Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do we get a big wave board for big guys - rounded pin?

Lots of mass market boards going on here, but what about a big wave board for big guys, anything in the pipe?

Like a gun or something like this?

Comment

Like the FE Step ups I guess but thicker and wider for the bigger guys. Like an Alternator step up I reckon.

Comment

Yes I tried the 6'4 and 6'6 FF and both felt too fickle and twitchie - 6'6 alternator pin / rpunded tail would be cool

Comment

6'10" or 7'0" rounded pin using Alternator as reference point would be great.

Comment

you dont want too much foam in the water guys or you will all bounce out of the face...keep em sleek

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
              you dont want too much foam in the water guys or you will all bounce out of the face...keep em sleek
              What size gun would you ride for your weight in 6ft plus waves

Comment

depends on conditions...that dictates more than just size...and by 6ft, i mean large waves, not head high.....

i've been out over 6ft on the 510 hellfire...in glass it was a buzz..in chop i was getting nervy...at 6ft or a bit more if clean i have enjoyed the 6'2 x 18 3/4 flexy...thats a board that rides anything ...crap or as big as you can paddle into...sometimes it has not got enough rail to get turns in down the line...thats the conditions i would look at stepping up...

.i need to update my guns, but then again as i age and my back ages even more i'm finding i dont want to go out in ridiculous stuff...so maybe not!!..getting whimpy these days..but..if i do, they will be replacements for my nev's...essentially flexfires will do this...not as knifey railed as i had when handshaped but close enough overall...so...

if normal shooter is all out making the distance, i will go a straight forward 6'6 pin, same width, thickness and volume...

if i'm going to feel "exposed" on the 6'6 i will stretch out to a 6'10...after that, i dont think i have the nerve or inclination anymore..(maybe not even the 6'10)...

would probably look at direct drive for the step ups...particularly the 6'10

Comment

Just what I was thinking as well
                  The direct drive would be pretty much bullet proof in most conditions
                  Also I used to throw a 6'10 gun in the bag (not FW) on every Indo trip and was the goods
                  It wouldn't come out often but was glad it was there when the swell was up
                  It also put to bed any excuses of not having a board big enough to surf ha ha
                  The step up recommendations these days though would have me on a 6'6 but to me when the swell is up there is a lot of water moving around, cleanup sets, your caught inside a lot more
                  Your pretty much working your butt off the whole time
                  Once on riding the wave it's a different story but getting there is hard part
                  I know the pro's are still riding boards that are really short but there a different kettle of fish altogether. At the same time though they are riding 9'0 ft boards at waimea
                  I just think more length and volume aren't a bad thing in big waves (double overhead plus)
                  We need all the help we can get
                  Last edited by Wandi; 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

i'd be looking at direct drive for more stiffness as there could be more violent weighting/unweighting thru high speed chop/boils etc..and more force through a longer but not much thicker or wider board..

thinking about my previous post and how i'm turning into an old woman...i've got nothing more to prove...i know i'm a sooky wimp..!!.....maybe i'll just get one 7'2-7'6 and turn into "the old man of the point"...just sit right on the rock and cruise onto anything over 6ft..!!

Comment

Had the same issue, at 90 kg found 6'8" alt just a tad wide in the tail for serious or surf...especially off the bottom. Ordered a custom 6'8 alt with a nice pulled in round tail which has solved thbe problem. Very smooth and controlled. be good to add this board to the range.

Comment

I didn't know you could do that. I thought custom on the Alt was limited to up to 6'6". A 6'8" Alt in round tail would be perfect. How do I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                          thinking about my previous post and how i'm turning into an old woman...i've got nothing more to prove...i know i'm a sooky wimp..!!.....maybe i'll just get one 7'2-7'6 and turn into "the old man of the point"...just sit right on the rock and cruise onto anything over 6ft..!!
                          At 53 and surfing for 40+ years I'm in the same boat. I've surfed the biggest waves I'm ever going to surf, I've eaten the hottest curries, eaten the most chilly, drank the most beer, sculled the fastest schooner, pulled the biggest cones, driven my fastest top speed (in a camry LOL), I'm ever going to. I've found my limits long ago. That of course doesn't mean I won't test them every so often. Especially the way surfboard design is progressing but double overhead is probably about my limit these days, depending on the waves and conditions I might go bigger but I'm surfing for enjoyment, so if the conditions only offer the challenge of testing your limits I'll pass. I don't mind having the limits tested while I'm having great waves, like everyone I guess.

For bigger waves I have a 6'8 Aloha AF2 and I haven't even ridden it yet. I bought it for double overhead but no opportunity has presented itself yet, maybe last Sunday was nearly that on some of the bombs but I was too busy on the Hellfire. Though the AF2 was designed to surf 2' to 10' and is a standard HPSB design with some extra volume. I probably should have bought the 6'6" as it is closer to the ideal volume but I want early not late takeoffs. However after catching FW fever and finding how well they work I'm rethinking that and wondering just what the limits on the Hellraiser are. Still, I'd like to see what Nev could come up with for 4'-10' too.
                          Last edited by Slowman; 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                            I didn't know you could do that. I thought custom on the Alt was limited to up to 6'6". A 6'8" Alt in round tail would be perfect. How do I do that?
                            Ask uncle Nev really nicely

Comment

You got lucky there Magnet!

Comment

Working...
                              X