Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indication that a board may be a tad bit too big?

So, luvin my BP, no probs.

But... just seems odd at times. I can't place my finger on it as I lack any real experience and solid surf knowledge but my 5'7" just seems kinda big at times.

I'm .. gulp, 150!

Yes yes I know, why a 5'7"? Well, I didn't like my SP@5'2" due to my 6'1" most legs build.

And the shop only had a BP@5'7".

So, while I'm super stoked, what exactly are the signs that one has too big a board?

My symptoms;
    - Not being able to react as fast as I normally do while in critical situations.
    - Miss some waves that I normally would have gotten on my Futura with a volume of 26.7. My BP comes in at 39.9.
    - I get washed off the board at times, kinda just slip right off as I paddle.

Any how, just seems odd to me. Still stoked though.

Brother that board is WAAAAAYY too big unless you are trying to ride 1 footers only on it. I am 41, 185 and have shoulder and back issues and ride a 5'5 BP and could easily ride a 5'3...However I just bought a 5'10 Potatonator when I should be riding the 5'8 but..I bought it to be a bit more "short board" feeling compared to the BP but with the same volume as the 5'5 BP ...if that makes sense?? So far that has worked well but I could probably still go down to the 5'8 to ride 1-2 footers but dont want the extra effort required...so..the 5'10 Oversized PN is my summer board to overcome some of the issues you raised above...works for me.

Comment

FW Fan,

Do you find that the BP and the Potatonator cross over a bunch? I was thinking of selling my sweet potato and just getting a potatonator. I don't have the money to keep both but the potatonator seems like it would cover everything from 1-3 foot no problem.

What do you think?

I am 6'3" 185 and was thinking of getting a 5'10", I ride a 5'6" SP.

To answer the original question in this post, yes the the board you got is too big as I will second FW Fan's comments.

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
        FW Fan,

Do you find that the BP and the Potatonator cross over a bunch? I was thinking of selling my sweet potato and just getting a potatonator. I don't have the money to keep both but the potatonator seems like it would cover everything from 1-3 foot no problem.

What do you think?

To answer the original question in this post, yes the the board you got is too big as I will second FW Fan's comments.

Brent
        Hey Brent, thats exactly what I did. I laid my BP over the top of the PN and essentially its the same board just the PN has a pulled nose, marginally narrower in the guts and slightly more pulled in tail. I actually find the PN paddles me better than the BP. I love the BP dont get me wrong but I am a FST Fan wanted to stay with the same tech. The BP as you probably know doesnt come in FST...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
          FW Fan,

What do you think?

Brent
          same problem i have.. don't know if i really want to go potatonator with a spud in my quiver.....dump spud?? idk

Comment

Working...
          X