Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camry representing!!! yeah slowman. Lets slow things down though....

Comment

Hey guys i've got the same question. i'm 44, 6'3" 205 lbs. and surf 6 days a week for almost 3 years. unfortunately i surf heavy beach breaks like ocean beach SF.

i surf a 6'8" alternator in decent 4-7' and just ordered a 6'4" spitfire for the small stuff. now i'm looking to finish out my quiver on the top end: 7'- 10'. my problem with bigger waves is really only when they get really steep (especially off shore) and heavy. i feel like i can't get in in time and my drop ends up being too steep for my comfort level. my paddling is pretty strong but i may just lack confidence as i've gotten a concussion, multiple stitches and broken 7 boards in my short career. i'm wondering about using a bigger alternator since i'm pretty comfortable on them. the question would be 6'10" or 7'2". i guess the trade off is getting in earlier on the 7'2" but maybe having it skip around on me more?

i actually have a 7'2" which was my first "short board" but it's a squash tail. how important is it that it be a round tail. i only really care about making the wave and getting down the line for now. is the round tail like 10% better for this or like 50% better for this? i'm not dying to order a 7'2" roundtail if it's only a little different. in fact, could i just compensate for the tail by getting massive fins?

summary for short attention spans :)
      step up from 6'8" go-to board for 7'-10':
      - 6'10 or 7'2 alternator?
      - round vs. squash: small difference or huge difference?
      - can i compensate for it with huge fins?

thanks a bunch, looking forward to getting back to surfing and not typing!

Comment

Attachment
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
          i actually have a 7'2" which was my first "short board" but it's a squash tail. how important is it that it be a round tail. i only really care about making the wave and getting down the line for now. is the round tail like 10% better for this or like 50% better for this? i'm not dying to order a 7'2" roundtail if it's only a little different. in fact, could i just compensate for the tail by getting massive fins?

summary for short attention spans :)
          step up from 6'8" go-to board for 7'-10':
          - 6'10 or 7'2 alternator?
          - round vs. squash: small difference or huge difference?
          - can i compensate for it with huge fins?

thanks a bunch, looking forward to getting back to surfing and not typing!
          I think the difference between a squash and a round tail probably won't be huge depending on the rest of the board. Things like rails and rocker make the difference too as well as overall plan shape. Besides I think it is a rounded pin which is often seen on boards meant for bigger waves. I have had both squash tail and rounded pin that I've used in bigger waves and both seemed handle size about the same, I just prefered the rounded pin, it seemed to pivot better and release better off the top. It surprised me that the stiffer of the two was the squash tail, both similar lengths 6'5 for the rounded pin (Byrne TC Plus) and 6'6 squash (Mark Rabbidge).

You don't even need huge fins, a fin with a longish base like the R2 or TC Redline will give you lots of drive but the thing is what works in one board might not be as good in another. I've found over the years I buy the board then I have to try a few different sets until I find the right ones that complement the board and make it go how I like. That said, as a general guide something bigger will give you more hold, the question is at what expense? For bigger waves drag isn't an issue as you should have tonnes of speed, but release and turning arc still matter. Fins can help tune, but they can't change a board's basic design. It has to be designed to handle the waves you intend to ride, so whether it is a squash, round or rounded pin, if it is designed to handle the waves you want to ride it in, you'll be able to find fins that make it go well. So bigger fins, or fins with more rake might give you a bit extra, but not that much, that is, a small wave board might handle a bit more juice but obviously it will never be transformed into a big wave board.

Comment

My preferred tail shape, which is completely intuitive and I'm only now rationalising for the first time is;

Square tail for really small waves. Exception alert - I often surf my Dom in really small waves. It is fair to say though my flat rockered square tail helps generate more drive in waves which don't already offer it.

Round tail for mid size waves to maybe 1.5 up to 2 times overhead.

Rounded pin for 2 x overhead.

Sit on beach/point in admiration when it gets above 2 times overhead, or seek out novelty spots.

I also like swallow tails as an all round option but haven't had one in the quiver for a few years. Almost bid on a webber salomon s-core afterburner on evil bay recently until the logical part of my brain insisted I didn't need it. Still, Webber is a legend.

Comment

thanks guys. so do you think the 6'10 round tail or my 7'2" squash would be a decent 7'-10' board? is it a good shape or should i look at something else? are the round tails and squash identical except for the tail. or are they shaped different throughout? that photo looks a lot more sleek in the tail than my squash

Comment

Guys, Have fun chasing big Waves (and Liability), whereas at my age now, I am purely a spectator at anything Over Double Over Head ++. I cannot stay in shape nor have the time (due to young growing family) chasing that rare big wave window. More serious injuries occur when you are beyond your mental and physical capacity. All my boards now and future boards will all be targeting the average to moderate size waves for my Realm. I sold all my rhino chasers earlier last year. (7-2, 7-6, 7-10 and 8-4) A couple of them only ridden 3 times.

Comment

fritzkat is getting sensible (old and wise) like me...!!!

Comment

I think the 6'10" round tail Alternator might be "just" ok, but I suspect it will carry more tail volume and width than ideal for a 2x overhead+ board.

I'm also now looking only for boards for up to 2x overhead, which means a 2 or 3 board quiver (plus longboard etc) should be more than enough.

Comment

yeah. i draw the line at 10' so i'm not looking for anything crazy. does anyone know if the squash and round tail alternators are identical except for the very edge of the tail?

Comment

We are going to be introducing an artillery series sometime this spring summer and it will consist of guns and step ups. that will help!

Comment

Oh shiiiii....

Comment

I didn't see that coming

Comment

awesome!!!!! avail. this spring?

Comment

Sweet!!! One suggestion, if you guys could offer multiple widths and thickness in each of the lengths in standard increments, that would be great.

It seems like this happens in some of the flexfires but not all, and some of the jumps are pretty big and sort of skip what you'd think would be a regular increment.

Like a 6'6" step up in:
                                6'6 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8
                                6'6 x 19 x 2 1/2
                                6'6 x 19 1/4 x 2 5/8
                                Last edited by MeanGreen; 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X