Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott I can recommend the wide version 7'2" flex fire for bigger waves at same volume as you're 6'8" alternator. Gets in early, super smooth yet still turns well, a real confidence builder in the bigger stuff

Comment

thanks magnet. you think it'll get in earlier. even at the same float? i know the flexfire is a more advanced board than the alternator. is it going to be less forgiving?

Comment

Hey All, good stuff!! keep it coming.

Comment

Oh yea, Ill keep my eye on this.

Comment

Scott it's a beautiful smooth board, I'm an intermediate surfer and gave me the confidence to take on solid restaurants and cloud break yet still really nice to turn, fantastic on dicey drops too. Was easy transition from 6'8 alternator. A keeper. If you Look at the dims it's actually pretty conservative.

Comment

thanks magnet. i'll check out the 7'2" flexfire for sure. do you think it gets you in earlier than your 6'8" even though it's the same float and surface area? i'm also considering the alternator 6'10" round tail.

does anyone else have feedback for a step up for 8'-10' from the 6'8" alt.?
              - the 7'2" flex has equal float, approximately equal surface area but has that pin tail
              - the 6'10 alt has more float and surface area with a round tail.

i'm more concerned with getting in earlier than getting barreled so i'm leaning towards the 6'10" alt.

chris, pjr web? any news the step up line?
              also, any advise here?

i surf mostly OB in SF. pretty steep waves. hard to get in when they're in the 7'-10' range especially with offshore winds.

i'm 200 lbs, surfing 6 days a week for almost 3 years. 6'8" alt, 6'4" spitfire

Comment

Between the 7'2 FE and the 6'10" AR I'd think the AR would paddle a little better on smooth water, it'll sit more on the surface and glide well, but in water with a little more texture I can actually imagine the longer but sleeker FE cutting through the water a little easier. Tough call, especially as I don't really have any experience with step ups. Gut instinct would be that the AR would probably be the easier of the two to get in earlier with but on a more committed drop the FE would have the advantage.

If you're in no immediate hurry it could be worth hanging tight and seeing what's coming in the step up line. Chris will be the one to look to for updates on that.

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, I'll be interested in a 608 or 700 type alternator but with 35-36 liters of volume and maybe a tad narrower then my current alt in 608 and round or pin tail option..... I surfed two weeks in Peru recently, using the 608 daily, wave size was from 6-12 feet frontside, and especially on the heaver point breaks, I struggled to duck dive when on the in-side, the standard alt in 608 packs a lot of volume that I think could be reduced for the bigger days, but I love the outline and length of this board....

Cheers
                  Last edited by Ben; 04-15-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Geez, I feel a little guilty Ben! At 90kg I'm findingthat after duckdiving 5 or 6 waves in a row the 7th or 8th one can start to become problematic, but when I was carrying more kgs I didn't find that at all. As a rough rule of thumb I'd therefore put the changeover point from a 6'8" Alt to a 6'6" Alt in the sense of noticing an impact on duckdiving at around my current weight, give or take a kilo either way. Maybe you dropped some kgs in Peru?

But I'd really love to see a round tail 6'8". I could then turn my 6'8" into a 6'6" performance square tail Alt and a 6'8" round tail step up Alt and I'd be a happy camper.

Comment

Hi Buzz, thanks. its not so much the quantity of waves that I have to duck, its more when the surf is big and you surf at a point where its shallow water 4-5 feet and rock reef, the energy from a 9-12 feet wave sometimes when I ducked under just rips the boards out of my hands literally. I'm in pretty good shape right now, training etc before going to Peru, so could have lost a couple of kgs, but I really don't think that's the main reason :-)... talked with some of my friends about it, seems like I do duck-diving ok according to what they can see. In deeper waters i don't have this issue at all even with bigger waves. I was observing guys with much lesser volume surely also less weight, and they tend to not have this issue that often. One of my friends also on the trip to Peru, he used a 608 PU, but with 29 liters, he is 70 kgs, and it just seems like he with less trouble ducks under these shallow water bombs, I might be doing something wrong here, not only blaming the equipment ;-) could be that I need to adjust the duck-diving for this kind of surf or do something different...or maybe its the timing of duck-diving that goes wrong on the shallower spots. I have a 605 PU, around 35 liters, its just so much easier to duck obviously, but sometimes I get the feel that the EPS have 'more' buoyancy, if you know what I mean, despite the 608 only carries ~5 more liters.

Yeah, it would be something to have an round tailed 608 step-up and a 606 alt square for the daily surf.

Cheers

I like the feel of the alt 608, maybe I should try the 606 at some point as reference.

Comment

Buzz, I can see you have sneaked in a 604 Futura on the quiver there....its 35.4 liters, how does it compare to your current 2 board setup? How often do you surf the Futura (what conditions)?

Cheers

Comment

Ben, it hasn't arrived yet. It won't arrive until June I'm told. I'll be sure to give a report. Basically though I was looking for something more refined than the Dom but not a shortboard. Also, I felt that the Alt had just a touch too much foam for me at 90-91kg, but still very much useable - last surf on it was fantastic. I was after a Hellfire at 6'4" or 6'6" or a Futura at 6'4" to sit between the Dom and Alt. I was tossing up between the HF lengths and it kind of dawned in me I could use the Futura at 6'4" but retain a tad of extra width, and it's really probably the planing surface I need (given an adequate amount of foam) rather than volume. Having said that, I'd probably feel more comfortable in my mind if the Futura was 37 litres rather than 36, but it's not a huge difference.

As I mentioned in another thread if I can get the Alternator at 6'8" in a rount tail I'd be very happy. I may also look at a 6'6" Alt just with a touch of extra width (I'm 46 going on 47 yoa) via CBD but really, I should be quite happy with the quiver as it is because, as I say, the excess volume I perceive in the Alt is really very marginal.

So yeah, I reckon 38 litres is probably about right for me at 90-91kg, with a tad more in a small wave board (ie the Dom or Spit), where I'm happy to carry a tad more volume. But really I don;t think a couple of litres either way is going to make a huge difference as I'd adjust.

Comment

Scott PJ's assessment of 7'2" FE and 6'10 ALT is probably about right, I would add that to me, the rails of the 6'10 look too thick to really be the goods as a step up...when it's big you really need that finer, dependable rail connection in my view, which is what led me to the 7'2" FE. I've belated on for ages that there's a gap in the firewire range in this space. Since getting that board tho, I was lucky enough to get a round tail 6'8" designed by Nev and that is a great 4 to 7 foot board too so there is some cross over there. Buzzy, I see that you want one, if coming to Auckland you can buy mine as I'm getting a little overlapped in my quiver having just added an HF. As an aside I actually find the 7'2" almost as easy to turn in solid surf as my 6'8 ALTs - I think it's the increased rocker. Only issue is adjusting to the extra length, especially when you've been riding a spud all summer!

Comment

Oh Scott, to answer your question directly, paddle in is about the same I would say...

Comment

thanks magnet and pjrweb. my concern is that the flexfire would be less forgiving. i'm used to the alternator but definitely not as good as i'd like to be on it. i'd hate to surf something more challenging on bigger days. from a beginning intermediate perspective what do you think is the safer (less likely to blow it) choice :)

thanks

also, Chris. how's the new line coming?

Comment

Working...
                                X