X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bp / Sp / or PN

These boards look so fun. I'm stepping down from a 7'2" CI waterhog that I love and get around great on. But now I want a shorter board for small wave fun, but I don't want to give up the easy paddle that comes along with a longer board. This is because I'm a bit older and my paddling isn't that great to begin with. Which of these boards would you guys suggest as the easier one to paddle out and to catch waves with? and recommended size too would be greatly appreciated. I'm 5'6" and 160 lbs. Thanks!

Well, technically anything with a fat thumb tail will get you into waves easier.

However I like the BP very much and I feel its very versatile. I have taken it our on head high days and had a blast. My particular board is wayyy over sized for me but thats ok.

I am selling it BTW as I wish to down size.

Comment

How often and where do you usually surf?. What are the waves like most of the time?

Comment

From a 7'2" if you move to either the baked or the sweet it might be quite a downsize. To keep things in perspective I will feel inclined to go for the pnator. Have you checked the Dominator?

Comment

The waves very from mush point breaks to fast beach breaks, from weak to strong. The PN seems to get a lot of thumbs up here. Best thing is to test drive for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
            From a 7'2" if you move to either the baked or the sweet it might be quite a downsize. To keep things in perspective I will feel inclined to go for the pnator. Have you checked the Dominator?
            Hello Iggy,

I surf mostly the Orange County beach breaks, like Newport, Huntington, or Bolsa Chica, and I looked at the Dominator and that looks like more of a traditional short board unless I'm mistaken. So is the pnator the easiest of the three potatoes to get around on then? paddle wise? Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Hey donger,

The Sweet Potato and the Baked Potato are definitely easier to ride in small conditions. If you are looking to maintain volume, then the Potatonator is actually going to be the opposite direction that you want to go in.

I would encourage you to look at the baked and sweet in the range of the 506. This is going to be good for both catching waves and it will feel like a lot less board than what you currently have.

Keep in mind, the 506 range is a little bigger than what you actually need for your weight, but i think your surfing history and individual preferences warrant going with a little extra volume.

There are tons of demoes at Rip Curl San Clemente.

Comment

Thank you so much Chris, I think you addressed exactly what my concerns were. I'll try to find a demo somewhere, and probably get something in the 5'6" range as you suggest, with the extra volume for my weight. Do you now if the extra volume will stall the board though? I ask because I had a 6'0" Channel Island biscuit that I bought, and it turned out to be way too big and was really awkward to paddle as it seemed to really stall when I was paddling.

Comment

cheers donger, good luck finding that magic one.

Comment

The more I browse this forum, the more confused I get because there seem to be so many great options. One last question, I promise. Would the dominator be the better option than the baked potato then? If I'm looking for that step down board from my bigger hybrid funboard.

Comment

Well, the very best thing is to try em. They are all great options but not all great options for every one. I love the entire FW line for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                        Well, the very best thing is to try em. They are all great options but not all great options for every one. I love the entire FW line for sure.
                        Truth. I demoed a BP and then ended up buying a PN thinking it would be more versatile. Now I want a BP because I'm having a hard time in some of the really small stuff. But had I never tried the BP or the PN I would never know the difference. And you have to really put it through it's paces, not just 1 or 2 surfs. I've been on the PN for only a few weeks now and I already know which types of waves I'd be using the Baked for.

Comment

• Marklids
                          Marklids commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Is your PN a good groveler? How does it compare to BP?

mostly small to mid size beach breaks around here, I just want a board that paddles great and catches a ton of waves. I used the firewire volume calculator and it was putting me in the 50 to 60 litre volume?! thats got to be off right? again i'm 5'6" and 165 lbs.

Comment

Yeah, donger - that's off. Try it again... I'm 60 yr old, 190 lb, and 53 ltr is alot for me (but I like to paddle in early) :-)

Comment

I'm about your same size and at about a 33ltr board. You must have entered beginner with poor fitness I'm guessing. Based off that you'll probably want a longer railed board like the Potatonator or Dominator which will paddle a bit easier. If you have a chance to demo do it, it's the only way if you'll know if a board of 30-40ltrs will work for you or not.

Comment

Working...
                            X