Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato compared to baked

Hi guys
    Need a bit of help. I am currently riding a 6ft SP it goes solo well in most sizes. I ride it from knee high up to head and a half and it seems to work well. The one limitation appears to be sliding out in bigger conditions. I was wondering how the 6ft 1 baked spud would compare. From what I am reading it appears the the BP is more refined and doesn't slide. Can anyone clarify the differences in the two boards please

The baked is a bit "higher" performant and more refined than the sweet. On the bigger conditions is normal that it slides due to its massive tail. For the bigger stuff you should go for something a bit different. If you want to continue on the higher volume side you could take a look at the Addvance or even the Potatonator

Comment

Hey Cisurfer the BP definitely does not slide as much as the SP, I find the BP at first seems to be a bit less user friendly than the SP however now having it for 2 months I love the board and now prefer it over the SP. The BP does not go with a controller fin set however I found by using controller rears with JC fronts its a perfect mix. I am 103 kgs and could have gone for the 5'9" even though I like the floatation of the 5'11".

Comment

Cisurfer, BP hands down better than SP but wait for the FST version Q1 2013 (hopefully...lol). The diamond tail and tapered rails makes it a lot more high performance than the SP. I slide out on hard bottom turns with SP, but with BP I could actually surf it like a shortboard.

Comment

The BP rocks, 5 fin box etc... I have down sized as the board has MASSIVE float, just MASSIVE.

If FCS, as a quad the MRTFX and G1000 all in PC work very well together.

I'll post a pic of the G1000 in PC as I can't seem to find em on line. I may even have the name wrong and I don't recall were I bought them from.

As a tri, I will try the MRTFX plus Deviant for giggles. However eye surgery is keepin me out of the water for a bit.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. I am still pondering. If I didnt have a SP I would definitly be aiming for the BP. I think I need to play with the fins a little more on my SP and go for something a bit more performancy to eliminate getting something similar with a few tweaks. I am now about 80 % sure that the Potato-nator should be next purchase for those chest high + days.

NN66 we are about the same weight I am 6ft 4 and looked at the 5ft 11 and the 6ft SP side by side in the shop. The waves we get here are 60% gutless and chest to shoulder high and the reste of the time can be good and overhead. I plumped for the 6ft thinking the 5ft 11 would be too short for my stance. I am intersted in your fin selection though. I have struggled to get a happy medium. I first tried the SP with Simon Anderson quads in and it felt too slidey in anything big and lacked drive. I then opted for MRTFX fins in the front boxes and a set of standard m5's in the back, This is what i am currently riding and its great but on the bigger days the board seems to be glued to the wave and can getting it up on rail can be sketchy. The attraction of the BP was the 5th fin a Knubster would fit nicely I think.

Will report back. Again thank you all
            Happy New Year
            CiSurfer! :)))
            Last edited by Cisurfer; 12-28-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Been surfing a 5 9 BP and its waaaaaaay better than my Sweet P. I would sell both my Potatonator and SP cause its got so much more control and just as much speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_bro View Post
                Been surfing a 5 9 BP and its waaaaaaay better than my Sweet P. I would sell both my Potatonator and SP cause its got so much more control and just as much speed.
                :( stop! I'm not reading this thread anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                  :( stop! I'm not reading this thread anymore...
                  jajajja

Comment

Working...
                  X