Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with alternator size and performance?

Hi guys.
    Mint website and forum, realy good stuff! I have recently been getting a bit stale with my surfing and have been researching Firewire boards. Let me just say reading through the forums and looking through the boards has got my super keen to get a couple of Firewires and lit the spark for me again. My current quiver consists of a small wave board, performance board, and a step up board for when it gets hairy. All three boards are fibrglass. My performance board is 6'0, 18 3/8, 2 1/4 and my stats are 5'11, 66kgs, 27 years old, quite fit and been surfing for around 13 years. I have been planning on going slightly smaller and slightly wider with my performance board looking at the 5'10, 18 1/2, 2 1/4 alternator at 25.9 litres.
    My question is would the Alt be a good choice for an above average level surfer? I am definately not sponsership material, but compared to the average level local i surf pretty good.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks for getting me frothing to go surfing again!
    ... Stoop.

I absolutely love the Alternator. It's a perfect approachable HPSB for the every day average to strong surfer. It isn't quite as refined as say a Taj or a Flexfire but (a) people (including even Taj) seem to be moving a bit away from the super refined boards of 5 years or so ago, adding a touch of width and thickness, and (b) most people really don't benefit from those boards except if they're regularly surfing super refined waves. At least imho. Indeed, I was going to say that the Alt is a perfect board for a strong surfer but below the level that might attract sponsorship and as I looked up to refresh myself on what you'd said that's exactly how you've described yourself!

I won't venture into appropriate sizing as I'm so far off 66kg and 27 I couldn't hope to guess what would work, but the board itself is fantastic.

Comment

Thanks heaps Buzzy, you have got me real keen on the alternator!!!!!

Comment

I think you are on point with the 5,10

Comment

Thanks for the reply Prjwebb. Im interested in your opinion on a small wave board to compliment the 5'10 Alternator. Im tossing up between the Dom/Spit, Elf, or Activator?
          I really like the Dom/Spit but may be a bit chunky for me at 5'6 and 28.4 litres?
          The elf in a 5'7 is a bit less chunky at 26.7litres which I like the sound of. My small board would be used in typical beachy conditions mainly, in the knee to shoulder/head range. I have heard that the elf is more suited to long pointbreak style waves, or can it still perform in crumbly beachies?

Comment

I haven't actually ridden the El Fuego. I think it would go alright in beachies that run of down the line quickly.
            If I were you I'd look at the Unibrow for a small wave board. If you're light on your feet and surf well it should grovel well but without the chunk of the Dominator.

Comment

Just noticed the one gap in the smaller Unibrow sizes is the 5'7 which probably would have been spot on for you...

Comment

Would the Activator be a good choice for me in terms of riding like a dominator/spit but a little less volume at 5'7 @ 27.4 litres?

Comment

Yeah it could be a good choice if you like that tail. It strikes me as a board you can surf a little more forward through fatter sections and then stomp back on the tail when the wave stands up and have plenty of control in the pocket.
                  Check out Deon's posts on the activator. He's loving his.

Comment

stoop, the el fuego is a great board. Very efficient use of volume. It has refined rails for when you get moving and a nice wide point for under the front foot when you need to milk it.

I would say at your weight, 66kgs or 145 lbs, you might be able to make the 506 Unibrow work. Also if you are looking to get into the small wave performance realm, you really should consider the Chubby Chedda as well. It has the volume you are after and will be a board that will be right there with you as you progress...

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X