X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP v's SP for ease of surfing

I know a lightweight looking at one of these boards. I'm sure I have read on this formum that a SP is easier to surf but the shop assistant is telling him a BP is more user friendly for beginner to intermediate ability. Can someone confirm this please?

Also, he is only 60kgs but is looking at a 5'2 SP or 5'3 BP for ease of use. He has another 5'10 hybrid style board so will only be using the Firewire in smaller, fullish waves to compete with the longboards that seem to take over in conditions like this, but he is struggling with the dramatic drop in length. I would have thought slightly overvolumed would not be too much of a problem in smaller waves?

Thanks

Those boards imo are not for beginners..they aren't the best paddlers either..they do rip small waves though..they require then to be worked on the wave instead of just cruising down the line... High volume dominator have worked for some that I've turned on to firewire boards

Comment

I've ridden both I would say sweet is easier to ride as the baked is more performance based and is twitchy, but greattt fun and rips. They are good paddlers you just have to find the sweet spot for paddling

Comment

Addvance?

Comment

Hi Iggy,
          I think he would be a bit light for the smallest Addvance at 60kgs and 48litres.

K Dropin might be on the money with a 5'6 Dom or Spit which would be around 28litres. The Volume calculator puts him around 24litres which sounds about right. I'm just not sure if he is advanced enough to really drive these boards to get the required speed in small waves. When I look at the video of Timmy Reyes on a Spit, there is a lot going on and I feel he is generating most of the speed himself rather than the board. I have seem some you tube of people on SP's and while they are not TR, the board seems to have more natural speed rather than having to be worked. Is this an unreasonable observation?

Comment

Originally posted by STC67 View Post
            Hi Iggy,
            I think he would be a bit light for the smallest Addvance at 60kgs and 48litres.

K Dropin might be on the money with a 5'6 Dom or Spit which would be around 28litres. The Volume calculator puts him around 24litres which sounds about right. I'm just not sure if he is advanced enough to really drive these boards to get the required speed in small waves. When I look at the video of Timmy Reyes on a Spit, there is a lot going on and I feel he is generating most of the speed himself rather than the board. I have seem some you tube of people on SP's and while they are not TR, the board seems to have more natural speed rather than having to be worked. Is this an unreasonable observation?
            Yeah STC overlooked that factor, was thinking of the easy of use and the longboard paddle battle. Don't know if a dominator would actually be a fair competitor to a longboard but for sure is an easy to use board that will cover a wide array of con

Comment

Hi all.I'm 1.80 tall and 82 kilos.I have a 5'6 SP which I think is a little bit over volume.I want to sell it and buy BP.I'm not sure about the size.I'm thinking 5'3 or 5'5 or a Sp 5'4.I also have a 5'10 spitfire and a 6'2 alt which I think I will trade it because I surfed a MB 6'0 thick and I loved it.
              Any suggestions?

Comment

hey search, i think you might be a little over volumed with the 506, but it does depend a little bit on your ability and the waves you are riding the board in. If you were to downsize, i would say stick to the 502 Sweet Potato or the 503 Baked Potato so long as you are a competent surfer. The 504 would also work, but you certainly don't need all that volume to get things going...

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks chris....I will go with the 5'3 and let's hope I will not be undervolume this time...I m saying this because my spitfire is 33,5 litres and the 5'3 is 32,5.I will use the board in one to two foot mush.I consider my self as an indermediate.

Comment

Originally posted by search View Post
                    Thanks chris....I will go with the 5'3 and let's hope I will not be undervolume this time...I m saying this because my spitfire is 33,5 litres and the 5'3 is 32,5.I will use the board in one to two foot mush.I consider my self as an indermediate.
                    Id be going the 5'5 for sure. You want foam for small waves and if your spit is 33.5 a couple of extra litres for the smaller stuff is the way to go. 5'3 is not enough in my opinion.

Comment

One more question.Are the 32'5 litres of the baked potato going to grovel better than the 33'5 litres of spitfire because of the shape,width etc?

Comment

Are you on a 510 Spitfire? I find my 502 sweet potato has more get up and go on a wave than my old 510 Dominator and much more than my 508 Spitfire. Flat water paddling is slower though and wave catchability is similar. The design characteristics make the board excel once on the wave.
                        If you want more paddle power then sizing up wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          Are you on a 510 Spitfire? I find my 502 sweet potato has more get up and go on a wave than my old 510 Dominator and much more than my 508 Spitfire. Flat water paddling is slower though and wave catchability is similar. The design characteristics make the board excel once on the wave.
                          If you want more paddle power then sizing up wouldn't be a bad idea.
                          Agreed its an incredibly fast board on the wave but for its vol it paddles comparibly slow by Dom and ef are 3-4 litres less vol and I recon they paddle just a tad slower.

Comment

I agree with you guys...I have both spit 5'10 and a SP 5'6 and I know what you mean about the paddling.All I care is what happens once you catch tha wave...From what prjwebb and chris said I will go for the 5'3 baked...I just hope that it's not undervolume for one to two foot mush!!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X