Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Advice on sizing for my first shortboard, after learning on an 8"2" funboard Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on sizing for my first shortboard, after learning on an 8"2" funboard

Hello, Ive been surfing for about a year now and i currently ride an 8'2" funboard. I live in Charleston, South Carolina and surf mostly mushy/sloppy 1-4 foot waves. I enjoy riding my funboard and i can easily catch waves, trim, turn, and get down the line with it, but I'm looking for a board that i can really progress with. Because of the waves i surf and my skill level, Ive been leaning towards getting a TGBP, because it has lots of volume to help me catch the weaker waves i surf, yet is shorter and would be much more maneuverable than my 8'2". I weigh between 175-185 just depending on the week, and I'm 5'11" tall. I'm 17 years old going on 18 in july, and I'm in average to good shape. Any suggestions on what size I should get, or if there is another board you would suggest?

THANKS A TON!

its all trial and error. wether hybrid, potato, or hpsb won't matter. u really just gotta demo or buy until u find what suits ur style best. being pretty young tho, u can probably get away w less volume w a 5'5 or 5'7 BP or even a 6'0 Dom. ive said before that I've never ridden a Dom, but many boards similar and thats seems like a really good starting point for anyone especially if he or she is downsizing

Comment

@bmiller, the 5'5 or 5'7(max) that fokaiHI recommends should be good for the surf you are describing.

Another board to check out would be the Potatonator, 5'8 or a 5'10. It's the potato and the dominator mashed into one. I personally like the potatonator over the dominator because it has the volume like the potato but maneuverability like the dominator.

Good luck!

ALOHA!!
      Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

So would I be unhappy with a 5'11" or 6'1" Baked Potato? Im leaning toward a larger size because i could definitely use the extra volume to help with paddling.

Comment

Originally posted by bmiller View Post
          So would I be unhappy with a 5'11" or 6'1" Baked Potato? Im leaning toward a larger size because i could definitely use the extra volume to help with paddling.
          They would be way too much volume I agree with Hawaii in both the Baked and Potatonator

Comment

Bmiller I am 5'11"and weigh around 180-190 however i am 55 years old not long back in the water and ride a 5'9'' I went the extra volume for surfing soft waves but wish I bought a 5'7" as the board floats on top of the waves and i find it hard to set a rail if the wave has any sort of steep face the thing every one keeps saying about firewire boards is don't buy them too big or you will be replacing it in a couple of months I know i've done it.Baked potato's are not hard to paddle unless there too big when they will tend to bobble round under you

Comment

Agreed with Foka here, the baked potato is a tricky design. Addvance 6'6" or a Dominator 6'0" would be the boards I would recommend for this case. Both very user friendly boards and pretty versatile

Comment

i think what happens is that w the DOM/ ADD is that those tails allow u to draw lines while being able to bury the tail vs BP/ SP which is much more tricky w a lot of volume where as ur able to slide the tail rather than bury it. which in turn is why narrow tails r preferred on steep hollow waves vs slopey fat waves

Comment

well to be completely honest, I havent even buried a rail yet in a turn, I've only ridden an 8'2". I'm just looking for something to learn to actually surf the wave with rather than just float down the line like I have been, This board will literally be my first shortboard. So for my very first shortboard, that I will surf daily in Charleston, SC with their small mushy sloppy waves, would a Baked Potato be a solid choice or should i go with a shortboard more traditionally shaped such as a Dominator, Potatonator, ect.

Comment

well to be completely honest, I havent even buried a rail yet in a turn, I've only ridden an 8'2". I'm just looking for something to learn to actually surf the wave with rather than just float down the line like I have been, This board will literally be my first shortboard. So for my very first shortboard, that I will surf daily in Charleston, SC with their small mushy sloppy waves, would a Baked Potato be a solid choice or should i go with a shortboard more traditionally shaped such as a Dominator, Potatonator, ect.
                    Yeah stick to the dominator. You'll have to go really short on the potatoes to match adequate volume and that coming straight from the board you are coming,will require quite some adjustment. Besides the Dominator is a board you will want to keep in years to come

Comment

yeah i agree its a smart move to go with an in between board when stepping down from a long board for the first time, as the potatoes are a dramatic drop in length.

the Dominator is likely the best all arounder for someone looking to get into shortboarding, but you could also consider the shorter length addvances too.

Cheers

Comment

@bmiller, I too came down from a longboard (9'0 In The Pink tuflite). I first tried a 5'10 FST Dom...it paddled well but I struggled a little trying to balance when idle and on take off. Then, I tried a 5'6 RF sweet potato and it felt like laying on my longboard; very stable and paddled well. I was able to catch a lot of waves and stand with ease.

After trying both boards, I decided to go with a 5'4 Sweet. People thought I was crazy or very ambitious to go from a 9'0 longboard to a 5'4 firewire. I can catch waves almost as easily as my longboard. Best decision I've made in a long time.

Anyways, if you are still undecided, I would recommend demoing both boards. i still recommend Potato or Potatonator though :)

ALOHA!!
                        Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X