X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubster in the Baked

Just curious how people have found surfing the BP as a quad with and without the Nubster. Is there a big increase in grip with the Nubster?
    I ask because I'm contemplating either getting a single FCS plug put in my Sweet Potato for the Nubster, or because of the difficulties due to the <1lb core, maybe just glassing one on...

Bad idea?

i personally don't like the knub in my small wave boards because the fins are typically so wide, that adding a knub in the middle tends to add some drag. Have you liked the knub in any of your other boards??

Comment

Yeah I really like it in the Spitfire to add a little grip to an upright quad set in the wide tail. I had no issues with it in the mini driver but at the same time didn't really feel any benefit because that board has so much hold anyway.
      It was a revelation in the spitfire though!

Comment

yeah if you like it, then it might make sense for you. The EPS is dense enough to rout out and glass in a box so as long as you are confident in the workmanship of the person doing the install (you or whoever), it should be fine.

Bear in mind, the potato has a nice defined spine in the middle so you would want to maintain care that the spine isn't compromised.

Comment

Yeah that's my worry. I'll post results if I end up doing it. I think a single old style FCS plug drilled in could be the least intrusive method. With a patch other the top to prevent any leaks.
          Or I sell the PT and get a 5 fin Baked...

Comment

yeah either one. could put an order in for a TBP??

Comment

Yeah but even the untrained eye would notice that it isn't the same board if I go Techno! Haha.
              How does the weight of a TG board compare to WRF out of interest?

Comment

comparable to a touch lighter.

Comment

TG potentially lighter? Wowsers. The other million dollar question, what's the score with dings? I'm guessing you'd have to use a patch of fibreglass and repair like a standard eps board?

Comment

I try the knubster on my PN 5,8.When waves are fat and slow with no power don't like it feel some drag and lose speed.If wave is steeper with power it feels totaly different you can do a full speed bottom turn with more control and hold go more vertical to the lip think like you have a thruster more performance board....

Cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Just curious how people have found surfing the BP as a quad with and without the Nubster. Is there a big increase in grip with the Nubster?
                      I ask because I'm contemplating either getting a single FCS plug put in my Sweet Potato for the Nubster, or because of the difficulties due to the <1lb core, maybe just glassing one on...

Bad idea?
                      PRJ you got me thinking,

Tried my 5ft 5 WRF BP with a knub and.....really didnít like it. Felt like it messed up the whole dynamics of the board Ė lost the sweet spot really (which is the whole of this little beauty!)

Hate to be the one to say it, but you should flog the SP and get a BP. I liked the SP but absolutely love the BP.

However, this was in small clean waves and only my opinion. I do tend to like the Firewire boards that none of my mates get on with. My favourite models appear to be making their way to the Firewire archive of doom!

Techno grain BP has to be a life changing board!!!

Cheers,

Comment

Yeah I'd like to get a Baked but for the conditions I use it in I feel like the Sweet Potato handles well enough and is insanely fun that it's hard to justify an 'upgrade'.
                        That said, I could possibly get a good price for my Potato and it wouldn't be expensive of a move. I wonder what the Technograins will retail at in the UK? Any idea?

Comment

Hi mate, we have not had official confirmation of that yet. We are assuming that they would be comparable to FST on price - but don’t hold me to that. Be good to see one in the flesh. Looks insane!

Cheers

Comment

They sure do. Looks like all board prices are creeping up over here this year.

Comment

Yeah a bit Firewire's do appear to be going up in a price at a far more realistic level than some other brands, that I will not mention.

But I still think top end tech priced at the same level (or slightly below) premier brand PU – wins hands down.

Comment

Working...
                              X