Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6' alternator vs. 6' mb (thinned out version)

so how would these compare? ride? float? PADDLING? performance?

they seem similiar and i've pretty much narrowed my selection down to these two or three if i go wither a thicker mb

i'm assuming the mb will have a harder paddle..no biggie, you might not notice it or you'll get used to it...performance will be looser/more reactive/fit in tighter but require more input from you...if you want it for med to good waves then MB....if you want it for lesser waves then the alt will plane better...but you have a dom and back up alt already, so i would be locking in a full HP...but thats because i only like riding HP's...
    Last edited by core personal training; 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

thanks core.. the mb would be my stomach+ board.. have the dom for waist ish and spud for soft knee waist lazy days haven't touched the alt in quite a while might even sell it if i get the mb.

i'm been wanting to get back on a hp board after riding hybrids for a while.. to go back and see what i've been missing

thinking the mb with those blackstix ea's will be a money setup

Comment

Yeah I'd say the MB has more HP rails and a more HP rocker, probably a more pulled in tail too. I'd be interested to see how the outlines compare. It's going to be the dream board kdropin, don't even consider anything else!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
          Yeah I'd say the MB has more HP rails and a more HP rocker, probably a more pulled in tail too. I'd be interested to see how the outlines compare. It's going to be the dream board kdropin, don't even consider anything else!
          ha i know it seems that way.. but i always have that natural east coast doubt about volume and paddleability.. (is that even a word?)

Comment

It's gonna be a board for better days. You have the Dom for days you need volume. It sounds like the perfect blend of a fuller outline and super high performance rocker and rails. It's going to paddle better than a Taj or Flexfire but surf more aggressively than an Alternator.
            If you want a HPSB it's got to be the one.

Comment

yeah good stuff folks.

The primary and most noteworthy difference in the two boards is the rocker profile. The Michel is tuned to be a high performance shortboard for the surfer after a traditional thruster feeling. Its going to be very well rounded in that it can handle waist plus, barrels, points, beachies etc. Also worth noting is the profile of the boards. the Alternator has a little bit of a bomb tail, while the Michel has a continuous, progressive curve. this will make for a more fluid and reliable transition from rail to rail at higher speeds and will give the surfer more control, again, when moving quickly....

Comment

I really like the rapid fire tech, and was about to get the 6'0 alternator rapid fire, but I really wanted something able to hold a little better in large surf so the MB sounds like the ticket. How does the springer tech in the MB thick models compare to rapid fire? to regular fst?

also, would an intermediate surfer be able to get as much out of the MB as they would from the alternator?
                Thanks for any info

Comment

Don't over look the round tail Alternator either!
                  I think the MB is going to suit steeper, punchy waves whereas the flatter Alternator will work a little easier in slopey conditions.
                  Both boards will suit an intermediate well in my opinion but the MB is going to want a little more input than the Alternator which will be a nice forgiving alrounder.

Comment

jonesy, i think you posted in two threads re the springer vs rapidfire.....so i will put this answer in both...i prefer RF too..i'm heavyish and push hard and like the firmer response...but i'm getting an MB anyway...shape is your primary concern, then tech....you will also feel a bigger difference between your 2 boards because one is long and thin and the other is short and thick...having said that, the springer in my opinion is still closer to the fst flex than the rapidfire...the way i feel it is more rigidity under my front foot than fst...i would always choose rapidfire if it was an option, but getting the right board under your feet is the most important part of the mix..if you are not too heavy/dont push too hard then you will most likely find the springer firms things up enough for you

Comment

thanks core and Prj! spot on as always.

Comment

Working...
                      X