Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked or sweet potato size? 5'0 or 5'2

Hey,
    I am about to buy a baked potato, unless it falls through in which I'll likely buy a sweet potato, or maybe I'll wait till more come in? Dunno. Anyway, I will buy the RF model. I was sold on the 5'3 baked potato or 5'2 sweet potato though now I'm confused. I normal ride a 5'10 dominator, I'm 72 kg and about 5'11 (175cm). I have looked on the website at the volume calculator however, I think I may be in middle. I'm pretty fit, athletic build, 30 yrs old and been surfing for around 10yrs. Really trying to nail snappy turns and more moves like that than lateral surfing. I'd appreciate any info from anybody.
    Many thanks.

Hey Pete!!, 85Kgs here, 165cms and ride a sweet potato 5'2" with absolutely no problem. For what you are describing I believe you'll like the baked better in the sense of snappiness. Although I have to trell you on the smaller range the weet is pretty snappy, just a matter of putting the right shoes if you know waht I mean. Running mine on a set of Elevons and very happy with it

Comment

Hey Iggy, Yeah I have checked out your responses for a number of people, had a feeling you'd be the one to respond, thanks for that. I have had a good think about it, just don't want to make wrong choice. Yeah I am hoping to get the Baked, though there is only one left all up the East coast of Australia, so I have my name on it, but if it falls through I am not sure I want to wait til mid-end Jan 2013! So in you opinion the Baked at 5'3 would be most suited, second choice the Sweet at 5'2? I just look at so many vids and everyone is on 5'0's. You can see in the vid that the bigger ones would be harder to snap around. In terms on volume it is a little under the Dom 5'10. I know I could got the 5'8 in the Dom and if money were not an issue, it would be cool to try. Just want to make sure I wouldn't be buying a canoe. Want to progress, not regress!

Comment

Yeah Pete.I owned a 5'6" and sold it cause I found it oversized big time. Went down to the 5'2" and could not be happier. To tell you the truth before getting the 5'6" I was going to order the 5'2" but I was afraid of the shortening in length. But it just take a couple of rides to get used to it.
        I would definitely go for the potato as a backup plan on the 5'2". THat little thing is a speed machine and soooo maneuverable. And the best of it is that is so short that it fits on every pocket, Going over sections is just effortless and the board goes all over the place. Key thing here is the fin selection, in m case I ride futures and found that the ELEVONS, although pricey, are taylor made for this board.
        The 5'2" will have you with a big smile on small waves ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Pete.T View Post
          Hey,
          I am about to buy a baked potato, unless it falls through in which I'll likely buy a sweet potato, or maybe I'll wait till more come in? Dunno. Anyway, I will buy the RF model. I was sold on the 5'3 baked potato or 5'2 sweet potato though now I'm confused. I normal ride a 5'10 dominator, I'm 72 kg and about 5'11 (175cm). I have looked on the website at the volume calculator however, I think I may be in middle. I'm pretty fit, athletic build, 30 yrs old and been surfing for around 10yrs. Really trying to nail snappy turns and more moves like that than lateral surfing. I'd appreciate any info from anybody.
          Many thanks.
          Pete.T, if you really want the Baked Potato, I would recommend waiting for the FST model because it will be arriving Q1 2013. If not, Potatonator is another good one.
          I have a sweet potato and I tried the baked and potatonator...those are much more "snappier." If you can only buy one board I would recommend the 5'4 to 5'6 Potatonator because it is a potato and a dom :D

Comment

Id recommend either the SP or the BP in rapid fire, considerably lighter and easier to through around due to this Fact. Ive had both types, I find the FST more resistant to dings and dents and the extra weight is good in bigger surf but the Rapid Fire definitely lighter so suits small wave boards better I find.

Comment

Im tosing between a baked potato in 5'7 / 5'9 or a SP 5'8 - need to decide today so i can order for my XMAS present - I was thinking the BP as I could then dump the potatonator, as I dont like having too many board close to each other, you end up sitting out on the line up thinking crap I should have taken the Xxxxx
              Last edited by surferireland; 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Hey,
                Yeah cool, pretty much just confirmed my thoughts. Also spoke to the guy where I'll hopefully buy it from, he said the same thing really. He suggested v2f4 fins (futures) as I'm quite light in weight. Can't wait to try this little spud, 4days and counting! Yeaw.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                  Pete.T, if you really want the Baked Potato, I would recommend waiting for the FST model because it will be arriving Q1 2013.
                  Where did you get this info from?........word of mouth here and from my FW dealer is it may come out in FST, but it also may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete.T View Post
                    Hey,
                    Yeah cool, pretty much just confirmed my thoughts. Also spoke to the guy where I'll hopefully buy it from, he said the same thing really. He suggested v2f4 fins (futures) as I'm quite light in weight. Can't wait to try this little spud, 4days and counting! Yeaw.
                    Yewwwww. Let us know how it goes and give us some pics!!

Comment

I have also been told it is coming in FST in 4-6 months to Australia from someone in FW. I dont think its a big secret.

Comment

So, turns out they sold the board I was going to pick up on sat. Not sure what the go is there. I have contacted FireWire to enquire about which boards are left in stock and what they would recommend given my weight, height, etc. Without hinting I had ordered the 5'3, the guy suggested the 5'1 instead. I am hoping I can get one of these which is then not given to someone else before sat. I had a feeling this was going to happen. Hoping for the best. Will keep you posted.

Comment

So I have been able to now track down another 5'3 baked spud in the white rapid fire, however now I've had a bunch of people tell me the 5'1 and a bunch say the 5'3. Such a hard decision. My gut says 5'3 would be fun, but unfortunately it's through another dealer who won't budge on pricing as I'll need future fins as I only have fcs. This whole thing is becoming very difficult and more and more expensive each time something happens. My excitement has disappeared and I'm hating...............is there anyone who is 72 kg at 175cm, athletic and fit with a 5'1 or 5'3 baked spud? I really hope it's worth all this chasing up I've been doing.

Comment

Believe it'll be worthy!!!. The baked is like a more maneuverable sweet. I'm 165cms and 85Kgs and ride a sweet 5'2" without issues... and hitting 38 rather soon. Believe me the 5'3" will be maneuverable enough and soooo much fun. At 175cms the 5'1" will maybe be too short. Flotation wise the 5'1" will have you covered but...

Comment

Hey, sorry for very late update. I ended up getting the 5'3 in white RF. The board is awesome! I have surfed it everyday for the last 4 days, sometimes twice a day. The board is super skatey, like really really skatey. At first I thought it might be too loose, but I then got some good 2.5 / 3 ft waves and it went sick! Very easy to slide the tail out and holly molly is it quick. I don't find it any easier to paddle into waves as my other board (dominator 5'10) but I'm at a totally different break to where I normally surf so dunno. I've got random fins in there, not sure what they are. The store I bought the board from threw them in for me. They have the futures "f" on it as well as "lost" and some weird black shape on the front ones. Would be interesting to put in some fins similar to the stretches in for when it's super small for a little more drive and more speed. Overall, super happy with it and very glad I got the 5'3 and not the 5'1.

Comment

Working...
                              X