Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help popping up on a 5' 5" ?

Hello

I am in my mid 40's and about 170#;
    I've surfed short boards in my teens and twenties (Caribbean and Florida) for about 12 years, then took a hiatus of about 15 year (moved up north) and about a year ago I got back into it, restarted surfing with long boards (and wetsuits in the cold north east)

While on Costa Rica this past winter I surfed my friends sweet potato in (5' 4" rf) and after 2 rides I was convinced to come back to the short boards; They remind me of carving with skateboards... and the good old times;

So I bought a 5' 5" baked, and I've been out twice with it (with the thick rubber on) but I am struggling popping up with it.
    I do catch the wave but it takes me too long to come up, I find myself on one or both knees a lot, and if I hurry it more, I come up off center and everything goes hey wire.
    I was not having this issues with the 5' 4" (without a wetsuit) and I was taking off really late in costa rica.

I then switched to a long board for a couple of hours and was popping up easily and with no issues.

What gives?

I do realize on a long board I probably use by toes while on the short board knees are on the tail....

Any suggestions? I have been practicing on dry land on a 5' 5" rubber matt just to be sure I have the movement (from the knees) learned.
    Last edited by tevtev; 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM. Reason: would not let me post because I had the words "On a trip"???

There is lots of foam and surface area on the potato, which allows you to paddle a bit further up on the board. What do you mean by having probelms?. Nose diving?,too back on it while popping up?. Maybe you were tryinig the board on really small conditions?, trying to stand up on the flats?
    It happens often when you are wearing wetsuits that all hat rubber gets in the middle, if wearing booties those get stuck in the wax while dragging the front foot specially if they are not flat tipped (own experience)

Comment

for me, getting up is just feel. i like to be standing before i take the drop. i wud say to try and get in early, once the board feels as if ur on, stable ur hands on the rails, lift shoulders, and then pop up. u dont always have to do it in one motion unless the waves dictate so.

i was also told by a big wave surfer that when making the drop to look at ur feet when getting up. i've done it when waves get some size, and it works.

Comment

sounds like your trying initiate the get up with feet or knees on tail... when you do the push up, try and swing your body through with legs clear of the board.. no initial bump up off your tail... how are your abs?? also hows your flexibilty.. especially hip/core freedom (this is most affected in pop ups by tight quads/psoas, quadratus lumborum, lower lats and others... but keep everything loose... i do lots of reverse crunches with those stretches and my body mechanics come good... THAT WORKS FOR ME.. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR CERTIFIED TRAINER BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING... i cant use them with my back but if your cleared to use them then hang your feet in straps just off the ground get in a push up/plank position with your back straight/core drawn in and tight, then "swing" through to your approximate standing position initiating the movement with your core, keeping it drawn in and tight...then return with control...do it "switchfoot" too

having preached all this, i dont do nearly enough myself and am often seen stumbling to my feet like a diseased penguin..!!

happy feet dave
        Last edited by core personal training; 05-12-2013, 03:19 AM. Reason: kant spel goode

Comment

okay. that settles it. I'm buying the Insanity dvd. i want an impersonal trainer that walks thru 1/2 the workout while telling me he's coin it at the same time. lol

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
            There is lots of foam and surface area on the potato, which allows you to paddle a bit further up on the board. What do you mean by having probelms?. Nose diving?,too back on it while popping up?. Maybe you were tryinig the board on really small conditions?, trying to stand up on the flats?
            It happens often when you are wearing wetsuits that all hat rubber gets in the middle, if wearing booties those get stuck in the wax while dragging the front foot specially if they are not flat tipped (own experience)

Thanks for helping

Problem is taking too long to pop up because I find my self struggling to bring the front foot into position quick enough (end up too long on a knee or both...); I did notice the booties getting caught up dragging on the wax while bringing front foot fwd several times. Other times, front foot is just way off center and can't reposition; by the time I am in better control everything has already exploded, etc, etc....

No pearling, though I am way fwd enough on the board given its size and its massive center meat; I do get the nose splashing right on to my eyes which does not help in seeing until I'm up....

Conditions were about chest high so not that small (4 foot range) semi clean but mush (not hollow)

I think that as fitness improves, pop-up will improve.... hopefully if I can popup well with wetsuit on, next tr1p down south (warm waters) will be that much better

Thanks again
            Peace

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
              for me, getting up is just feel. i like to be standing before i take the drop. i wud say to try and get in early, once the board feels as if ur on, stable ur hands on the rails, lift shoulders, and then pop up. u dont always have to do it in one motion unless the waves dictate so.

i was also told by a big wave surfer that when making the drop to look at ur feet when getting up. i've done it when waves get some size, and it works.

Thanks for the tips; getting in early could be difficult given the size, but might just be a mental thing. I will try to "longboard" it and see how it goes. Will look at feet too. Mahalo again.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                sounds like your trying initiate the get up with feet or knees on tail... when you do the push up, try and swing your body through with legs clear of the board.. no initial bump up off your tail... how are your abs?? also hows your flexibilty.. especially hip/core freedom (this is most affected in pop ups by tight quads/psoas, quadratus lumborum, lower lats and others... but keep everything loose... i do lots of reverse crunches with those stretches and my body mechanics come good... THAT WORKS FOR ME.. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR CERTIFIED TRAINER BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING... i cant use them with my back but if your cleared to use them then hang your feet in straps just off the ground get in a push up/plank position with your back straight/core drawn in and tight, then "swing" through to your approximate standing position initiating the movement with your core, keeping it drawn in and tight...then return with control...do it "switchfoot" too

having preached all this, i dont do nearly enough myself and am often seen stumbling to my feet like a diseased penguin..!!

happy feet dave
                I am no insanity/p90x master; I do agree I need to be more agile and have better core. I guess having a blast in Costa Rica and struggling here left me wondering. No worries about the doctor disclaimer... but I get you. switchfoot good idea; don't want to end up with asymmetrical body core LOL
                thanks again

Comment

I (my wife) has all the DVDs; insanities, p90x, tapout, you name it, its there. The problem is that having the DVD did not solve it (I have to actually do what the DVD says) ;-)

Comment

Training sucks but even a little bit makes a big difference.
                    Check out the surf stronger DVD too. Some basic exercises that are targeted at improving surf techniques.

Comment

Working...
                    X