X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top End on a BP

What do you guys think is the upper limit of a baked potato? I'm 5'10" and about 180-185, 38 yrs old, so I was thinking the 5'7" BP might be about right with the little help the volume would give me. Could I use it as my everyday board?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You can ride them up to head high no problem but there's a point when you stop surfing properly and are just doing high speed runs going too fast to turn and holding on for dear life.
    I think it's more down to the type of wave rather than the size. A chest high punchy beach-break running fast down the line can make it hard to lay down a turn, but a headhigh, slow, mushy point you could still be zippy around all over the face. If you're looking at having more top end and you're locking at being able to turn hard at speed I'd keep it as small as possible.

Comment

Hey Ron where are you gonna be surfing that baby???
      I'm pretty much your same sats, and the 5'7" packs LOTS of foam in it. How often do you surf? cause you could easily be on a 5'5" even the 5'3"

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I usually surf Massachusetts or NH, mostly beach breaks. I have a lost bottom feeder that I love, but the the thing has almost zero rocker and a ton of volume so I'm not feeling too comfortable on it in larger waves. I've put on some pounds recently, and combined with lack of surf fitness and age I'm feeling the need for a bit more volume. Potatonator?

Comment

Yessir, potatonator is the way to go buddy. Still plenty of volume and that needed rocker. I go often to surf in Maine (Ogunquit), and these boards are suite for those waves like a glove

Comment

Ron...I have a 55 BP and am 41 and around 185+ lbs. There is heaps of volume in that board. if not for the rail length I could probably go 5'3. Great board up to chest / head high but like the guys say after that there are much better options.

Comment

Look at the waves you surf, if its a gentle relaxed wave even over head, the board will work, but if its steep fast and powerful, there are other better boards to have in your quiver, I would never see the BP as a one quiver board, but it could be a 75% board depending on your surf spots

Comment

yeah great points ireland. that is a good way to look at it!!

Comment

I had some sucky 4ft yesterday on the BP. Was surprised how well it went in those conditions. Def has more high end range than the potato.

Comment

Working...
                  X