna hit up a fin tree, got sum good nw and waiting for da winds to change, gkekoa

Comment

speaking of kinetic, the parkos look pretty good. not as much rake as the panchos. i've been eyeing those out for the VG as a quad, but the SA4's work really well

Comment

Ive been loving the EA Blackstix on my 6'5 Hellrazor in head high and above and they are probably similar enough boards.. Enough drive and they turn nice and tight and release easily enough. I also have a set of AM2's I tried for a few sessions, but they felt too tight, Great for all out down the line speed and drive but noticably harder to turn. For some reason though I probably prefer the AM2's in my Hellfire though.......

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
                    speaking of kinetic, the parkos look pretty good. not as much rake as the panchos. i've been eyeing those out for the VG as a quad, but the SA4's work really well
                    Fokai where do u surf? and what boards do u use for those conditions and fins, anyone else from oahu can tell me same? how u liking VG, where do u use it, aloha, gkekoa

Comment

winter- 1st check Makaha. if the west aint got it i go north. usually Lanis or Vland. summer- Diamongd Head, Queens/ Threes, Concessions. i got free parking in Waikiki which sets up Threes real nice.

since i got the VG, i'll use SA4 quads and surf it from 2' to 6'. havent caught Vland for a while, else i wud use the Q5 when its 4'+. lately tho, i've been riding the ADD due to "wtf" mystery dings on the VG. also cus Makaha has been having solid waves fro 2'-10' since Thanksgiving. when its big i bust out my "HULK" poly just cus i dont like getting hung up w epoxies, or i dont have the right epoxy. if u like sample the VG, lmk.

Comment

What sort of 'mystery dings' fokai? The VG sure has a lot of points and hard edges, I fear it's only a matter of time before I chip or crack some of those...

Comment

i've already repaired each side of the nose on the corner. i cant say what happened, but they cudnt b repaired w solarez. cloth patches on both sides. the repairs came out good, but both were chipped pretty hard. i really like the board and dont normally ding my boards where i have to repair them. i can sell my Q5, ADD, and SF as if they were brand new so fixing the VG 3 times has been kind of a let down.

Comment

Mahalo for da break down fokai, lookin at gettin a mini driver, aloha, be lookin out for u

Comment

fokaiHI yeah I am guessing some of your other boards are FST? Keep in mind the VG is glass on foam on the nose and the funny corners which are danger points for sure.

I personally had to glass my vanguard after my first session as well after falling on a carving 3 as the wave closed out and i took the board off my leg.

Definitely use a board bag for it if you don't already.

Comment

Working...
                              X