X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megsy
    started a topic Deck Grip on Technograin Baked Potato?

Deck Grip on Technograin Baked Potato?

Hi fellow firewire'ians,

Picking up my 501 Technograin Baked Potato tomorrow & I'm wondering whether to put a tail pad on it or not?

The board looks so sick with the wood grain, it would almost be a crime to cover it but I don't want to damage the deck with my knee when I duck dive.

Apart from the aesthetic look, I'm wondering if the adhesive of the deck grip will damage the Paulownia deck?

• megsy
    replied
    Baked Potato with Versatraction deck grip.

Leave a comment:

• megsy
    commented on 's reply
    Hey @hooked, I haven't put wax on it for awhile now. It doesn't feel so weird anymore & it grips pretty well.

• hooked
    replied
    Bumping this up to get more opinions of the versa traction.

Anyone else use this clear grip instead of wax? How long does it take to get used to? Megsy, do you still wax over it or are you using it without wax?

Leave a comment:

• cuttlefish
    replied
    Megsy,
    It may take a little while to get used to the versa traction but I've used it on a few boards now so I've got no need for wax.
    The only negative is when the water's dirty with run off the traction can get a bit slippery as it's more sensitive to slime than wax.
    Best to avoid surfing in dirty water anyway.
    Looks much better than with wax aesthetically and no wax migrating around all over the board.

Leave a comment:

• ferchizzle
    replied
    Yes. As I was removing the decals pff the board, I used the corner of my fingernail to lift the sticker up and I took a tiny speck of wood with it.

Leave a comment:

• kdropin
    replied
    Originally posted by ferchizzle View Post
    prjwebb - I placed the traction pad right up against the leash plug and found my self slpwing down a little tp much when my foot would engage the kicker portion of the traction pad.

I want to ride the board without the pad (something should have done in the beginning) to figure out my foot position.

I am anxious about this because even though the TG construction is structually stronger, I have found the surface to be soft and susceptible to having small pieces of wood lift off if you are not careful. So, I want to be cautious about removing the pad.
    u find the surface of the techno to be soft?

Leave a comment:

• megsy
    replied
    ferchizzle, I removed the wax the same way as I normally do, apply a little heat via a hair dryer just to soften the wax, then scrap off with a wax comb.

Leave a comment:

• guigoon
    replied
    Do simple: you cut the back of the pad gently to the cutter so as to have a flat surface, and voila! You can put your foot where you want without having to take off the pad.

In the opposite case, if your pad is too far back, you added just before a small strip that you cut into a bath mat shower the same color as your pad. it works very well, it is simple, safe and cheap (but it will probably be a little ugly on your BP TG ...)
    Last edited by guigoon; 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Can't see that being an issue but whatever feels right for you!

Leave a comment:

• ferchizzle
    replied
    My kicker is about a half inch behind the rear quads.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    My kicker starts at the back edge of my rear quads so when my foot is against the kicker it's right over the fins.

Leave a comment:

• ferchizzle
    replied
    Prjwebb - I feel you. Will give it a few more sessions. Right now the kicker is behind the rear quad fins. Thinking it shooild be over the rear fins instead. Know what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    I'd recommend having your foot a little forwardoin the pad when working through a slower section and then you're still able to jam it back against the kicker when a steep section presents its self.

Leave a comment:

• ferchizzle
    replied
    prjwebb - I placed the traction pad right up against the leash plug and found my self slpwing down a little tp much when my foot would engage the kicker portion of the traction pad.

I want to ride the board without the pad (something should have done in the beginning) to figure out my foot position.

I am anxious about this because even though the TG construction is structually stronger, I have found the surface to be soft and susceptible to having small pieces of wood lift off if you are not careful. So, I want to be cautious about removing the pad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X