X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Chris Cary - How To Remove Traction Pad From A TG BP

Chris (or anyone who knows what to do) - What is the safest way to remove a traction pad from my TG BP? Put one on a few days ago and realized I set it too far back for my liking after a session.

you need to relax about the whole tail pad thing buddy...you'll give yourself a heart attack , lol.

Comment

FW - Fan you are right LOL my OCD has taken over

Comment

FE fan - I am anxious about this because even though the TG construction is structually stronger, I have found the surface to be soft and susceptible to having small pieces of wood lift off if you are not careful. So, I want to be cautious about removing the pad.

Comment

Yeah. Thats a worry to hear that. I thought the 2 coats of bio resin would stop that kind of thing. Would be a bummer to lift up your tail pad and see the blank !!!!

Comment

That's why I am freaking out, I guess. Hope Chris or someone at Firewire can provide us with some guidance.

Comment

Maybe shoot Chris an email?

Comment

Depending on what Chris has to say I would suggest only partial removal of the pad. That is, buy a new tail block and trim the tail pad down to accommodate the new block. By tail block I mean similar to this http://www.sds.com.au/product/tail-b...isure-in-black they come smaller than this with just the kick block. Usually the tail block is easy to lift because you can get some purchase on it, it should be easy enough to then get a scraper under it or even a GEM single sided razor blade - be very slow and careful.

Once you have removed the trimmed part then you will need to remove the residue - I've used mineral turpentine it helps soften the adhesive residue so you can roll it up and off. That is on a tuflite board, check with Chris that turps won't damage the finish.

Comment

i'm curious to see how it turns out.. hearing that the finish is soft is discouraging... if true

Comment

Great advice prjwebb. Sent an email to Chris not expecting to hear back from him until Monday. But he replied right back.

He advised me to use a blowdryer to heat up the glue on the traction pad and it worked with an iota of wood lifting off which is due to me not applying enough heat. Then using a citrus based wax remover to sok the glue for removal.

Kudos to Chris and Firewire for the commendable followup and advice!
                    Will have a mush report once I get a few more rides in on this board.

But, in the meantime, the surface of the TG boards are softer and prone to minor indentation marks if you apply to much pressure with a wax comb. But, that had not bearing on the structural integrity or build quality of the board.

Comment

And for wax removal, I would highly recommend using a plastic wax scraper lightly then The Pickle to remove the bulk of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ferchizzle View Post
                        Great advice prjwebb. Sent an email to Chris not expecting to hear back from him until Monday. But he replied right back.

He advised me to use a blowdryer to heat up the glue on the traction pad and it worked with an iota of wood lifting off which is due to me not applying enough heat. Then using a citrus based wax remover to sok the glue for removal.

Kudos to Chris and Firewire for the commendable followup and advice!
                        Will have a mush report once I get a few more rides in on this board.

But, in the meantime, the surface of the TG boards are softer and prone to minor indentation marks if you apply to much pressure with a wax comb. But, that had not bearing on the structural integrity or build quality of the board.
                        so this board will develop footwells like rapidfire?? softer construction then fst??

Comment

I have never had FST so I could not tell you.

Comment

Working...
                          X