Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size issue and what does to much volume do? - Need Help

Hello,
    Again somebody that's looking for some personal feedback and advice on size and volume.
    I'm 6'7 (2.00m) and 210lbs (95kg), pushing 40, and surf in Holland. I'm thinking about a baked potato, but I'm not really sure what size.
    Holland is known for its gutless waves, mostly windchop. My surflevel is between beginner and intermediate.
    I surf once every two weeks on a 6'8 fish (7S, 43lit), and only have some troubling taking off during winter (thick wetsuit, cap, gloves, shoes add weight).
    The purpose of the BP should be: surf a shorter board with a more skate kind off feeling, increase wavecount and easier rail to rail transition.
    I'm not looking for a board that holds in big overhead waves, since I probably only have 10 good days a year in Holland.
    I'm thinking about 5'7 (39.9lit), 5'9 (43.6lit) or 5'11 (47.3lit).

What size do you think?
    Do you really notice 4 liters more or less?
    Will taking off on a shorter board with similar volume be more difficult?
    What does to much volume do to the mobility (rail to rail). Is the difference between 5'9 (thick 2 3/4) and 5'11 (thick 2 7/8) only looking at rail to rail transition that big?

Thanks , XL

5'9" or 5'11", but I'm tending toward the longer board as you're older, surf infrequently, are inexperienced and will be surfing gutless waves. Indeed, the longer board for sure.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Yeah at 6'7" a 5'11 is still a super short board!

Comment

Do you think it will be more difficult to push the 5'11 from rail to rail (because of its thickness)?

Comment

the big vee/double concave running down the board makes it pretty effortless to transition rail to rail. because of the higher volume you won't be smashing big turns in punchy waves but that's not what the board is for. the higher volume will keep it free on top of the water and keep you moving in smaller or gutless waves.

what thickness do you usually surf?

Comment

My 6'8 fish is 2 3/4 thick

Comment

I think the shorter length and bottom contours of the BP will override the extra 1/8" thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                I think the shorter length and bottom contours of the BP will override the extra 1/8" thickness.
                On the same train of thought here

Comment

Im 185cm 93kg Danish viking I ride a 5,7 baked potato and love it small waves, so doint go to big...

Comment

good stuff folks!!

Comment

Just wanted to let you guys know I bought a 5'11. Have had 4 sessions and it turned out great! Thanks for you those quick responses.

Comment

my friend is 6'4 slim build, but very good surfs the 5'8. i wud think a lil bigger wud do u good.

Comment

TJ-XXL, How is it to ride such a small board?

I'm a little taller than you and an bit heavier (2.05m and 103kg) surf the same waves as you (Holland) I'm thinking of a 6'1" but for me it's hard to imagine how it is to ride a board that small.
                          My current board is a Spitfire 6'6" which works fine.

Comment

great TJ. Thanks crew for helping out!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X