X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right fins for baked

I just bought a 5_5 baked to replace my SP. I had controllers on my SP and loved the drive and lines they cut. I planned on getting controllers for this board but settled on futures SA4s. I've had 2 sessions on this board so far and I'm not sure if they're working as well. I weigh just under 200 lbs. Any thoughts from those that have played around with the fin configurations?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...511_224011.jpg

howzit... mine is a 5'7 and i run the SA front/ Pancho front and stretch rears. i'm going to run that set-up on all my boards unless i can use the AMT's. the new SA's r nice w/ yellow tho.

Comment

iggy and Chris.. thoughts?

Fokai,

Thanks for the setup your running. The stretch rears are a bit smaller than the rear SA4's, but I've got a little more weight (not the good kind) for the fins to support, so it may work.

It's been really flat on the West Coast, so I've only had the board in 2 foot slop so far. It's way easier to maneuver than my 5'6" Sweet Potato, so that's been helping with generating speed in this gutless stuff.

I'm curious to try it as a 5 fin to see if that's an option for bigger surf.

By the way, glad to see you're riding a Vanguard and still like the Baked. I've heard great things about the Vanguard, but it looks like the Potato's still have their niche.

Cheers,

Vern

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
      howzit... mine is a 5'7 and i run the SA front/ Pancho front and stretch rears. i'm going to run that set-up on all my boards unless i can use the AMT's. the new SA's r nice w/ yellow tho.

Comment

do u think u might've gone too small? the stretch rears r nice cus their smaller and set further back than the SA's. its smaller for keeping it loose, but still holds and drives well cus of placement.

Comment

I too was not overly impressed with the SA4s. I was able to find a set of Takayama Halos and loved them, but still playing with some others. Going to try the Controllers next. I'll let you know, but also looking forward to knowing what others are using.

Comment

I have loved the Controllers on my Sweet Potatoes and Baked. Also Elevons and Stretches. Recently gave the Elevons another go on my BP and was laughing the whole time. In a good way. I recommend any of those sets. Maybe the Controllers over the others since you are a bigger guy.

Comment

I'm on a 5'3" BP, tried Controllers, too much hold; Stretch, good but less grip; Elevons, expensive but right on the money, never been able to drive/pump a board as fast as my BP with Elevons. I only bought them because they looked cool (LOL) but they work well. I also run a 5th nubster fin when it's a bit bigger for more grip and works a treat.

Comment

For some reason I enjoy the Elevons more on my BP than I did on my SP.

Comment

Anybody got a recommendation for FCS?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd try the K2.1 fronts at the front and the K2.1 Grom fronts as the rears if you can get hold of them to try. I've read good things about that setup in other performance grovellers.

• nottyR6
                    nottyR6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Phil

Thanks, I just got a 5'3" RF and I've stuck some SA1 quads in that I already had. Hopefully they will work if not I'll give the K.2.1s a go, I've already got the fronts.

we just had a major south swell and i busted out the BP on a couple occasions. by far the BP is the fastest board i ever rode. i surfed 4'-6' hayn on a reef break blazing over a sandbar then back over reef, i ran Panchos w/ SA4 rear and Stretch rear split. the Panchos have amazing drive and the SA4 created extra hold while the Stretch kept it loose. if i had a fifth box tho, i wud run AMT's. i wanted to see how far i cud take the BP, and i was impressed. it seems everytime i surf this board, im standing before i drop in. thats a huge advantage when u have to deal w/ crowds. also, the BP is the best revenge board. payback sux when no body can catch u. i aint goin to lie, i like dishing out payback.

Comment

My friend had SA quad on his SP and it was OK (fast but not loose). Swapped out the SA rears for QD400 composites (Stretch rear fin equiv.) and it was like night and day. The board ran faster, more responsive, and recovered easily w/o loosing speed on turns and snaps. I run the QD400 composites with Jordy L fronts on my on my SP and no one can catch me! haha! I let my friend try my fin setup on his 5'3 baked and he loves his board and can't wait to surf everyday now!! lol!

I'm patiently waiting for my Timber Baked...

ALOHA!!

Comment

test

Comment

Ok, it's working again. Sorry for the long no reply but I tried responding several times but it wouldn't post. Looks like my computers glitch fixed itself.

Here's an update on the SA4's. I just surfed the baked in 2-3 foot beach break and I definitely need to swap the fins. When I first got out I caught a right that was a bit flat faced and I had to work the hell out of the board to keep going. My Sweet Potato with the Controllers would just fly down the line on a flat faced wave, and with this setup, although admittedly smaller volume, I was struggling just to keep up with the wave. The rear end of the board felt draggy and I've noticed any time I put in a big carve I lose all momentum, where the controllers would give me speed coming out of a big cut back. However, when the tide pushed out and the waves became more hollow and had a steeper face, these fins work fine. There I found I could work the board down the line with some good speed, but I could probably do that with a regular short board with the more vertical face. I think the rears are too big, and as mentioned above, I need a different rear fin. Too bad I spent 150 bucks on this 5 fin setup and I'll probably use just the two fronts.... either that or just throw down the cash and try the elevons. I'm pretty tempted to see how those work.

Thanks again for the feed back and hopefully this thread will save some people some money out there.

Cheers,

Vern

Comment

The Elevons should cure the problems you are having with the SA4s. Be ready to FLY! And don't feel bad. I've spent too much $$$ finding the perfect fins for the SP and BP.

Comment

Been running the controllers this week and really working it well with those in the small surf we've had this past week. (Working well in small surf definitely tells a story!) May try the elevon's as I like the reviews I'm seeing.

Comment

Working...
                            X