Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 501 Baked Potato Technograin is one sweet ride!

Hi guys,

Just a report on the performance of my new 5'1" Baked Potato Technograin.

Surfed it in 2-2.5ft waves, slightly onshore winds in the morning. Had FCS K2.1 quads set up. This board flies!

It paddles as good as the sweet potato but definitely has better response in the critical part of the wave by holding it's rail line in the face of the wave (not sliding out like the SP does).

Later in the afternoon, I surfed it in 2.5-3ft waves, light offshore winds. Added the FCS knubster to the quad set up to give me a bit more control through the tail. The boards rail to rail transition is so smooth. I was surprised at how hard you can drive off the bottom of the wave. It performs round house cutbacks like a breeze without losing any speed & no problems putting it up late into the lip of the wave.

The board is surprising light. I think it is lighter than the 5'0" sweet potato I once owned.

The board turns plenty of heads out in the line up (& on the land), mainly due to how amazing it looks with the Paulownia deck skin.

I know i'm going to have some great & memorable sessions on this board....Firewire, two thumbs-up!!!

man i want one

Comment

Hey Megsy...where did you buy yours from? PM me if you prefer. Also how does it feel in terms of durability? As for weight...lighter than your SP? What type of SP did you have ? RF or FST? Thanks.

Comment

Megsy, could you help me out with choosing a right size TGBP?? por favor, i am 6'4 170lbs and i stuck between deciding 5.1 or 5.3??? im a good average surfer, but ive never been on a board so short before! im reading that the shorter the better, but im not completely sure how i feel about that due to lack of experience~~ im currently in ecuador, riding nice sized waves on my f1stub mayhem 6.1x18.75x2.32, and when i head back to the states i want something that i can have fun on the small east coast swells?? any suggestions??? also do you know if the techograins come with futures?? gracias familia, God Bless :)

Comment

Hey FW-Fan, I ordered mine from the lads at the Rip Curl Store Narrabeen. It feels strong & durable, not afraid to hit some close outs, that's for sure. Yeah, my 5'0" SP was in RF.
          Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
          Hey Megsy...where did you buy yours from? PM me if you prefer. Also how does it feel in terms of durability? As for weight...lighter than your SP? What type of SP did you have ? RF or FST? Thanks.

Comment

Hey gringogrom23, I'd say the 5'3" BPTG would be your size but just to be certain, try using the volume calculator on the firewire website. It should give you a good idea of the volume that best suits your stats. In regards to the shortness of these boards, yes it does take a bit for the brain to comprehend that something this short can still be a good board (in the right conditions of course). It will take a few surfs to get used too, but once you get a wave with you feet in the sweet spot, man, you'll have the biggest grin on your face & everyone out in the line-up will be super envious...hahaha!
            So go ahead & take the plunge, you won't regret it.
            I certainly haven't!
            Originally posted by gringogrom23 View Post
            Megsy, could you help me out with choosing a right size TGBP?? por favor, i am 6'4 170lbs and i stuck between deciding 5.1 or 5.3??? im a good average surfer, but ive never been on a board so short before! im reading that the shorter the better, but im not completely sure how i feel about that due to lack of experience~~ im currently in ecuador, riding nice sized waves on my f1stub mayhem 6.1x18.75x2.32, and when i head back to the states i want something that i can have fun on the small east coast swells?? any suggestions??? also do you know if the techograins come with futures?? gracias familia, God Bless :)

Comment

Originally posted by gringogrom23 View Post
              Because of your height you might want to consider a different board like the Potatonator. The volume is not as drastic as the BP when increasing size of board but will still allow you to grovel waves. BUT if you are set on the BP, maybe a 5'5 to 5'7.

ALOHA!!
              Last edited by hawaii_boi; 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Megsy is Technograin more expensive than RF I have my 5'11" BP on evil bay after riding my mates 5"9" BP on Sunday at Garie so I after a 5'9" however FW Australia has the BP in RF on back order maybe the Technograin could be the way to go if I can get one.

Comment

Hey all, checked out the baked/spit technograin today, all i can say is if you have not seen one in the flesh get out from behind the screen and go check one out, they look so sick and i cannot believe how light they are, they almost feel hollow, cannot wait to ride one, if they are as durable a fst, these things are gunna be epic.

suncoast

Comment

Are the Technograins special order only?

Comment

Suncoastslop where did you see it and are they priced more than RF, in need of a new 5'9" BP.

Comment

Pretty sure pricing is the same as FST.

Comment

nn66, RRP$920 for TG, same price as FST.

Comment

Megsy ....any thoughts about the durability? How does the deck look after a couple of surfs now?

Comment

nn66 local shop had em, but i seen them in a few stores on the coast, same price as fst

suncoast

Comment

Working...
                              X