Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida quiver?

Hey guys!
    Thinking of starting a firewire quiver and i cant decide. Originally i want a baked potato 5'3 spitfire 5'6 and a 5'10 alternaor but then i saw baked doesnt come in fst and thats what i wanted my quiver to be in would it make that much of a difference to have one in rapid fire would it feel weird? So my next quiver option was p nator 5'6 spitfire 5'6 and alternator 5'10 should i go with this or just deal with the rapid fire? By the way i am 5'9 155 lbs. alao i just dont like the sweet potato so i disnt take it into consideration. Thanks!

Originally posted by benpruch View Post
    Hey guys!
    Thinking of starting a firewire quiver and i cant decide. Originally i want a baked potato 5'3 spitfire 5'6 and a 5'10 alternaor but then i saw baked doesnt come in fst and thats what i wanted my quiver to be in would it make that much of a difference to have one in rapid fire would it feel weird? So my next quiver option was p nator 5'6 spitfire 5'6 and alternator 5'10 should i go with this or just deal with the rapid fire? By the way i am 5'9 155 lbs. alao i just dont like the sweet potato so i disnt take it into consideration. Thanks!
    Hey Ben, I just picked up a 5'5 BP and got it in White Rapid Fire.. I have had around 20+ FW boards and all but 1 before this BP have been in FST or Direct Drive..I love the White Rapid Fire Baked Potato...it rides really nicely..feels a bit more solid than the Rapid Fires I have ridden or owned in the past. I thought I would upgrade to FST if and when they make BP's in FST but after riding it for a week I wont bother. I would definitely go with your first quiver selection and own a BP. I really like the PN and demoed it a lot but its not a great small wave board compared to the BP and frankly I would rather go the BP then SF so you have all the small end covered. I couldnt get the PN really going until it was chest high and at that hight I would rather ride a more HP board. Good luck .

Comment

Also... with smaller thicker high volume boards the whole flex thing doesnt matter as much. Food for thought.

Comment

Thanks that helped a lot! and made me worry less. what finds do you ride on your baked potato i was thinking of getting some controllers. and do you think the white rapid fire is stronger than rapid fire?

Comment

Too early for me to say whether or not it is stronger. I am particularly hard on decks and thats one of the main reasons I go with FST but I will let you know after I ride the BP more. I wouldn't not buy a board because of potential foot wells though. I have a couple of non FW boards that have foot wells and I could care less as long as they dont split the lamination. I am currently using controllers. My first time using them and while I like them I have nothing to compare them to in that board other than a brief stint with Elevon quads in it. I like the Elevons but they do feel different..which I like. I will soon switch to the Rasta quads to start from a relatively neutral base and see how that then compares to controllers, elevons and even the AM Tech flex quad set. I suspect I will just enjoy all 4 for different sensations but outside of the Elevons and Controllers (radical designs) I am sure there will be an optimal more traditional set. Curious about the Simons too but I have the FCS set of them (Dont have them in Futures) and know that fin well...it would work for sure.

Comment

WHITE RF - Doubt if its any stronger than the standard RF construction - Before you carried away with assumed conclusions - look at the facts here firstly, RF is lighter than FST - it is still strong and durable - in small wave surfing you want your board as light as possible - more responsive - better

In larger surf I prefer the FST - bit heavier but this is compensated by the more powerful surf -

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
              WHITE RF - Doubt if its any stronger than the standard RF construction - Before you carried away with assumed conclusions - look at the facts here firstly, RF is lighter than FST - it is still strong and durable - in small wave surfing you want your board as light as possible - more responsive - better

In larger surf I prefer the FST - bit heavier but this is compensated by the more powerful surf -
              Gee I dont know if I agree with that Ireland. Look at longboards , particularly logs...those thing weigh a ton and are mostly for small surf. Thats where they get their swoop and glide. I personally like a bit of weight and was delighted my WRF is not as light as the standard RF. There is only 100's of grams in it but I can tell when I pick it up. Boards that are too light lack momentum and I reckon thats important in smaller fatter surf and not so much in more hollow punchy surf..particularly if the board has some planning area.

Comment

Maybe its the 100grams of white dye? - I'll agree to disagree on the weight issue, I have a volan resin tint heavy log (zeph)

Comment

yeah i think you guys are on two different arguments. In my opinion, small wave, retro boards that have a heavily glassed are designed for INERTIA based small wave surfing, or gliding. This style has less maneuverability and a more deliberate ride/flow. The light small wave board is designed for performance, immediate response and a progressive approach in a lot of ways. In my opinion a potatonator rides well because its super light. an 9-4 single fin, or a KG twinny, ride well because they are heavy.

Cheers

Comment

Not so much an argument Chris but a different perspecitve being shared. I like a bit of weight in all of my boards. I have had compasnd boads that were too light and only worked well in flawless conditions which we rarely get. It always felt too light and lacked momentum. New FW generations since losing the valve are slightly heavier and I think that makes all the difference for me. They ride much better.

Comment

I had a sweet potato and traded a guy in the water for a go on a mccoy nugget, the nugget felt like it was made lead - fine once you built up speed - but I was pretty disgusted at how crap it felt - back on the sweet potato it was business as usual. The nugget did appear to be heavily glassed but at quite a cost to the responsiveness.

Comment

What did the guy say about your sweet potato?
                        "Where can I buy one"?

Comment

He was pretty quiet as he had been raving about this nugget, which I handed back to him then proceed to wipe my hands clean I felt soiled by the experience.

Comment

ben,

I'm 5'8, 165 lbs and live in new smyrna beach florida. i think the 5'3 BP is probably a bit big for you, especially if your HPSB is in the range of a 5'10 ALT. i have a 5'2 SP and it feels like a SUP to me on some days. also, since getting a 5'4 Potatonator, i almost never ride the SP anymore because I can surf almost every day on the 5'4 PN, from shin high to head high. if you're considering the PN, I highly recommend it, I've got 6 boards in my quiver right now and I surf the PN >90% of the time here in florida, it maintains a high performance feel even on really small days. can't say enough good things about the potatonator, makes all those 1-2 ft days feel like good waves. but if you are set on the bake potato, I'd go for the 5'1 if I were you, it will float you much better than you think. i tell people who ask about the SP or the PN to get one 2 inches smaller than they think they should.

Comment

Hi Tre, whats your step up board at the moment?

Comment

Working...
                              X