Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato in shorter length

Hi all,

I am interest in the Baked Potato surfboard. I wanted a go to board for traveling that is very small and versatile.

I am 5'10", 140 lb and according the the Volume Calculator, i should be getting a board of 22 - 24 ltrs. However, even on the smallest board, the volume is 29 ltrs. I like to ask if the company will be making smaller Baked Potatoes any time soon? Also, why are all Baked Potatoes a step up?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I would suggest you look at some of the smaller Sweet Potatoes. It is a similar board that goes great in smaller surf and would certainly fill your needs!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I would suggest you look at some of the smaller Sweet Potatoes. It is a similar board that goes great in smaller surf and would certainly fill your needs!!
      Thank you Chris. I am looking at the 4'8" Sweet Potato. I think it is the perfect size for my 1 board backpacking+ surfing trip. Looking forward!

Comment

yeah nice!!

Enjoy it!

Comment

Chris or anyone weighing between 165-180lbs ever try to ride the 5'1 Baked? Was it way too small? Not enough volume? Could not grovel well?

Im 170-75lbs right now and wondering if i can pull off a 5'1.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
            Chris or anyone weighing between 165-180lbs ever try to ride the 5'1 Baked? Was it way too small? Not enough volume? Could not grovel well?

Im 170-75lbs right now and wondering if i can pull off a 5'1.

ALOHA!!
            Don't know if it would help but I ride a 5'2" sweet potato with thicker wetsuits. Specially with the thick rubber sometimes I wonder how the 5'4" would go.
            But in general I'm pretty happy with the 5'2",great fun board to ride

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
              Don't know if it would help but I ride a 5'2" sweet potato with thicker wetsuits. Specially with the thick rubber sometimes I wonder how the 5'4" would go.
              But in general I'm pretty happy with the 5'2",great fun board to ride
              iggy, although there is only a one inch difference, the 5'1 Baked is at 29.3L and 5'2 Sweet is 32.2L. That's a 3L difference. I'm wondering if I could still grovel, catch waves, or float on it comfortably for that matter. haha.

I have the 5'4 Sweet. It's great for grovelling. However, I sometimes struggle burying my rail or duck diving waves head high+ haha.

ALOHA!!
              Last edited by hawaii_boi; 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Would probably work in warm punchy waves in Hawaii. I prefer the extra volume in the 502 for weaker stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                  Would probably work in warm punchy waves in Hawaii. I prefer the extra volume in the 502 for weaker stuff here.
                  I rode the 5'3 Baked a few times and it felt good (float me well) as compared to my 5'4 sweet, which feels like a boat now lol. I'm just wondering if I could go one more size down :) I want to demo a 5'1 but no shop has one available.

ALOHA!!

Comment

If the 5'3" felt good why not sticking to it?. I reckon you could get away with the 5'1" but you'll feel better on the 5'3", specially if you want it as a groveller

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                      If the 5'3" felt good why not sticking to it?. I reckon you could get away with the 5'1" but you'll feel better on the 5'3", specially if you want it as a groveller
                      @iggy, the volume felt good, but it also felt like I could go a little less. In the end I'll probably end up with a 5'3 to be safe. thanks for the input!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Anytime. Thank you for all the great posts so far!,,

Comment

hawaii, i can ride the 501, there is enough volume to do so, i just don't because i use it in small surf, the volume never hurts in those conditions and the extra length is more beneficial to me than the reduction volume from the 503 to the 501. But these are more personal preference decisions I have made...

Cheers

Comment

@Chris,
                            I was able to tryout the 5'1 Baked the other day in knee to chest high. The float is really good and I could paddle into waves easily. Hacks were easy to do. However, this was the first time riding a Firewire that I felt it was a little small. So, I'm probably gonna go with the 5'3.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                            X