Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
BP/Sp Sizing for us bigger lads: 6'5" (195cm) 230lbs (104kg) with 5mm wetsuit. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP/Sp Sizing for us bigger lads: 6'5" (195cm) 230lbs (104kg) with 5mm wetsuit.

Hello all.

I am looking at buying a fun board for the smaller days. I have only ridden a thruster around 6'4" to 6'6". I consider myself intermediate/advanced and I am 6'5" tall (195cm) and 220lbs (230lbs with a 5mm wetsuit gloves and boots) (104kg) pretty good shape at 40years old.

I am considering the Sweet Potato or Baked Potato but leaning towards the Baked Potato as it seems a little more refined.

Using the volume calculator I should be around 44L ( I am riding a 36L short board)

Sizes I am looking at are:

Baked Potato:

5'9" x 22-3/8" x 2-3/4" (43.6L)
    5'11" x 22-5/8" x 2-7/8" (47.3L)

Sweet Potato:

5'8" x 22-1/4" x 2-3/4" (43L)
    5'10" x 22-1/2" x 2-7/8" (46.8L)

Currently my local shop can get me a 5'10" SP at 46.8L but I am wondering if it is going to be too big. Almost every review I read they say they could likely have gone smaller.

I am wondering if the 5'9" Baked Potato will be ideal for me.

I'd say 5'9" would be perfect in the Baked if you want the extra volume otherwise you could go the 5'7" at 39.9L which is still more than your shortboard you def do not want it to feel boaty. 5'5" would be right on your 36L depends what your waves are like if they have a bit of push or are soft mush

Comment

My thought process was to go a little more volume for small mushy waves that I otherwise would/could not surf. I will have a step down board for some smaller punchier surf as well.

Fin wise I don't know much really other than what I am reading in these threads. I am looking for a set for my short board and SP/BP. I'd like to be able to mix and match to get different rides and experiment a little. Here is what I am thinking. (All Future Fins)

Choice 1

AM2 5 Fin set and Future Controllers( keep reading good things about the controllers on this forum).

or

Choice 2

Jordy Smith Tri Fin set with Future Controller

Obviously the Five Fin set gives me a few more options. Any other suggestions? One thread mentioned using the Robber up front but could I use the AM2's or Jordy's as rears or I would have to get another set for rears.

Comment

My thought process was to go a little more volume for small mushy waves that I otherwise would/could not surf. I will have a step down board for some smaller punchier surf as well.

Fin wise I don't know much really other than what I am reading in these threads. I am looking for a set for my short board and SP/BP. I'd like to be able to mix and match to get different rides and experiment a little. Here is what I am thinking. (All Future Fins)

Choice 1

AM2 5 Fin set and Future Controllers( keep reading good things about the controllers on this forum).

or

Choice 2

Jordy Smith Tri Fin set with Future Controller

Obviously the Five Fin set gives me a few more options. Any other suggestions? One thread mentioned using the Robber up front but could I use the AM2's or Jordy's as rears or I would have to get another set for rears. (Edit: The AM2 5 fin set will have rears but was wondering if the fronts would work as rears with the Robbers as well - sort of depends on relative size I'm sure)
        Last edited by vanisland; 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Depending how you find your paddling on 36L I would think 5'7' is giving you 4L extra volume for added paddle power. Just my humble opinion but 5'9" is packing alot of extra volume foran Int/Adv surfer. Controllers go well and I would think the AM2 set would be good although I havn't tried them myself

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Yeah I'm there with 50young, at your level.
              As far as fin goes for the baked the Elevons go really nice...if you can get to try those please do,they are expensive but... The controllers you can't go wrong with them. The Jordy's give lots of speed and drive.

Comment

Iggy. While I was researching the SP/BP I found some videos on youtube including one of a guy surfing a potatonator on the St Lawrence River. That You?

Comment

Originally posted by 50young View Post
                  Depending how you find your paddling on 36L I would think 5'7' is giving you 4L extra volume for added paddle power. Just my humble opinion but 5'9" is packing alot of extra volume foran Int/Adv surfer. Controllers go well and I would think the AM2 set would be good although I havn't tried them myself
                  My short board at 36L is probably under volume but I do have long arms!

