X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another size question

Hey there, I am wondering about what size BP or SP to get. I am 5'8" 153lbs and surf mostly with a 5/3 and booties (adding some weight) in Nor Cal, I currently ride a 5'8" Dominator which seems to work well for me in most conditions, i'm a pretty Avg surfer, been surfing 20 yrs. I was thinking about a 5'3" BP, but is that too much board for me? What do ya think Chris?

Based on your Dom choice a 502 SP or 503 BP would fit, but you could easily go down a size in each.

Comment

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure now, its between 5'1" or 5'3" BP. I do want it for mushy small surf to head high, will the 5'1" be enough board in the smallest conditions with a 5/3 and booties? Decisions^2

Comment

yeah its a tough call and the answer may be a little elusive. in my opinion its a personal call. Go bigger for smaller waves, go smaller for max performance. Its kind of that simple. I know in Maine on EC of the US i like the 505 Baked potato, but in CA the 503 is perfect. the final choice kind of takes into consideration a wide range of factors.

Cheers

Comment

im 5,8 and a little bit heavier than you @ 75Kg surfing 20+ years, average to higher end of average, only in 3/2 at moment but 5/3 with booties in winter.

I just got a 5,3 baked potato and volume/size is perfect, for me i think the 5,1 would be to low in volume for me and defy the point of being a grovel board and a 5,5 would be possibly better for grovel factor but not performance.

Comment

I ordered the 5'3", hope I made the right choice. Should be getting it on tues, can't wait to try it. Maybe I should have ordered a 5'1"........................

Comment

you'll be good jdoggy!!

Comment

@jdoggy, how is the 5'3 baked potato??

ALOHA!!

Comment

Hey HI_boi, yea its really fun. I have ridden it from small to a little overhead, it works well for me. the board is super fast, loose and catches waves. Like everyone says, feet have to be in the right position, my back foot couldn't go any further back. Thats why you can ride these things so short, w/ the back foot all the way back, you essentially have zero tail extending past your foot. Then with no rocker, the nose is pulled back as much as possible, = super short board. I probably should have gotten a 5'1", I'm still second guessing myself and considering selling it to buy one. The 5'3" works good but has so much volume, I think I could have more fun on a 5'1". But prob just keep 5'3", too much hassle to sell and buy a new one (unless anyone wants to buy a 5'3" in Santa Cruz).

Have Fun

Comment

jdoggy,
                    I tried my friends 5'3 baked and it was so much more fun than my 5'4 sweet. I would buy it but im in Hawaii damn! I thought about the 5'1 too when I saw it, but I'm worried about the grovel ability. My 5'4 sweet is 35L and the 5'3 baked is 32L...unless I drop like 10 more pounds then definitely the 5'1 haha.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Nice, my 5'9 baked is arriving this week...

Comment

@Chris- ur BP is of different standards as i see ur using the TGBP. the subtle brags r the best. lol

Comment

Ends up I'm going to try to sell it and buy a 5'1". Any takers?

Comment

Sold the 503 and bought a 501. Cost me $$ but totally worth it. Don't make the same mistake as me, go smaller! If your 155lbs get the 501.

Comment

Yeah the potato family was designed to be ridden small. Me I made the same mistake with my sweet potato and went from the 5'6" to the 5'2"

Comment

Working...
                              X