Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guys using large or small Elevons? I'm just under 200 lbs that is weighing down on my 5'5.

Comment

I found a set of Elevons (Large) and tried them out yesterday. The South swell that showed up this week had the spot I was at breaking a really fun 6-7 foot face that lined up nicely down a point. While that may be a bit bigger than what the Baked Potato is designed for, the board never felt small.

My initial feeling with the Elevons is that they feel... tight. The The board still maneuvers nicely when I needed to generate some speed, but I'm wondering if I was getting so much speed from the wave that the Elevons were pushing the tail out of the water, because when I went to cut back, I felt like I had to really press the tail down.

I haven't tried the fins out in small surf yet, and I'm thinking that's were they will shine, but for bigger surf, my initial feeling is they hydroplane the tail of the board too much.

Anyone else have thoughts on Elevon in bigger surf?

Comment

Strange... my post auto deleted from yesterday. Here it is again.

I found a set of Elevons (Large) and tried them out yesterday. The South swell that showed up this week had the spot I was at breaking a really fun 6-7 foot face that lined up nicely down a point. While that may be a bit bigger than what the Baked Potato is designed for, the board never felt small.

My initial feeling with the Elevons is that they feel... tight. The The board still maneuvers nicely when I needed to generate some speed, but I'm wondering if I was getting so much speed from the wave that the Elevons were pushing the tail out of the water, because when I went to cut back, I felt like I had to really press the tail down.

I haven't tried the fins out in small surf yet, and I'm thinking that's were they will shine, but for bigger surf, my initial feeling is they hydroplane the tail of the board too much.

Anyone else have thoughts on Elevon in bigger surf?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Your old post in still there, I can see it!

Strange... all of my posts just showed up? Everytime I posted them, they would disappear. Must be an issue with the Mac I'm using. Sorry for the repeat posts.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like the page often needs refreshing or something. I'm still figuring out this update...

@A.Vern, Elevon is cool but i think it's too cool for it's own good. Anyways, if you get a chance to demo the Jordy Smith Large size, please do you will trip. My recommendation is Jordy L with QD400 rear or Jordy L with Stretch rear. doesn't hurt to try especially if it's free! haha ALOHA!!

Comment

Agreed! this forum is weird and slow. Let's go back to the old one! lol

ALOHA!!

Comment

I'll have to try the QD400's out if I can find a fins tree... apparently they are now rotating rather than at every shop.
            Here's an update on the Elevons. Surfed Church's next to Trestles on a dying 4-5 foot face south swell. It was a very fast point break with a low tide making it hard to catch, then having to run down the face to make the sections. The elevons worked very well here. I could pump the board for speed and fly down the line, the Baked was very maneuverable as I could hit the face vertically and not lose speed. I need more time on this board with these fins to know for sure, but it seems to be working out better. The fins definitely have a different feel, and I think it takes a few sessions to get used to how they work. Controllers were consistent. I didn't have to think about how they would act differently at higher speeds, but these fins may work out. In bigger surf, I think I'll put the SF-4's in the front to see how they work as too much speed results in the tail getting pushed out of the water... although I should just get back on my regular short board when the waves get good but the potato is too much fun!

Mahalo!

Comment

Working...
            X