Comment

I guess it is always up to personal perference, is 36L way under volume or just? Do you catch all waves you go for on 36L? Can you demo a baked ?

Comment

Probably just under volume.

I believe I will order the 5'7" BP. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by vanisland View Post
                        Iggy. While I was researching the SP/BP I found some videos on youtube including one of a guy surfing a potatonator on the St Lawrence River. That You?
                        Most ptobably, that's our little wave uphere

Comment

@vanisland,
                          Based on weight, a 5'7' Baked would be perfect, BUT because you are 6'5", you may need to go one size up.

As far as fins, I've tried following setups in mostly knee to chest high hawaiian waves:
                          - Solus front + controller rear: felt like I was dragging; i really have to pump a lot and ride high to get any kind of speed going
                          - Controller Quad: super fast! However, turns are more drawn out, and snaps are tricky to do because of the area and rake the front fins have. Roundhouses are great though!
                          - PSH Controller Quad: fast and more progressive; allowed me surf my Sweet and Baked like a shortboard
                          - Rusty R1 5 Fin (did not use center): too loose probably because of the rear fins being short
                          - EA Techflex + Q400 rear: fast and maneuverable; i use these on more pitchy waves and steep faces so i can throw tail haha!
                          - Jordy Fronts + Q400 rear: my current favorite setup. Just as fast as Controllers but more maneuverable and proggressive.

I'm currently looking for a honeycomb rear fin to match my Jordys. That new Simon Anderson 5 fin set rears might be a good match. Btw, you should get the latest catalog from Futures from your local surf shop, it shows some new fins coming out end of March. Website is not updated yet.

ALOHA!!
                          Last edited by hawaii_boi; 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I said earlier I would go with the 5'7" baked but I ended up ordering the 5'9" baked (43.6L) because of my height and I don't mind the added foam. I am glad I changed form the 5'10" Sweet (46.8L) that the shop owner had sold me on so thanks everyone for your input.

I am really looking forward to trying a different board and experimenting with fins. There are so many to choose. I wish it was Christmas.

I went with the AM2 five fin over the Jordy's as they seem very similar in size and I liked the idea of the extra fins to play around with. I have ordered the controllers as well. (Do you need a shim with the controller rears? I thought I read that somewhere.)

Hopefully between the AM2's and the Controllers will give me some different options and feels to try for now.

The PSH conrollers sound interesting. Could not see them in my older 2012 catalog so looked them up. Sounds like they are Pancho Sullivan fronts and controller rears.

Comment

Originally posted by vanisland View Post
                              I said earlier I would go with the 5'7" baked but I ended up ordering the 5'9" baked (43.6L) because of my height and I don't mind the added foam. I am glad I changed form the 5'10" Sweet (46.8L) that the shop owner had sold me on so thanks everyone for your input.

I am really looking forward to trying a different board and experimenting with fins. There are so many to choose. I wish it was Christmas.

I went with the AM2 five fin over the Jordy's as they seem very similar in size and I liked the idea of the extra fins to play around with. I have ordered the controllers as well. (Do you need a shim with the controller rears? I thought I read that somewhere.)

Hopefully between the AM2's and the Controllers will give me some different options and feels to try for now.

The PSH conrollers sound interesting. Could not see them in my older 2012 catalog so looked them up. Sounds like they are Pancho Sullivan fronts and controller rears.
                              Vanis..the BP is not a board you want to under fin. The AM 2 are big but the tip is narrow so they release easier. A big guy like you will over power those fins more than likely. The Simons because of the bigger tip and bigger rear fins would be minimum for you. I have a set and love them on that board. I also have just order a set of the Stretch Control Freaks..they will arrive this week. They are like the Controllers (which I have but remain unconvinced as of yet) but apparently surf more freely than than the Controllers. If the AM2's work for you..great, but if not, sell them and get the Simons...I dont think you will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X