Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked on waves that favor long boards?

First id like to commend you guys on the forum..I've been reading posts for a while and the info in here has been a great resource for fin reviews and board set ups!
    I'm 185 42yrs above average fitness surfing Northeast at any sign of surf.
    When we we do get swell and favorable winds (these things rarely happen) Ive been surfing a 6'2" x 19 7/8 x 2 3/8 in beach break and it feels perfect (lively with right amount of float). I have a 6'4" Dom FST that I've loved and ridden for 2yrs...it went from my first shorter board to my go to when conditions are junk and that's 75% of the time. The Dom catches waves with ease but lately feels too thick and the turns a bit drawn out. I'd like to get something that grovels but will help me progress if possible. Does a BP catch waves as well as a Dom or is its advantage in the speed it can hold on softer waves? Will the BP turn sharper than Dom because of the diamond tail? If so should I go down in volume or will that leave me lacking in wave catching ability for a groveler? Thanks Much!

Hey Skulldog, I konw what you mean, we are on the same boat, everytime there is a swell hitting the NE coast we go to Ogunquit or NH.
    Now the potato family was designed to be ridden way shorter than your regular board. They pack lots f volume in very short length which allows them to be very fun in the smaller scale. Will it catch more waves than the dominator??, well both are good wave catching machines. For sure you will have to go shorter on the Baked . U'd be aiming at the 5'5" or the 5'7". Despite the increased area on the tail of the Baked, the reduced length makes it pretty snappy and fun on the smaller stuff and it fits everywhere on the wave

Comment

I think what you're describing is a smaller Dom/Spit or Activator. The Potatoes will be just as chunky as that Dominator.
      I'd look at one in the 6'0 range.

Comment

Small waves East Coast?, some chunk needed

Comment

Yeah, but if the board feels thick and the turns are a little drawn out I think thats a big part of it. Different fins would probably be a big help though.

Comment

Thought about that but the reduction in length is going give a spark . I experienced that when I went from the 5'6" potato to the 5'2"...two worlds apart. Already having a dominator I think the baked is going to give him a fresh approach to small gutless waves

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
              Thought about that but the reduction in length is going give a spark . I experienced that when I went from the 5'6" potato to the 5'2"...two worlds apart. Already having a dominator I think the baked is going to give him a fresh approach to small gutless waves
              Thanks for the feedback! I was already thinking if I bought a 5'7" BP (elevons quad) and liked it I would let go of my Dom 6'4" and buy a 6'0" Spit (with a tri fin maybe SA2s?). Hoping these two boards should have enough range to reduce overlap. Now I've to to figure a way to hide 2-boards from the better half. Thanks

Comment

Got a 5'9" BP in Boston I may be parting with soon if you're interested...

Comment

Originally posted by Skulldog View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback! I was already thinking if I bought a 5'7" BP (elevons quad) and liked it I would let go of my Dom 6'4" and buy a 6'0" Spit (with a tri fin maybe SA2s?). Hoping these two boards should have enough range to reduce overlap. Now I've to to figure a way to hide 2-boards from the better half. Thanks
                  jajaja just tell her you got a good deal and bought one and got the other one half price (which is not false since you'll be selling the dom). Elevons go insane on the sweet potato so they should go wqually well on the baked...pure speed!

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                    Got a 5'9" BP in Boston I may be parting with soon if you're interested...
                    Thanks it's tempting but Im thinking that's gonna be a tad big for me.

Comment

That 2" makes a huge diff in volume for sure. I was shocked.

Comment

Skulldog,

I am 180lbs and surf southeast United States. We usually get weak knee to chest short period wind swells. I have a 507 BP with Futures Elevons, and the board is unbelievable, seems to be a good size for me. Iíve only surfed it once in thigh to chest waves, and had an amazing session. The board was super-fast and easy to catch waves. It took me awhile to get us to the small size and feel, but once I got the hang of itÖ..it was game on.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Marklids
                          Marklids commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How long did it take to dial in? I'm torn between PN and BP thinking BP would have a larger learning curve because of the small size.

Originally posted by Chucktown.Surfer View Post
                        Skulldog,

I am 180lbs and surf southeast United States. We usually get weak knee to chest short period wind swells. I have a 507 BP with Futures Elevons, and the board is unbelievable, seems to be a good size for me. Iíve only surfed it once in thigh to chest waves, and had an amazing session. The board was super-fast and easy to catch waves. It took me awhile to get us to the small size and feel, but once I got the hang of itÖ..it was game on.

Hope this helps.
                        Thanks! I'm looking for a 5'7" right now !

Comment

Working...
                        X