X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custome alt or lost sub?

Looking to fill my gap, I have a 510 dom and a 603 flexfire. Surfing east coast beach breaks would a custom alt 600 19.25x2.5 or 510 lost sub scorcher be the ticket. We get alot of days when it barrels and kinda steep but not quite enough for the flexfire. I love boards that feel skatey off my back foot. I have surfed a friends 6'2 alt before had the feel that I like off the tail but was a little to big for what i want the board for. Just wonder if making a shorter fatter alt would be what i need to make a semi grovel/chest to head barrel rider. I have never surfed the sub so not sure how it would fit into what iam looking for, let me know what you guys think, Thanks

Since no-one has chimed in yet I'll jump in, even though I haven't surfed a sub scorcher.

In my humble opinion the Alt is just an exceptional board. it surfs reasonably small waves well provided they have push. Tweaking it by adding width, particularly nose width, would definitely extend its low end range.

I haven't surfed the sub scorcher though and it looks like a really good small to medium wave board.

Comment

The Sub is really fun but the nose is a bit wide and the entry rocker a little flat for late drops into barrels.
      If you have waves which let you in easy it would be a good option, but the Alt is a solid bet. I made up a custom 510 x 19 x 2.31 myself that looked real fun. Might try and order it one day.

Another one to think about is the Minnie Driver, or even the Hell Razor.

Comment

just started looking at the MB 6'0 thick looks really nice. might have trade the flexfire in. Still really interested in a CBD alt as well. Wonder how the6'0 thick MB would do in smaller surf

Comment

I have a CBD Taj based of the 600 MB dims. It goes really well in any conditions as long as the wave has some curve. If its flat on the face then the rocker doesn't fit the face so well.
          I've surfed it down to waist high though and it works, just a lot more effort than a Dom etc in those conditions.

Comment

Ya iam wondering if i got the MB if I would even ride my flexfire. Do you think these two would be to much overlap. I like my flexfire but really like a fuller board. Chris you know if any MB's are coming to maryland soon.

Comment

I think the flexfire would still be a good pick when conditions are lined up and perfect and you want that sensitivity.
              I see the MB more as a board to be man handled in a range of conditions, that said its still going to rip in perfect conditions. My 600 Taj is my go to board in anything over chest high.

Comment

hey lersurfian,
                Who is your closest dealer??

As for the barreling surf when you have off shores but not a ton of size (classic east coast beach break) the Alternator would be a great choice. I recently rode my alternator in some fun punchy beach break conditions earlier this spring in New England and it did great. I think it would be a great in between board. The hell razor could also do the trick as its a bit wider than a traditional shortboard.

cheers

Comment

Kcoast is my local shop. Checked what they had no MB's. Didnt know if they were gona get any on this summer. As far as the alt goes do you think a custom 6'0 at 19.25 wide would still work well.

Comment

Went with the 6'0 lost sub hopefully it gets here soon.

Comment

Nice, let us know how you get on. I always liked my 508 Sub, hated myself for selling it.

Comment

Ya i will hoping the 6'0 is the right pick, kept going back and forth over 5'10 or 6'0. Just need a spud now and ill be set.

Comment

Yeah they are a funny one, I thought I'd be on the 510 on paper but it felt too big when I held it and the 508 felt good. A 509 probably would have been perfect.

I think with you at 6'3" tall the 6'0" is probably a good pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X